Company pool car usage - guidelines

Intent and objectives

The guidelines below outline the administration of central pool cars and departmental designated vehicles. All employees who are entitled to use a company car are to make themselves totally familiar with these guidelines.


It is the responsibility of each driver to ensure that the pool car is kept clean and filled with petrol. A pool car should not be returned with less than a quarter tank of petrol.

Number/ type

The Capital Investment Review Board (CIRB) will approve the number and type of pool cars to be allocated to departments, branches and areas.

Replacement period

60,000kms or 3 years or as advised at purchase by CIRB.


Pool cars may be used for:

  • Company business during normal working hours;
  • After normal working hours with approval granted by authorised position (see Approval of use)
  • Overnight or on weekend to replace an assigned car that has been temporarily retained for repair, provided this does not conflict with regular business use.

The pool car should not be used to substitute for an assigned vehicle that is not damaged or to which an employee is entitled but chooses not to take up.

The car should be returned to the University and be available for business use during business hours.

Approval for Use

Day use:

Central area:

Branch Manager


Head of School/Department

Overnight or weekend use:

Central area:

Executive Director, Financial Services.


Responsible PVC

Logbooks must be maintained in the vehicle to record the approval details.

Note: Approval process can be sub delegated to an appropriate position within the organization by the responsible person noted above or their delegate

Garaging of pool vehicle

Pool vehicles must be grounded in their designated garage unless alternative arrangements are approved by the responsible person noted above or their delegate.

Please note that a motor vehicle fringe benefits tax (FBT) liability may arise if a pool motor vehicle is consistently garaged at an employees house and is not classified as ‘tool trade’ motor vehicle i.e. commercial vehicle.

Inspection of pool cars

The Fleet Administrator, Financial Services will inspect the pool car(s) at regular intervals (at least quarterly) to ensure they are appropriately maintained.

Illegal offences

Fines for speeding, parking (commercial registration may not necessarily permit parking in loading zones), etc., offences are to be paid by the driver, including those incurred when on company business.

Note: All damages and costs associated with an accident where driver is under the influence of illegal drugs or alcohol will be borne by the driver.

Mobile phone use in company cars

When driving, the ‘in-car’ hands free option must be utilized when using a mobile phone. Aside from the safety aspect, it is illegal to use a mobile phone without the hands free option when driving. Prosecution can prove costly.

Note: Any prosecution resulting from illegal usage will be the sole responsibility of the employee concerned and may result in the withdrawal of the facility.

Smoking in company cars

Smoking is prohibited in all pool cars.

Mechanical repairs

Arrange for repairs to be carried out by the car dealer based upon the warranty arrangement between RMIT and the dealer.

Note: If repairs are required to be carried out by a party other than the dealer, approval should be obtained from the Fleet Administrator, Financial Services.

Car service, petrol and car wash expenses

A Custom Fleet card is assigned to every pool car. It should be used for purchase of petrol and other incidental expenses including car service and car wash expenses.

The pool vehicle’s odometer reading must be quoted when refuelling.

Branch manger or Head of School will monitor petrol usage and other incidental expenses on a monthly basis.


Sheen Panel Services (1800 622 120) is the approved service provider. Please contact the service provides for the rectification of vehicle damage resulting from accidents.

Sheen Panel Service will handle everything including repairs and insurance claims lodgement. If required, they will provide a replacement vehicle for the duration the vehicle is being repaired.

Theft (vehicle or contents)

  • Report the theft to the Police and retain statement for lodgement with CGU insurance (1300 550 193).
  • Advise department head / branch manager of occurrence.

Key contacts

  • Fleet Administrator, ext 50610
  • Executive Director Financial Services, ext 50643

[Next: Supporting documents and information]