Professor Jason Potts
Economics , Finance and Marketing
+61 3 9925 5873
- PhD (Economics ), Lincoln University, New Zealand (1999)
- B.Com (Hons, Economics ) University of Otago, NZ, (1993)
Evolutionary economics , Innovation economics (and policy), Institutional economics and Cultural economics .
Research Projects and Funding
- ARC Future Fellowship (2012-2016) FT120100509 ‘The Innovation Commons: How Australian industries are pooling innovation resources and why this matters’ $835,000
- Principal Research Fellow (since 2006) in ARC Centre of Excellence in Creative Industries and Innovation, funded 2003-2013. Chief Investigator in ‘evolutionary economics and creative industries’ stream. $260,000.
- Chief Investigator in ‘Games and the Wider Interactive Entertainment Industry in Australia: An Inquiry into Source of Innovation’ LP100200056. $263,000.
- Project Leader ‘Modeling 4th order complexity in financial systems’ (2004–6) ARC Centre for Complex Systems. Sub-projects: ‘Complex networks and the world trade web’; ‘Complex behaviour in financial markets’; ‘Networked expectations in complex adaptive systems’; ‘Decision rule cascades in complex networks’.
- Founding member of the ARC Centre for Complex Systems, awarded in 2003.
- ‘Computational models of complex adaptive systems’ UQ Research Development Grants Scheme $40,000
External Research Funding
Beijing Institute for the Science of Science (China) project on ‘Creative Cities Index’ (2011) $25,000
NESTA (UK) project on Creative Industries Innovation Vouchers (2008) $10,000
NESTA (UK) project on Embedded Creatives Workforce (2007) $10,000
CIRAC (QUT) project on Evolutionary Economics of Creative Industries (2006) $10,000
- Hartley, J., Potts, J. Cunningham, S., Banks, J., Keane, M. (2012) Key Words in Creative Industries. Routledge.
- Dopfer K, Potts J (eds) (forthcoming) Evolutionary Microeconomics; Evolutionary Mesoeconomics; Evolutionary Macroeconomics (three vols.). Elgar Critical Library, Edward Elgar.
- Potts, J. (2011) Creative Industries and Economic Evolution. Edward Elgar.
- (translated into Chinese and republished by Xiamen University Press, forthcoming, 2013)
- Dopfer, K., J. Potts (2008) The General Theory of Economic Evolution. Routledge. [translated into Russian and Japanese]
- Potts, J. (2000) The New Evolutionary Microeconomics: Complexity, Competence and Adaptive Behaviour. Edward Elgar. [Joint winner with Brian Loasby of the 2000 Schumpeter Prize.]
- Earl, P., Potts, J. (forthcoming) ‘The creative instability hypothesis’ Journal of Cultural Economics
- Hartley, J. Potts, J., MacDonald, T. (2012) ‘Creative City Index’ Cultural Science, 5(1). (e-journal)
- Rennie, E., Potts, J. (May, 2012) ‘Diamonds, pearls and Kimberley girls’ Griffith Review, 36 (e-edition)
- Petzold, T., Liao, H., Hartley, J., Potts, J. (July, 2012) ‘A world map of knowledge in the making: Wikipedia’s inter-language linkage as a dependency explorer of global knowledge accumulation’ Leonardo: Art, Science and Technology.
- Republished in Arts, Humanities and Complex Networks: A Leonardo Multimedia E-book and Web Companion. MIT Press (2012). E-book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007S0UA9Q
- Potts, J. (2012) ‘Novelty bundling markets’ Advances in Austrian Economics , (guest ed. David Andersson) 16: 291-312. (Emerald Group Publishing)
- Potts, J. (2011) ‘The use of happiness in society’ Policy, 27(1): 3-10.
- Earl, P. and Potts J. (2010) ‘Institutions and Governance: The Nobel Prize to Oliver Williamson and Elinor Ostrom’ Review of Political Economy, 23(1): 1-24.
