Anyone can make a Freedom of Information request, regardless of their connection (or lack of it) to the University.
Section 13 of the Act makes it clear that the right of access is not dependent on any particular status.
You can make a request yourself or you can authorise another person (for example, a solicitor) to make a request on your behalf. If you want someone to make a request concerning your personal information, on your behalf, you must give them your written authorisation.
1. Be in writing
Your written application should be addressed to:
Freedom of Information Officer
GPO Box 2476
Melbourne Vic 3001
2. Identify the documents
Clearly describe the documents you seek to access. The request must provide such information concerning the document as is reasonably necessary to allow the University to identify the document sought. However, a request that does not comply cannot be refused before the applicant has been given a reasonable opportunity and assistance to conform to the section.
If the documents are about your personal affairs, you should provide evidence of your identity. For example, a photocopy or electronic copy of your current drivers license.
3. Include the application fee
The University is authorised by virtue of the Freedom of Information (Access Charges) Regulations 2014 to charge applicants certain fees for access to documents requested under the Freedom of Information Act.
There are two fees associated with making a FOI request:
- The application fee
- The access fee.
The application fee is a fixed cost which is non-refundable. The only exception is for people suffering hardship who can ask the University to waive the application fee.
If you want the fee to be waived, you should also include evidence that payment of the fee would cause you financial hardship. For example, a photocopy or electronic copy of your current health care card.
Access fees relate to the costs incurred in granting access to the documents that you have requested. These fees may or may not apply depending on the nature of your request.
All fees and charges are exempt from GST.
- Application fee – $27.90 (non- refundable unless fee is waived).
- Application fee is payable only by cheque or Money Order
- All cheques or Money Orders are to be made payable to: "RMIT University – FOI Application Fee"
- All access fees are payable by cheque or Money Order
- All cheques or Money Orders are to be made payable to "RMIT University – FOI Access Fee"
The schedule of access fees is as follows:
- Searches – $20.90 per hour or part of an hour
- Supervision – $5 per quarter hour
- Photocopying – 20c per black and white A4 page
- Providing access in a form other than photocopying – the reasonable costs incurred by the agency in providing the copy
- Listening to or viewing a tape – the reasonable costs incurred by the agency in making arrangements to listen to or view (supervision charges also apply)
- Making a written transcript out of a tape – the reasonable costs incurred by the agency in providing the written transcript
Note: Processing of your request cannot begin if any of the required information is not supplied.
If you are unsure about what to include with the request, contact the FOI Officer on:
firstname.lastname@example.org or +61 3 9925 1745.