15 September 2011
Are you the one in six?
Every six seconds, someone, somewhere will die from stroke - regardless of their age or gender.
You can reduce your risk of stroke with these six steps, as suggested by the National Stroke Foundation:
- Know the risk factors: high blood pressure, diabetes and high blood cholesterol
- Get plenty of regular exercise
- Eat a healthy diet
- Limit alcohol consumption
- Avoid cigarette smoke. If you smoke, quit today
- Learn to recognise the warning signs of stroke and act F-A-S-T.
For information and advice on stroke prevention, treatment, recovery and support, visit the Stroke Foundation site or call StrokeLine 1800 787 653.
For information about National Stroke Week, visit the Stroke Foundation.