- Potts, J., Foster, J. and Straton, A. (2010) ‘An entrepreneurial model of economic and environmental co-evolution’ Ecological Economics . 70(2): 375-83.
- Potts, J. (2010) ‘Innovation by elimination: An experimental approach to public sector innovation’ Innovation: Management, Practice and Policy, 12(2): 238-48.
- Potts, J., Kastelle, T. (2010) ‘Public sector innovation: What’s next?’ Innovation: Management, Practice and Policy, 12(2): 122-37.
- Potts, J. (2010) ‘Can behavioural biases in choice under novelty explain innovation failures?’ Prometheus, 28(2): 133-48.
- Dopfer, K., Potts, J. (2010) ‘Why evolutionary realism underpins evolutionary economic analysis and theory: A reply to Runde’s critique’ Journal of Institutional Economics , 6(3): 401-13.
- Cunningham, S., Potts, J. (2010) ‘Culture, creativity and the economy: Four models’ Revue d’Economie Politique, 120(1): 163-180.
- Potts, J. (2009) ‘Why the creative industries matter to economic evolution’ Economics of Innovation & New Technology, 18(7): 663-73.
- Banks, J., Potts, J. (2010) ‘Consumer co-creation in online games’ New Media and Society, 12(2): 253-270.
- Dopfer, K., Potts, J. (2009) ‘On the theory of economic evolution’ Evolutionary and Institutional Economics Review, 6(1): 23-44.
- Potts, J., Montgomery, L. (2009) ‘Does weaker copyright mean stronger creative industries? Some lessons from China’ Creative Industries Journal, 1(3): 245-261.
- Potts, J. (2009) ‘Open occupations: Why work should be free’ Economic Affairs, 29(1): 71-76.
- Potts, J. (2009) ‘Creative industries and innovation policy’ Innovation: Management, Practice and Policy, 11(2): 138-47. (Guest Editor of Special Issue on Creative Industries and Innovation)
- Potts, J. (2009) ‘Do developing economies require creative industries? Some old theory about new China’ Chinese Journal of Communication, 2(1): 92-108.
- Potts, J. (2009) ‘The innovation deficit in public services’ Innovation: Management, Policy and Practice, 11(1): 34-43.
- Potts, J. (2008) ‘Economic evolution, identity dynamics and cultural science’ Cultural Science, 1(2) (e-journal)
- Potts, J., Banks, J., Burgess, J., Cobcroft, R., Cunningham, S., Hartley, J., Montgomery, L. (2008) ‘Consumer co-creation and situated creativity’ Industry & Innovation, 15(5): 459-74.
- Potts, J. (2008) ‘Creative industries & cultural science’ Cultural Science, 1(1). (e-journal)
- Potts, J., Cunningham, S., Hartley, J., Ormerod, P. (2008) ‘Social network markets: A new definition of creative industries’ Journal of Cultural Economics , 32(3): 166-185.
- Potts, J., Cunningham, S. (2008) ‘Four models of the creative industries’ International Journal of Cultural Policy 14(3): 233-49.
- Quiggin, J., Potts, J. (2008) ‘Economics of non-market innovation & digital literacy’ Media International Australia, 128: 144-50.
- Potts, J. (2007) ‘Fashionomics’ Policy 23(4): 10–15. [Translated into German and republished in: Merkur: Neugier. Vom europaischen Denken. Sept/Oct 2008, pp. 928-33.]
- Potts J (2007) ‘Art and innovation: An evolutionary view of the creative industries’ UNESCO Observatory e-journal. 1(1).
- Potts J, Mandeville T (2007) ‘Toward an evolutionary theory of innovation and growth in the service economy’ Prometheus, 25(2): 147–160.
- Potts J (2007) ‘What’s new in the economics of arts and culture?’ Dialogue, 26(1): 8–14.
- Earl P, TC Peng, J Potts (2007) ‘Decision rule cascades and the dynamics of speculative bubbles’ Journal of Economic Psychology, 28(3): 351–364
- Potts J and K Morrison (2007) ‘Meso comes to markets’ Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 63(2): 307–312.
