Sustainability and climate change challenges
Sustainability and climate change are widely recognised as among the most critical issues facing society.
RMIT academics across many different disciplines are tackling climate change on a range of fronts, such as:
- developing technology to analyse the effects of greenhouse gases on water and food sources
- mapping and modelling the potential impacts of climate change on different species and
- developing and evaluating effective policy and community responses to the effects of climate change.
Who is making an impact?
- The Design Research Institute conducts research into the how factors such as sustainability and climate change will impact the future urban environment.
- The Global Cities Research Institute conducts research on climate change with a strong focus on the social impact of increasing climate vulnerability and severity of natural disasters.
- The Centre for Design investigates the potential environmental impacts of products and services and undertakes projects in sustainable built environments and sustainable products and packaging
- The Centre for Sustainable Organisations and Work investigates the social dimensions of the transition to a more economically and environmentally sustainable world
- The Centre for Urban Research conducts research in the fields of urban planning and social and environmental urban research.
- The Satellite Positioning for Atmosphere, Climate and Environment Research Centre investigates and develops technologies for atmospheric and climate monitoring.
- The Water: Effective Technologies and Tools Research Centre is developing the means for sustainable provision of clean safe water, particularly for cities.
- The Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute conducts research in the areas of sustainable housing and urban planning
- The Bushfires Cooperative Research Centre conducts research in understanding and managing the risk of bushfires.
- Solar gives industry the power 29/11/2013Professor Gary Rosengarten's research at RMIT University is making renewable energy sources a viable option for industry.
- Research studies hot water systems’ enviro impact 22/11/2013A study of the environmental impacts of hot water systems has revealed the need for greater flexibility in Australian building policies.
- Australia and India partner for clean energy 06/11/2013RMIT University researchers are collaborating on a $6 million project to boost clean fuel production in India and Australia.
Excellence in Research Australia