Guidelines for the use of video and YouTube embedded services
These guidelines apply to all University staff when wishing to embed any video on RMIT web sites.
The aim of these guidelines is to improve the look and feel, consistency and delivery of, RMIT video.
By using official channels on YouTube & iTunesU to host the content, and embedding the video on our own sites, we maximise the exposure and traffic to both our online channels and our own site. Additionally this allows cross pollination of interest in other video, and strengthens our strategic partnerships with these services. As the end result video is produced in the most widely accepted and most accessible format, the uptake is also greater.
1. In the first instance, all uploads to YouTube should be processed through the University interact team at Interact with RMIT. Embed code will be provided to you by return for publishing, and the team will assist in publicising your video through RMIT’s social marketing channels.
2. A consistent size, colour and presentation for embedded video added to RMIT pages has been defined. All code provided by YouTube is left intact and we use the options presented in the image below:
- A link to the video on YouTube must be placed underneath your embedded video.
3. To meet basic web accessibility requirements, offering additional options to view video must be given. Always add a Quicktime [.mov] file copy of the video for download within your page placed directly underneath the embedded video.
4. If a transcript can be made available of the video, this is preferred that you also add this to your page, again directly underneath the embedded video.
5. For assistance or more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org[Next: Supporting documents and information ]