Assoc Professor Tom Molyneaux
Civil, Environmental & Chemical Eng
+(61 3) 9925 3232
Science, Engineering & Health
Tom Molyneaux is an engineer with a long track record in engineering research and university education. With over 100 publications he has a strong background in masonry, impact dynamics and concrete durability, including valuable experience in instrumentation, NDT, data acquisition and non-linear numerical modelling gained over a 25 year history. He is actively engaged in research in collaboration with industry and universities – both in Australia and through international collaboration.
As Deputy Head – Learning & Teaching he is responsible to the Head of School for the management and conduct of the courses and teaching programs across the School. The position provides leadership and direction to the teaching and learning activities within the School ensuring a student centred approach is adopted to the teaching and learning activities with a focus on the development of the graduate attributes. He has a particular focus on project-based learning and the innovative use of IT.
BSc (hons, UK), PhD (Leeds, UK)
- Design engineer at John Smith Cranes, Keighley, U.K. (1980 -1983)
- Senior engineer (structures/analyst) at Ove Arup and Partners, Industrial Engineering Division, London (1983 – 1989).
- University of Liverpool, Lecturer, Dept. of Civil Engineering (1989-2003).
- A/Prof. Deputy Head – Learning & Teaching, School of Civil, Environmental and Chemical Engineering (2003 - Ongoing).
Affiliations / Professional memberships
- MIMechE - Member Institution of Mechanical Engineers (UK)
- C.Eng – Chartered Engineer (Europe)
- Member, Concrete Institute of Australia
- Member International Masonry Society
Areas of current research and consulting expertise
- Durability of Reinforced Concrete
- Non destructive testing of reinforced concrete
- Corrosion of reinforcement in concrete
- Lifetime prediction of reinforced concrete structures
- Sulphate attack of concrete
- Whole of lifetime cost
- Sustainable housing
- Lifetime prediction of concrete structures
- Infrastructure management
- Geopolymer and Alkali Activated Slag concretes
- Masonry structures
- Impact and crash dynamics
- Non-linear numerical analysis
- Aircraft impact into structures
- Crash barriers, vehicle impacts
- Finite element analysis DYNA3D
- Blast loading
- Teaching and Learning
- Concept inventory
- Max Frank – Controlled Permeability Formwork research
- Maunsell, Monash and Victoria Port Authorities – ARC Linkage - “Improved Management of Australian Port Infrastructure by Development of Predictive Ageing Simulation”
- Department of Sustainability and Environment, Victoria – “Life Expectancy of Concrete Septic Tanks under Biogenic Sulphuric Acid Corrosion”
- Bill Jordan & Associates Pty Ltd, - Masonry structural analysis.
- VSL – Reactive Powder Concrete
- Zhengzhou University, China – sulphate attack of cementitious materials
- Heriot Watt University – Exchange program, NDT of concrete, durability
- Liverpool University – Blast loading of reinforced and Reactive Powder Concrete.
- 2000-2003: Invited member of the British Standards Committee (BS 6779 and European code EN1317) – road side parapets. Role on the committee as a dynamics, mortar, masonry and concrete specialist.
- 2004: Invited as an editor of “Engineering a Secure Australia” (special edition) published by Engineers Australia.
- 2005: Award for ‘Innovation in Teaching Applied Mechanics’ – awarded triennially by the National Committee on Applied Mechanics (of Engineers Australia).
- 2005: Received two RMIT teaching honours– a students’ choice award and an award for student centred teaching.
- 2006: Editorial panel of the Eighth International Conference on Computational Structures Technology (Spain, September 2006)
- 2006: Organising committee for the 4th International Conference on Structural Engineering and Construction
- 2007: RMIT Teaching Award for first year experience
- 2008: RMIT Teaching Award – Certificate of achievement.
Selected publications – recent years
- Cao J L, John S & Molyneaux T, ‘Energy Transduction Analysis of Piezoelectric-based Vibration Control of Smart Structures’, ANZIAM Journal, C733-C759, 2007, ISSN - 1446-8735.
