Chinese Medicine Confucius Institute at RMIT University
Director: Professor Charlie XUE (RMIT University)
Chinese Director: Associate Professor Qin LIU (Nanjing University of Chinese Medicine)
Secretary: Dr. Angela Yang (RMIT University)
Location: Building 202, Level 4, Room 2
In 2008, RMIT established the Chinese Medicine Confucius Institute (CMCI) through a collaboration with Nanjing University of Chinese Medicine, China.
As one of the first activities of the CMCI, a Chinese culture and Chinese Medicine History Museum was set up and over 300 items of artefacts for the museum are on display. RMIT University acknowledges the generosity and technical support provided by the Guangdong Provincial Chinese Medicine Museum, China.
RMIT is acknowledged internationally as a leader in the development of Chinese Medicine education and research in the western world. The achievements of RMIT Chinese Medicine have been made possible through a global collaborative network with numerous collaborators including a large number of institutions in the People’s Republic of China (PRC).
The Confucius Institutes are non-profit institutions co-funded by the government of PRC to promote Chinese language and culture through partnership with foreign institutions.
A Chinese language component has been included in the Chinese Medicine double degree program. This, along with a background in Chinese culture and literature, will assist Australian final year Chinese Medicine students with their clinical training in China.
The Confucius Institute will add to RMIT’s standing in the PRC and enable further collaborations with Chinese establishments and organisations in the area of Chinese medicine education and research. Additional research capabilities in Chinese medicine and related disciplines such as pharmacology and toxicology would be strengthened for both RMIT and its Chinese partner universities through research collaboration and staff/student exchange
The Confucius Institute at RMIT University, Australia will have a wide range of positive impacts:
- Broaden opportunities for Australian students and academics to interact with Chinese universities and other Institutions.
- Expand research capabilities with RMIT’s Chinese partner institutions in Chinese Medicine.
- Facilitate the harmonisation of Chinese and Western Medicine.
- Promote Chinese culture, especially the Chinese language, through education and contribute to internationalisation of the Chinese medicine curriculum.
- Strengthening ties with other academic disciplines.
CMCI Council Committee Members
- Prof. Margaret Gardner AO - Co-Chair of the Council Committee; Vice-Chancellor & President, RMIT University
- Prof. Peter Coloe - Co-Chair of the Council Committee; Pro Vice-Chancellor & Vice-President, College of Science, Engineering and Health, RMIT University
- Prof. Daine Alcorn - Member of the Council Committee, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research & Innovation) & Vice-President; RMIT University
- Mr. Stephen Connelly - Member of the Council Committee; Deputy Vice-Chancellor (International & Development) & Vice-President, RMIT University
- Prof. Charlie Xue - Member, Head, Discipline of Chinese Medicine, School of Health Sciences, RMIT University
Nanjing University of Chinese Medicine:
- Prof. Mianhua Wu - Member of the Council Committee Co-Chair; President, Nanjing University of Chinese Medicine
- Prof. Guicheng Huang - Member of the Council Committee Member, Vice-President Nanjing University of Chinese Medicine
- A/Prof. Qin Liu - Member of the Council Committee Member; Deputy Director, Department of International Cooperation and Exchange, Nanjing University of Chinese Medicine
- Ms. Jenny Wong - Member of the Council Committee & Community Representative
- Mr. Roger Li - Member of the Council Committee Member, Community Representative