Our metrology laboratory facilitates a number of nationally and globally unique methods to measure characteristics of materials and structures.
This ISO 7 Class 10,000 laboratory provides researchers with a number of powerful research tools.
- The world’s best micro and nano electro mechanical system vibration measurement capability.
- Quantitative, non-destructive characterisation, inversion, and formation of ferroelectric domains via piezoresponse force microscopy, desktop scanning electron microscope, x-ray diffractometer, and atomic force microscopy systems for rapid materials and device characterisation in-facility.
- A broad suite of electromagnetic and piezoelectric characterisation equipment.
- Packaging and integration equipment enabling flip-chip bonding, wire attachment, wafer bonding, and microassembly fixturing.
- Atomic force microscope (AFM)
- Desktop scanning electron microscope (SEM)
- Dual beam-focussed ion beam (FIB)
- Micro system analyzer (MSA) laser doppler vibrometer
- Microphotospectrometer (CFM)
- Ultra high frequency (UHF) laser doppler vibrometer
Atomic force microscope (AFM)
The Dimension Icon AFM constructs quantitative 3D topographic surface maps and performs electrical characterisation at the nano scale. The microscope (which includes the Peak Force TUNA Application Module) enables all major scanning probe microscopy imaging techniques.
Desktop scanning electron microscope (SEM)
The Agilent FE8500 can be used to image a range of samples down to several tens of nanometres resolution.
Dual beam-focussed ion beam (FIB)
The Ziess ORION NanoFab fabricates nanostructures to a resolution of less than 10 nm, has an imaging resolution of 0.5 nm and can mill with both Helium and Neon in addition to Gallium.
Micro system analyzer (MSA) laser doppler vibrometer
The Polytec MSA-500 analyses and visualises structural vibrations and surface topography in micro structures. The system can measure out-of-plane vibrations with frequencies up to 1.5 MHz.
The CRAIC Technologies 20/30 PVTM measures UV-visible-NIR range transmission, absorbance, reflectance, emission and fluorescence spectra of areas smaller than a micron across.
Ultra high frequency (UHF) laser Doppler vibrometer
The Polytec UHF-120 is a laser system that can measure out-of-plane surface displacements down to picometre resolution. The system can be used to measure solid or liquid surface vibrations with frequencies up to 1,200 MHz.
The laboratory also contains a broad range of tools to assist researchers in using the equipment. Full details are provided in the training modules and manuals for the laboratory.