RMIT has a global reputation for excellence in professional and vocational education, applied research, and engagement with the needs of industry and the community.
One of Australia’s original educational institutions founded in 1887, RMIT University now has 83,000 students, including more than 12,000 at postgraduate level.
Our 320,000-strong alumni community stretches across the globe and includes leaders such as News Corporation CEO, Robert Thomson; BHP Billiton Chair, Jacques Nasser; New York-based founder of The Fetch and CloudPeeps, Kate Kendall; and former Edinburgh International Festival Director, Sir Jonathan Mills AO.
- 5-Star QS ranking for excellence in higher education
- 13th best university in Australia 1
- 252nd best university in the world 1
- 109th in the world for employer reputation 1
- 8th among Australian universities for employer reputation, and 3rd in Victoria 1
- 35th in the world for the international profile of academic staff 1
- 16th in the world for Art and Design (highest ranked in Australia) 2
- 36th in the world for Architecture and the Built Environment (4th highest in Australia) 2
- Among the world's top 100 universities in Engineering (Civil and Structural; Electrical and Electronic; and Mechanical); Accounting and Finance; and Business and Management Studies 2
- Among the world's top 150 universities in Computer Science and Information Systems; Education; and Geography 2
- 16th in the world among universities less than 50 years old (2016 QS Top 50 Under 50 index)
12016-17 QS World University Rankings
22016 QS World University Rankings by Subject
Excellence in Research
The quality of the RMIT’s research work has been endorsed by the Australian Research Council.
In the 2015 Excellence in Research for Australia evaluation, RMIT was rated “well above world standard” in 13 research fields and “above world standard” in a further nine fields.
Our research in 11 areas of science (including medical science), engineering and applied mathematics, as well as in architecture and media and communications, was ranked among the best in the world.