Smart technology solutions
Academics at RMIT are using breakthrough technologies to develop innovative solutions to complex technical challenges. These solutions require both the development of theoretical and technical know-how as well as the skills to design, invent, test and apply smart devices.
Who is making an impact?
- The Platform Technologies Research Institute draws together researchers from many disciplinary backgrounds, to provide industry with the expertise to develop smart technology solutions.
- The Design Research Institute investigates issues such as, interactive spatial information systems and performance-enhancing sports garments.
- The Centre for Advanced Electronics and Sensors carries out multidisciplinary research and development in sensors, electronics, microfluidics, lab-on-a-chip, solar cells, thermopower waves and developing novel functional materials.
- The Centre for Advanced Materials and Industrial Chemistry focusses on research in the field of environmental damage mitigation technology and advanced materials, with specialisation in the areas of industrial chemistry, metal nanoparticles, and nanoscience and technology.
- The Centre for Advanced Materials and Performance Textiles undertakes research into advanced textile materials for high performance applications.
- The Communication Technologies Research Centre provides applied and theoretical research into problems associated with radio frequency systems from the physical layer to the network layer.
- The Centre for Innovative Structures and Materials develops structural optimisation techniques to design innovative buildings and bridges, and to create new microstructures of materials and composites
- The Micro/Nanomedical Research Centre aims to solve the technological problems underlying the availability, accessibility, and affordability of point-of-care diagnostics, drug delivery, and advanced medical equipment.
- The Microelectronics and Materials Technology Centre undertakes research in the fields of integrated optics, lab-on-a-chip devices, nanotechnology enabled devices, sensors, functional materials, microsystems, microelectronic devices, and RF/microwave technologies
- The Centre for Molecular and Nanoscale Physics conducts fundamental and applied research in theoretical, computational and experimental aspects of physics at the nanoscale.
- The Rheology and Materials Characterisation Laboratory supports processing research specialising in polymer processing, rheology, slurries and multi-phase mixtures.
- The Sir Lawrence Wackett Aerospace Centre focuses its research on aerospace structures and materials, through-life management technologies, dynamic aerospace systems, aerospace design and manufacturing processes
- The Satellite Positioning for Atmosphere, Climate and Environment Research Centre perform cutting-edge research into platform technologies for space, atmosphere and climate applications.
- The Functional Materials and Microsystems Research Group specialises in thin film synthesis, microfabrication, and materials characterisation developing platforms incorporating electronic materials for research in fundamental physics, applied sciences, and microsystems.
- The Australia-India Research Centre for Automation Software Engineering is a Victorian and Indian bilateral research centre for real-world applications in the field of global software engineering for automation and heavy engineering.
- The ARC Centre of Excellence for Ultrahigh Bandwidth Devices and Optical Systems aims to transform photonic integrated circuits into a practical, powerful technology employing optical signal processing to enable critical applications spanning communications, sensing and security.
- The Cooperative Research Centre for Advanced Automotive Technology investigates vehicle electrification, gaseous fuels and sustainable automotive manufacturing.
- The Cooperative Research Centre for Advanced Composite Structures enables innovative design, low-cost manufacture and support of application-critical composites structures.
- The Cooperative Research Centre for Advanced Manufacturing conducts research in advanced materials, next generation processes, knowledge based manufacturing, renewable energy technologies, Small and Medium Enterprise engagement, education and innovation management.
- The Smart Services Cooperative Research Centre research projects address challenges across the areas of customer service needs, ecosystems for service delivery and services of the future.
- The CAST Cooperative Research Centre undertakes research in the creation of innovative metals technology.
- RMIT delivers $30 million boost to micro and nano-tech 01/09/2014A new $30 million research facility at RMIT University will drive cutting-edge advances in micro- and nano-technologies.
- Exertion Games Lab excels on the world stage 26/08/2014A team of researchers from RMIT University are making waves in the world of interactive gaming.
- Laser technique offers nano breakthrough 22/08/2014Researchers have uncovered a new way of using lasers to directly write patterns onto special crystals, in a nanotechnology breakthrough.
Excellence in Research Australia