- Molyneaux T., Setunge S., Gravina R., and Xie M. “An evaluation of learning of structural engineering concepts during the first two years of a problem-based engineering degree”, European J. of Engineering Education, Vol 32, No 1, Publ. Taylor and Francis, ISSN 1469-5898, pp 1-8, March 2007
- Burnett S., Gilbert M., Molyneaux T., A. Tyas, Hobbs B. & Beattie G. “The response of masonry joints to dynamic tensile loading” Journal of Materials and Structures, Vol..40, ISSN 1359-5997, pp 517-527, 2007
- Burnett S., Gilbert M.,MolyneauxT., Beattie G. & Hobbs B. “The performance of unreinforced masonry walls subjected to low-velocity impacts: finite element analysis” Int. J. of Impact Eng. No 34, pp 1433-1450, 2007
- *Rahman S., Molyneaux T. and Patnaikuni I., “Ultra high performance concrete: recent applications and research”, Australian Journal of Civil Engineering, vol 2, No. 1, 2005, pp 13- 20
- Shaw M.R., Millard S.G., Molyneaux T.C.K., Taylor M.J. and Bungey J.H., “Location of steel reinforcement in concrete using ground penetrating radar and neural networks” NDT & E International, Volume 38, Issue 3, 2005, pp 203-212
- Shaw M.R., Molyneaux T.C.K., Millard S.G., Taylor M.J. and Bungey J.H., “Assessing bar size of steel reinforcement in concrete using ground penetrating radar and neural networks” Insight – Journal of the British Society of Non-destructive Testing, Volume 45 Number 12, ISSN 1354-2575, 2003, pp 813 – 816
Refereed Conference Papers
- Patnaikuni I. & Molyneaux T.C.K., “Reorienting Civil Engineering Education”, International Civil Engineering Conference on Civil Engineering and Sustainable development (CE2008), 23-25 September 2008, Mombasa, Kenya
- Molyneaux T.C.K., “An investigation into the impact of group WIKIs to facilitate project based learning in the first year of an engineering degree programme”, Transforming the student experience – Higher Education Academy annual conference, Harrogate, UK, 1-3 July 2008 http://www.heacademy.ac.uk/resources/detail/events/conference/Ann_conf_2008_Tom_Molyneaux
- Tang D.L., Molyneaux T.C.K., Law D. & Gravina R.J., “The influence of chloride induced corrosion cracks on the strength of confined and unconfined reinforced concrete”, 12th International Conference on Structural Faults & Repair, 10-12 June 2008.
- Molyneaux T. & Brumley J, “The use of wikis as a management tool to facilitate group project work” Proceedings of AAEE 2007: Eighteenth Annual Conference of the Australasian Association for Engineering Education, Publ. Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Vic. 3010, ISBN 978-0-9757172-1-9, Dec 2007
- Venkatesan S., Molyneaux T.C.K. & Setunge S., “An evaluation of problem based learning in civil engineering’ ICEER conference, Melbourne, Dec 2007.
- *Tang D.L., Gravina R.J., Law D., Molyneaux T.C.K., “Bond strength loss of chloride induced corrosion of reinforced concrete specimens”, 2nd International Conference on Structural Condition Assessment, Monitoring and Improvement, SCAMI-2, Changsha, China. 19-21 November 2007, Eds Prof. Wei-Xin Ren, & Prof. Hong Hao,
- *Adam A., Molyneaux T., Law D. & Patnaikuni, I., “Strength of mortar containing activated slag and fly ash”, Concrete Institute of Australia's 23rd Biennial Conference at the Adelaide Convention Centre October 1820, 2007.
- *Patnaikuni I., Molyneaux T. & Novotny J. “A Rammed Earth and Concrete Wall System for Sustainable Housing“, Proc. “Innovations in structural engineering and construction”, Eds. Xie Y.M. & Patnaikuni I., 4th International Conference on Structural Engineering and Construction, Melbourne, Taylor and Francis, London, ISBN 978-0-415-45755-2, 2007 , Pp 287-291.
- *Adam A., Molyneaux T., Patnaikuni I. & Law D., “Strength of mortar containing activated slag”, Proc. “Innovations in structural engineering and construction”, Eds. Xie Y.M. & Patnaikuni I., 4th International Conference on Structural Engineering and Construction, Melbourne, Taylor and Francis, London, ISBN 978-0-415-45755-2, 2007 , Pp 505-508
- *Adam A., Molyneaux T., Law D., Patnaikuni, I., “Controlled Permeability Formwork a recent development”, Proc. “International Conference on fast track construction of bridges for important projects”, Hyderabad, India, 23-25 Feb. 2007, Eds. M.C. Bhide, N.S. Moorthy & S.A. Shendurnikar, Pp 247-253, Feb 2007.
