Sustainability and climate change challenges
Sustainability and climate change are widely recognised as among the most critical issues facing society.
RMIT academics across many different disciplines are tackling climate change on a range of fronts, such as:
- developing technology to analyse the effects of greenhouse gases on water and food sources
- mapping and modelling the potential impacts of climate change on different species and
- developing and evaluating effective policy and community responses to the effects of climate change.
Who is making an impact?
- The Design Research Institute conducts research into the how factors such as sustainability and climate change will impact the future urban environment.
- The Global Cities Research Institute conducts research on climate change with a strong focus on the social impact of increasing climate vulnerability and severity of natural disasters.
- The Centre for Design investigates the potential environmental impacts of products and services and undertakes projects in sustainable built environments and sustainable products and packaging
- The Centre for Sustainable Organisations and Work investigates the social dimensions of the transition to a more economically and environmentally sustainable world
- The Centre for Urban Research conducts research in the fields of urban planning and social and environmental urban research.
- The Satellite Positioning for Atmosphere, Climate and Environment Research Centre investigates and develops technologies for atmospheric and climate monitoring.
- The Water: Effective Technologies and Tools Research Centre is developing the means for sustainable provision of clean safe water, particularly for cities.
- The Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute conducts research in the areas of sustainable housing and urban planning
- The Bushfires Cooperative Research Centre conducts research in understanding and managing the risk of bushfires.
- Exploring new horizons for sustainability in Asia 24/07/2014RMIT researchers have co-authored a pioneering guide to tackling issues of sustainability in south-east Asia.
- Smart weather prediction system for disasters 21/07/2014Researchers are developing a smart GPS-based weather prediction system to help reduce the risk and impact of natural disasters.
- Putting Indigenous housing and urban food security on the agenda 09/07/2014RMIT researchers have contributed to a new UN declaration that says Indigenous equality is the key to sustainable urban development.
Excellence in Research Australia