- Potts J (2007) ‘Exchange and evolution’ Review of Austrian Economics , 20(2-3): 123–35.
- Potts J (2007) ‘Evolutionary institutional economics ’ (Clarence Ayres Memorial Lecture) Journal of Economic Issues, 41(2): 341–51.
- Chai A, P Earl and J Potts, (2007) ‘Fashion, growth and welfare: An evolutionary approach’ Advances in Austrian Economics , 10(11): 187–207.
- Foster J, A Raine, J Potts (2006) ‘The new entropy law and the economic process’ Ecological Complexity, 3(4): 354–60.
- Potts J (2006) ‘How creative are the super-rich?’ Agenda 13(4): 139–50.
- Dopfer K, J Foster, J Potts (2004) ‘Micro–meso–macro.’ Journal of Evolutionary Economics , 14: 263–279.
- Potts J (2004) ‘Liberty Bubbles’ Policy, 20(3): 15–21.
- Dopfer K and J Potts (2004) ‘Evolutionary realism – a new ontology for economics ’ Journal of Economic Methodology, 11: 195–212.
- Earl P and J Potts (2004) ‘The market for preferences’ Cambridge Journal of Economics , 28: 619–33.
- Potts J (2003) ‘The Prometheus school of information economics ’ Prometheus, 21: 477–86.
- Potts J (2003) ‘What is economic evolution, and how does it relate to liberal philosophy?’ Policy, 19: 58–62.
- Jackson M, T Mandeville and J Potts (2002) ‘Innovation as competition: The evolution of the digital computation industry’ Prometheus 20: 323–36.
- Potts J (2001) ‘Knowledge and markets’ Journal of Evolutionary Economics , 11: 413¬–31. [Translated into Spanish and re-published in Revista Analisis Economico]
- Earl P and J Potts (2001) ‘Latent demand and the browsing shopper’ Managerial and Decision Economics , 21: 111–22.
- Nightingale J and J Potts (2001) ‘An alternative framework for economics .’ Post-Autistic Economics Review, Issue 10. (www.paecon.net). [Reprinted in E Fullbrook (ed) The Crisis in Economics . Routledge.]
- Potts, J. (2012) ‘Creative industries and innovation in a knowledge economy’ Rooney, Hearn & Kastelle (eds) Handbook on the Knowledge Economy, vol 2. Edward Elgar: Cheltenham. (ch 13).
- Potts, J. (forthcoming) ‘New technologies and cultural consumption’ Handbook of the economics of Arts and Culture, vol II. D. Throsby and V. Ginsberg (eds). Oxford University Press.
- Banks, J., Potts J. (2012) ‘Modeling co-creativity: A co-evolutionary approach’ in J. Banks, Co-Creating Videogames. Bloomsbury Academic: London. (chapter 6).
- Foster, J. and Potts, J. (2009) ‘A micro-meso-macro perspective on the methodology of evolutionary economics : integrating history, simulation and econometrics’ In Gaffard, J-L, Nesta, L. and Cantner U., Schumpeterian Perspectives on Innovation, Competition and Growth. Berlin: Springer/Physica, pp. 53-70.
- Potts, J. (2010) ‘Ontology in Economics ’ R Poli (ed) Theory and Applications of Ontology: A handbook. Springer.
- Cunningham, S., Potts, J. (2009) ‘New economics for new media’ Mobile Technologies: from Telecommunications to Media (eds G Goggin and L Hjorth) Routledge. pp. 131-42.
- Potts, J., Montgomery, L. (2008) ‘Global reuse and adaptation in the creative industries: three further arguments against intellectual property’ J Reddy (ed) Creative Commons: International Perspectives. Icafai University Press. pp. 185-217.
- Cunningham, S., Banks, J., Potts, J. (2008) ‘Cultural Economy: The shape of the field’ Anheier H, Isar Y R, (eds.) The Cultural Economy. Sage.