- *Patnaikuni I., Molyneaux T. & Novotny J. ”A concrete and rammed earth composite wall system for sustainable housing” at the 'International Conference on Civil Engineering in the new millennium: Opportunities and Challenges' Bengal Engineering and Science University, 2007. [Invited keynote paper]
- Patnaikuni I. & Molyneaux T. “Housing construction for sustainability”, Proc. Conf. of Sustainable Materials in the Built Environment, Melbourne, Feb 2007 [Invited paper]
- *Adam A., Molyneaux T. & Patnaikuni, I., “Controlled Permeability Formwork: Recent Development”, proc. International Conference on Pozzolan, Concrete and Geopolymer, Khon Kaen, Thailand, ISBN 974-9813-91-X, May 2006 [Keynote Paper]
- *Venkatesan S., Setunge S., Molyneaux T. and Fenwick J., “Evaluation of distress mechanisms in bridges exposed to aggressive environments”, CRC CI – Second International conference: Clients Driving Innovation: Moving Ideas into Practice, 12-14 March 2006., Brisbane, Australia.
- Perera C., Setunge S. & Molyneaux T., “Structural strengthening for optimizing floor space during retrofitting of high-rise office buildings”, CRC CI – Second International conference: Clients Driving Innovation: Moving Ideas into Practice, 12-14 March 2006., Brisbane, Australia.
- Molyneaux T., Setunge S., Gravina R., & Xie M. “The learning of concepts in structural engineering within a problem based learning environment”, Proc. EE 2006 - International Conference on Innovation, Good Practice and Research in Engineering Education, Eds. Susan Doyle and Adam Mannis, Liverpool, UK Published and distributed by The Higher Education Academy, UK, ISBN 1-905788-11-8 July 2006
- J. L. Cao, Sabu John, and T. Molyneaux, “piezoelectric-based vibration control in composite structures” The 2006 International Conference on Embedded Systems and Applications (ESA'06: June 26-29, 2006, Las Vegas, USA)
- Cao J., L., John S., & Molyneaux T.C.K., “Optimisation of passive piezoelectric vibration shunt control based on strain energy transfer and online frequency detection” Conference: SPIE-06 - 13th SPIE Annual International Symposium on Smart Structures and Materials, 26 February-2 March 2006, San Diego, California USA.
- *Tang D.L., Molyneaux T.C.K., Law D., Gravina R. & Ward L. “The influence of chloride induced corrosion cracks on the strength of reinforced concrete”, 19th Annual Conference on the Mechanics of Structures and Materials Christchurch, NZ, Dec 2006, In: “Progress in Mechanics of Structures and Materials”, Ed. P Moss & R Dhakal, Publ. Taylor & Francis Group, London, UK, ISBN 13-978-0-415-42692-3, Dec 2006
- Gao, X., Molyneaux, T.C.K., Patnaikuni, I. & Rahman, S.M.S., “Dynamic properties of fibre reinforced and plain ultra high performance concretes”, 19th Annual Conference on the Mechanics of Structures and Materials Christchurch, NZ, Dec 2006, In: “Progress in Mechanics of Structures and Materials”, Ed. P Moss & R Dhakal, Publ. Taylor & Francis Group, London, UK, ISBN 13-978-0-415-42692-3, Dec 2006
- *Adam A., Molyneaux T., Law D. & Patnaikuni, I., “The Effect of Controlled Permeability Formwork on the Curing of Concrete”, 19th Annual Conference on the Mechanics of Structures and Materials Christchurch, NZ, Dec 2006, In: “Progress in Mechanics of Structures and Materials”, Ed. P Moss & R Dhakal, Publ. Taylor & Francis Group, London, UK, ISBN 13-978-0-415-42692-3, Dec 2006
- *Venkatesan S., Setunge S., Molyneaux T.C.K. & Gravina R. “Towards a rule-based matrix for evaluating distress mechanisms in bridges”, 19th Annual Conference on the Mechanics of Structures and Materials Christchurch, NZ, Dec 2006, In: “Progress in Mechanics of Structures and Materials”, Ed. P Moss & R Dhakal, Publ. Taylor & Francis Group, London, UK, ISBN 13-978-0-415-42692-3, Dec 2006
- *Rahman, S.M.S., Patnaikuni, I. & Molyneaux, T. “Reactive powder concrete – properties, applications and research”, Proceedings of the 1st California Conference on Recent Advances in Engineering Mechanics, Editors: Kreiner, J. and Putcha, C., California State University, Fullerton CA, USA, Dec 2005, pp 92-97
- *Rahman, S.M.S., Molyneaux, T. and Patnaikuni, I., “Development of Modified Reactive Powder Concrete with Compressive strength of 110-120 MPa”, Proc. of the Third International structural Engineering and Construction Conference, Sept. 20-23, 2005, Shunan, Japan, pp 763-767
- Cao J.L., John S. and Molyneaux T., “The Effectiveness of Piezoelectric Vibration Shunt Control Based on Energy Transmission between Structure and PZT”, The 7th Biennial Engineering Mathematics and Applications Conference, Melbourne, 2005
- *Nezamian A., Setunge S. and Molyneaux T.C.K., “A framework for predicting the residual load carrying capacity of concrete structures exposed to aggressive environments”, ConMat’05, Third International Conference on Construction Materials, Vancouver, Canada, Aug 2005
- Cao J., L., John S., and Molyneaux T.C.K., “Computer modelling and simulation of passive piezoelectric vibration shunt control”, Proceedings of the 2005 International Conference on Modelling, Simulation and Visualization Methods, Las Vegas, USA., Editor – H R Arabnia, 27-30 June 2005, CSREA Press, pg 32-36, ISBN 1-932415-70-X.
