This project will develop fundamental principles to guide the design of efficient and safe nanomaterials for biomedical applications, including biosensors, drug delivery and regenerative medicine.
Funded by ARC Discovery grant DP140101888.
In collaboration, with Professor Molly Stevens' group at Imperial College London, our team conducts fundamental theoretical modelling studies of the molecular structure and dynamics of engineered nanoparticles in biological environment, including proteins, peptides and biological membranes. The latest techniques in computational modelling of biomolecules at all-atom resolution are employed to explore the molecular mechanisms of biomolecular response to the presence of functionalised nanoparticles. The studies will enable rational design of novel nanomaterials with high target selectivity and efficient functionality as well as will help understand potential other health implications of engineered nanoparticles.
- Layer-by-Layer Self-Assembly of polymer films and capsules through Coiled-Coil Peptides, A. J. Gormley, R. Chandrawati, A. J. Christofferson, C. Loynachan, C. Jumeaux, A. Artzy-Schnirman, D.l Aili, I. Yarovsky, M. M. Stevens, Chemistry of Materials, 2015
- Surface presentation of functional peptides determines cell internalization efficiency of TAT modified nanoparticles, N. Todorova, C. Ciapini, M. Mager, B. Simona, I. I. Patel, M. M. Stevens, and I. Yarovsky, Nano Letters, 14 (2014) 5229−5237
- Epitope-tagged gold nanoparticles in immune complex forming systems: on feasibility, mechanism and limitations of single-step immunoassays, H. Andresen, M. Mager, M. Grießner, P. Charchar, N. Todorova, N. Bell, G. Theocharidis, S. Bertazzo, I. Yarovsky, M. M. Stevens, Chemistry of Materials, 26 (2014) 4696-4704
- Amphiphilic amino acids: a key to adsorbing proteins to nanopatterned surfaces?, A. Hung, M. Mager, M. Hembury, F. Stellacci, M. M. Stevens, I. Yarovsky, Chemical Science, 4 (2013) 928 - 937, front cover
- Ordering Surfaces on the Nanoscale: implications for protein adsorption, A. Hung, S. Mwenifumbo, M. Mager, J. Kuna, M. Hembury, F. Stellacci, I. Yarovsky and M. M. Stevens, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 133 (5) (2011) 1438–1450