- Morrison, K., Potts, J. (2008) ‘Industry policy as innovation policy’ G Hearn and D Rooney (eds) Knowledge policy: Challenges for the 21st century. Edward Elgar.
- Clark, J., Morrison, K., Potts, J. (2008) ‘The allocation of complexity’ S Yang and A Shan (eds) Intelligent complex adaptive systems. ANU Press.
- Metcalfe, J.S., Potts, J. (2007) ‘Internationalization of Services’ Keys of the World Economy (The Economic Ministry of Spain) (Re-printed in Chinese translation in ‘New perspectives on the creative economy’ (ed) M Keane)
- Potts, J. (2007) ‘X-efficiency vs. X-efficacy’ R Franz (ed) Renaissance in Behavioral Economics : Essays in honour of Harvey Leibenstein. Routledge. Chapter 5.
- Foster, J., Potts, J. (2006) ‘Complexity, networks and the importance of demand and consumption in economic evolution’ M McKelvey and M Holman (eds) Flexibility and Stability in Economic Transformation. Oxford University Press.
- Earl, P., Potts, J. (2004) ‘Bounded rationality and decomposability: The basis for integrating cognitive and evolutionary economics ’ J March and M Augier (eds) Models of a Man: Essays in memory of Herbert A. Simon, MIT Press, MA.
- Dopfer, K., Potts, J. (2004) ‘Evolutionary foundations of economics ’ Metcalfe JS and J Foster (eds) Evolution and Economic Complexity. Edward Elgar. pp. 3–23.
- Potts, J. (2003) ‘Toward an evolutionary theory of homo economicus: the concept of universal nomadism’ J Laurent (ed) Evolutionary Economics and Human Nature. Edward Elgar. pp. 195–216.
- Potts, J. (2001) ‘Commentary: history-friendly theories in economics ’ J Foster and JS Metcalfe (eds) Frontiers of Evolutionary Economics , Edward Elgar. pp. 188–196.
- Potts, J. (2000) ‘Uncertainty, complexity, and imagination’ P Earl and S Frowen (eds) Economics as an Art of Thought: Essays in memory of G.L.S Shackle. Routledge. pp. 162–84.
- Potts, J. (1999) ‘Choice, Complexity, and Connections’ S Dow and P Earl (eds) Contingency, Complexity and the Theory of the Firm. Edward Elgar. pp. 287–305.
Other Professional Publications:
- Bakhshi, H., Freeman, A., Potts J. (2011) State of Uncertainty: Innovation Policy Through Experimentation. NESTA Provocation 14. NESTA: London.
- Potts, J., Morrison, K. (2009) 'Nudging innovation: Fifth generation innovation, behavioural constraints and the role of creative business', NESTA working paper. (www.nesta.org.uk/nudging-innovation/)
- Dopfer K, Potts J ‘Rule-based economics ’
- Dopfer K, Potts JPotts, J. Davidson, S. ‘Institutions of Innovation & the institutional possibility frontier’
- Potts, J., Shehadeh, T., Buddelmeyer, H. ‘Overeducation in Australia’s creative industries’
- Potts, J., Podkalicka, A. ‘A costly signaling theory of thrift and ethical consumption’
- Potts, J. ‘An evolutionary theory of the innovation commons’ (Keynote lecture for 2012 Schumpeter Society conference)
- Kastelle, T., Dodgson, M., Potts, J. ‘The evolution of innovation systems’
- Earl, P., Potts, J. ‘Grand designs versus bean counting: Creative cycles in firms’
- MacDonald, T., Potts, J. ‘Do falling input prices increase variety in creative industries?’
- Potts, J., MacDonald, T. ‘A cultural consumption price index for Australia’
- Potts, J. ‘Evolutionary happiness economics ’
Journal of Institutional Economics (2010–)
Review of AustrianEconomics (2011- )
Innovation: Management, Policy and Practice (2008–)
Cultural Science (2007 –)
Cosmos & Taxis (2012- )
International Perspectives on Creative Economy (2010–)
Book Review Editor:
Innovation: Management, Policy and Practice (2008–)