Providing financial support for high-achieving female researchers from developing APEC economies. The 2017 round of the fellowship will open in February 2017.
The Australia - APEC Women in Research Fellowship will provide financial support for high-achieving female researchers from developing APEC economies to pursue research opportunities in partnership with Australian education and research institutions.
This fellowship program aims to encourage the mobility of post-doctorate female researchers in the APEC region. It is therefore designed to assist with the particular challenges female researchers face in undertaking cross-border research activities such as lack of flexibility and extra financial support for child care.
Each year up to ten fellowships will be awarded to facilitate a research project of between one and four months. Within the pool of successful recipients, two fellowships will be offered to early career researchers with less than five years' of professional research experience.
Applications for the 2016 round have now closed. The Australian APEC Study Centre will administer the fellowship, supported by the Australian Government Department of Education and Training.
To be eligible to receive the fellowship, applicants must:
- Be a female citizen or permanent resident of one of the following eligible APEC economies: Chile, People’s Republic of China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mexico, Papua New Guinea, Peru, Philippines, Thailand or Vietnam
- Not be an Australian permanent resident
- Have a PhD degree (conferred by April 2017)
- Be available to commence proposed program between 1 July 2017 and 31 December 2017
- Provide all relevant supporting documentation in English
- Obtain a nomination agreement with an Australian academic institution and/or organisation
- Not be undertaking research or training that leads to a formal qualification between 1 July 2017 and 31 December 2017
The following are the selection criteria and their relative weighting:
- A record of high-level academic achievement and research experience relative to opportunity in the applicant’s chosen field of study (30%)
- A well-defined research program with anticipated outcomes (40%)
- Statement on how the international research would further the applicant’s academic and/or professional career (15%)
- Statement on how the international research opportunity will benefit Australia and the applicant’s potential to foster ongoing collaboration and cooperation between Australian and their home economy (15%)
The 2017 round will open in February 2017. For more infomration please view the 2017 fellowship guidelines below.
For enquiries, or to be added to the mailing list to be contacted when the round opens, please email Cassandra Oaten at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +61 (3) 9925 1096.
All recipients will receive:
- Travel allowance: AU$3,000 for Asian economies and AU$4,500 for South American economies
- Establishment allowance: AU$2,000
- Monthly stipend: AU$3,000
- Monthly family allowance AU$1,200 if applicable