RMIT has a global reputation for excellence in professional and vocational education, applied research, and engagement with the needs of industry and the community.
One of Australia’s original educational institutions founded in 1887, RMIT University now has 83,000 students, including more than 12,000 at postgraduate level.
- 5-Star QS ranking for excellence in higher education
- 13th highest ranked university in Australia and 252nd in the world 1
- 109th in the world for employer reputation (8th in Australia and 3rd in Victoria) 1
- 35th in the world for the international profile of academic staff 1
- 16th in the world for Art and Design (highest ranked in Australia) 2
- 36th in the world for Architecture and the Built Environment (4th highest in Australia) 2
- Among the world's top 100 universities in Engineering (Civil and Structural; Electrical and Electronic; and Mechanical, Aeronautical and Manufacturing); Accounting and Finance; and Business and Management Studies 2
- Among the world's top 150 universities in Computer Science and Information Systems; Education; Geography; and Communication and Media Studies 2
- 16th in the world and 3rd in Australia among universities less than 50 years old (2016-17 QS Top 50 Under 50 index)
12016-17 QS World University Rankings
22016 QS World University Rankings by Subject
In the prestigious Academic Ranking of World Universities 2016, RMIT is ranked among the top 500 institutions world-wide.
RMIT is also ranked in the 401-500 band in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2016-17.
Excellence in Research
The quality of the RMIT’s research work has been endorsed by the Australian Research Council.
In the 2015 Excellence in Research for Australia evaluation, RMIT was rated “well above world standard” in 13 research fields and “above world standard” in a further nine fields.
Our research in 11 areas of science (including medical science), engineering and applied mathematics, as well as in architecture and media and communications, was ranked among the best in the world.
Victorian International Education Awards
RMIT received the 2015 Victorian Government’s award for Excellence in International Student Employability and Career Development and was a finalist in two other categories.
Our 320,000-strong alumni community stretches across the globe and includes leaders such as News Corporation CEO, Robert Thomson; BHP Billiton Chair, Jacques Nasser; multi-award winning theoretical physicist, Dr Amanda Barnard; and former Edinburgh International Festival Director, Sir Jonathan Mills AO.