Improving health and lifestyle
Academics at RMIT are using state-of-the-art technology to develop innovative approaches to preventing and managing lifestyle diseases, in particular cardiovascular diseases, insulin resistance and diabetes, obesity, arthritis, mental illness and stroke.
Who is making an impact?
- The Health Innovations Research Institute focuses its research in the fields of biophysics and bioengineering, ion channels and transporters as therapeutic targets, metabolism, exercise and disease and traditional and complementary medicine.
- The Centre for Applied Social Research undertakes research and promotes public debate on key areas of social change and social policy.
- The Centre for Construction Work Health and Safety Research examines regions in the midst of social, environmental and economic transition to assist industry, government, workers and communities manage the impact of these changes
- The Micro/Nanomedical Research Centre aims to solve the technological problems underlying the availability, accessibility, and affordability of point-of-care diagnostics, drug delivery, and advanced medical equipment.
- The Centre for Sustainable Organisations and Work examines employment relations, organisational studies, industrial relations, gender studies, globalisation and logistics, business and labour history, political economy and sociology, with particular attention given to the Asia Pacific Region.
- The Water: Effective Technologies and Tools Research Centre is developing the means for sustainable provision of clean safe water, particularly for cities.
- The Young and Well Cooperative Research Centre explores the role of technology in young people’s lives, and how technology can be used to improve the mental health and wellbeing of young people aged 12 to 25.
- The WHO Collaboration Centre for Traditional Medicine and the Chinese Medicine Confucius Institute in partnership with Nanjing University of Chinese Medicine conduct research including clinical studies in the field of traditional Chinese medicine.
- RMIT showcases the future of engineering 24/11/2014RMIT University research and innovation will be showcased at the international Engineers Australia convention this week.
- RMIT wins $6.37m in ARC research funding 10/11/2014RMIT researchers have been awarded $6.37 million in funding, in the latest round of Australian Research Council (ARC) funding schemes.
- Gait monitoring system engineers progress 07/11/2014An RMIT researcher has devised a wireless gait monitoring system with exciting applications in healthcare, rehabilitation and sport.
Excellence in Research Australia