As a University of Technology and Design, RMIT is focussed on working with partners to create innovative solutions to transform the future. Through a focus on application and transformation, research at RMIT is undertaken in specialised areas of strength and underpins our curriculum.
As part of RMIT’s Research and Innovation Plan 2011 – 2015, research supports initiatives including:
- Nodes in key cities that are bases for research and research training and focussed on outcomes to benefit these local communities.
- Our world class facilities design, test, implement and showcase innovative research and our campuses are linked to the life of the city in which they are located, connecting to the urban landscape and engaging with industry and community.
- Supported by a Partnership Value Proposition, stronger and deeper connections with industry and community research partners through collaborations and research training enable research to have greater more impact when it involves other organisations.
As a global, urban and connected university, research at RMIT aims to solve critical global problems affecting communities and the environment in its five research focus areas.
Designing the future
An international leader in design research, RMIT academics work collaboratively across design disciplines.
Smart technology solutions
Researchers at RMIT are developing innovative solutions to complex technical challenges.
Improving health and lifestyle
Our academics undertake research in traditional and complementary medicine.
Sustainability and climate change challenges
RMIT’s whole-of-system approach tackles issues impacting our environment.
The future of cities
RMIT is developing solutions to the social and environmental challenges arising from our rapidly changing urban environment.
- Liquid metal pump a breakthrough for micro-fluidics 03/03/2014Researchers have developed the world's first liquid metal enabled pump, a revolutionary new micro-scale device with no mechanical parts.
- Postgrad program fuses technology and design 23/01/2014The integration of digital technologies with design practice is the focus of a new postgraduate program.
- European architecture luminaries share PhD research 16/12/2013Some of Europe's top architects and landscape architects have shared insights into their practice and RMIT University doctoral research.
RMIT Research and Innovation Plan