- * Patnaikuni I., Rahman S.M.S., and Molyneaux T.C.K., “Ultra high performance concrete: recent developments” Special Invited Paper for the Platinum Jubilee Celebrations of Usmania, University Engineering College, Hyderabad, India, April 2005.
- Cao J., L., John S., and Molyneaux T.C.K., “Piezoelectric-based vibration control optimization in nonlinear wood and composite structures”, Smart Structures and Materials 2005: Smart Structures and Integrated Systems, Editor: Alison B. Flatau, SPIE Volume: 5764, 2005, pg 378-389, ISSN 0-8194-5745-0.
- Molyneaux T.C.K., Beattie G., Gilbert M., Burnett S., Hobbs B., “The behaviour of masonry subject to dynamic loading – an experimental and numerical study” in “Developments in Mechanics of Structures and Materials”, Proc. 18th Australasian Conf on the Mechanics of Structures and Materials” Ed J Deeks and Hong Hao, Perth, Australia, ISBN 04 1536 611 9, Dec 2004, pp 387-392.
- Cao J., L., John S., and Molyneaux T.C.K., “Piezoelectric-based Vibration Control Optimization Using Impedance Matching Technique”, Proceedings of the Second Australasian Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, 16-17 December 2004 Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Paper 15, ISBN 0 9756992 0 2.
- Rahman S.M.S., Molyneaux T.C.K. and Patnaikuni I., “Compressive Strength of Modified Reactive Powder Concrete” ICACC-2004 International Conference on Advances in Concrete and Construction, Hyderabad, Dec 2004, pp999-1008
- Cao J., L., John S., and Molyneaux T.C.K., “Finite Element Analysis Modelling of Piezoelectric Shunting for Passive Vibration Control” CIMCA2004, Computational Intelligence for Modelling, Control and Automation, Gold Coast, Australia, July 2004, pp 817-825, ISBN 174 0881885.
- Molyneaux T.C.K., Beattie G., Gilbert M., Burnett S., Hobbs B., and Newton P., “Finite element analysis of reinforced and unreinforced masonry parapets subjected to vehicle impacts” Proc. 7th Australasian Masonry Conference, Ed. M Masia, Newcastle, NSW, ISBN 1 9207 0141 9, July 2004, pp 122-131
- Beattie G., Molyneaux T.C.K., Gilbert M. and Burnett S., “Finite element analysis of masonry subject to both quasi-static and dynamic out-of-plane loading”. Proc. 13th IBMAC International brick/block masonry conf Amsterdam, July 4-7, 2004. Ed. Prof. Dirk Martens, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands
- Gilbert M., Burnett S., Molyneaux T.C.K., Beattie G., and Hobbs B. “Finite element analysis of masonry walls subject to out-of-plane impacts” Sixth International Symposium on Computer Methods in Structural Masonry 22nd - 24th September, Rome, Italy, 2003, pp 7
- *Shaw M.R., Millard S.G., Molyneaux T.C.K., Taylor M.J. and Bungey J.H., “Location of steel reinforcement in concrete using gpr & neural networks“, Proceedings of Structural Faults & Repair-2003, July 1-3, 2003, London, UK, CD-ROM, 2003, pp 1-10
- Sturt R., Willford M., Molyneaux T.C.K., Mole A., Kawidjaja L., “The Cyclic Response of Reinforced Concrete Shear Walls” ASSCCA’03 – Advances in Structures – Sydney June 23-25, 2003, Ed. G.J.Hancock et al, Publ. A.A.Balkema Netherlands, 2003, pp 1345-1350