Assoc Professor Terry Piva
Deputy Head of School, Learning & Teachi
+61 3 9925 6503
Science, Engineering & Health
Summary of responsibilities
- 2012: Deputy Head of School, Learning & Teaching
- 2011: Year 3 Coordinator, Biomedical Science
- 2010–2012: Selection Officer, Biomedical Science
- 2006–2010: Year 1 Coordinator Biomedical Science
- 2007–2009: Coordinator, School of Medical Sciences Postgraduate Program
- 2006–2007 & 2012: Acting Discipline Head (Cell Biology and Anatomy)
- 2004–2005: Coordinator, Pharmaceutical Sciences Program
- 2004–2005: Coordinator, Biotechnology and Biomedical Science (Hons) Program
- 2003–2005: Coordinator, Biotechnology and Biomedical Sciences Program
- 2003: International Selection Officer, Biomedical Science
I am the Course Coordinator for BIOL2299 Biology of Tissue Growth and Repair.
I deliver lectures, run tutorial classes, as well as prac classes to students from many programs (Biomedical Science, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Laboratory Medicine, Pharmacy, Exercise & Sport Science, Physical Education, Osteopathy, Chiropractic, Chinese Medicine, Applied Science) on various topics in the areas of Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Cancer, Immunology and Cell Signalling.
Academic management and administration responsibilities
I am currently a member of the following committees:
- Member, SEH Portfolio Academic Development Committee
- Member, SEH Learning & Teaching Leadership Group
- Member, School of Medical Science’s Executive
- Chair, School of Medical Science’s Learning & Teaching Committee
- Member, School of Medical Sciences Postgraduate Research Committee
- Member, Discipline of Cell Biology and Anatomy Committee
- Member, Biomedical Science Program Committee
- Member, Biomedical Science Student Staff Consultation Committee
Educational development work
- In 2013 I will be responsible for ensuring that all programs and courses delivered by the School of Medical Sciences meet AQF guidelines,
- I will also be responsible to ensure that the School meets all University requirements with the development and delivery of high quality courses and programs as part of its offerings,
- In 2006 I led the team that created the Bachelor of Applied Science (Biomedical Science) program, in 2010 it was renamed Bachelor of Biomedical Science.
- In 2003 and 2004 I was involved in the restructuring of the Bachelor of Applied Science (Biotechnology and Biomedical Sciences) program
- In 2003 I oversaw the development of the Bachelor of Applied Science (Biotechnology and Biomedical Sciences) (Honours) program which was renamed in 2006 to the Bachelor of Applied Science (Biomedical Science) (Honours) program.
- PhD, James Cook University, 1989
- B. Sc. (Hons), James Cook University, 1981
- B. Sc. James Cook University, 1979
Professional Society Service
- President Molecular and Experimental Pathology Society of Australasia (MEPSA) 2011–
- National Secretary MEPSA 2006–11
- Treasurer, Australian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB) 2012–
- Treasurer, ASBMB Metabolism Special Interest Group 2011–
- Member, Australian Health and Medical Research Congress 2006 (Melbourne), 2010 (Melbourne) and Adelaide (2012) Organizing Committees
- Member, ASBMB Combio'99 (Gold Coast) Organizing Committee
Grant Review Panels
- Member National Health and Medical Research Council Assignors Academy, 2013
- Member National Health and Medical Research Council Grant Review Panel, 2010–2012
- Member, Queensland Cancer Fund Grant Interviewing Committee, 1997
Assessor for several grant giving bodies including:
- National Health and Medical Research Council Project Grant Scheme
- Care Cancer Australia
- Qld, NSW, Vic, Tas, SA and WA State Cancer Council Project Grant Schemes
Assessor – scientific journals
Assessor for numerous journals including:
- British Journal of Sports Medicine
- Clinical Science
- Journal of Investigative Dermatology
- International Journal of Biochemistry & Cell Biology
- International Journal of Medical Engineering and Informatics
- International Journal of Molecular Sciences
- Molecular Cancer
- Photochemical & Photobiological Sciences
- Australasian Society for Dermatological Research
- Australian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Biochemical Society (UK)
- Molecular and Experimental Pathology Society of Australasia
- Society for Melanoma Research (USA)
- 1994, Visiting Research Fellowship, Merton College (Oxford)
- 1988, Queensland Cancer Fund's D.B. Duncan Memorial Training Fellowship
- 1983, James Cook University Postgraduate Research Scholarship
- 1990, Amino acid transport proteins, amino acid analogues, assay apparatus, uses thereof for treatment and diagnosis of cancer. Patent Number WO 90/03399, U.S. Patents Office, Washington, U.S.A.
My research interests are in the following areas:
- The effects of UV radiation on skin cells and the role it plays in the development of skin cancer
- The effect of nanoparticle sunscreens on human skin cell function
- The effect of nutrients on lymphocyte activation
- Haemostatic parameters in women suffering PCOS
- Amino acid uptake and metabolism in tumour cells
I currently am supervising 5 PhD students, as well as co-supervising 7 PhD students.
For more information on the research that I am involved with please see the following for more information:
To date I have published over 40 peer reviewed scientific articles, and over 90 conference abstracts. An abbreviated list of publications (since 2006) includes:
- Moertel, L., McManus, D.P., PIVA, T.J., Young, L., McInnis, R.L. and Gobert, G.N. (2006) Oligonucleotide microarray analysis of strain- and gender-associated gene expression in Schistosoma japonicum. Molecular Cell. Probes 20, 320-329.
- Coutts, A., Reaburn, P., PIVA, T.J. and Murphy, A. (2007) Changes in selected biochemical measures and muscular strength, power, endurance during deliberate overreaching and tapering in rugby league players. Int. J. Sports. Med 28, 116-124.
- Coutts, A.J., Reaburn, P.R.J., PIVA, T.J. and Rowsell, G. (2007) Monitoring for overreaching in rugby league players. Eur. J. Appl. Physiol. 99, 313-324.
- Huynh, T.T., Chan, K.S. and PIVA, T.J. (2009) The effect of ultraviolet radiation on the expression of p-p38MAPK and furin in human skin cells. Photodermatol. Photoimmunol. Photomed. 25, 20-29.
- Ruddell, R.G., Barwood, J.M., Rutherford, P.S., Hoang-Le D., PIVA, T.J., Watters, D.J., Santambrogio, P., Arosio, P. and Ramm, G.A. (2009) Ferritin functions as a cytokine inducing proinflammatory mediators of fibrogenesis via iron independent, PKC-ζ/NFκB-regulated signalling in rat hepatic stellate cells. Hepatology 49, 887-900.
- Muthusamy, V. and PIVA , T.J. (2010) The role of cell signaling pathways play in TNFα release from UV-irradiated human skin cells. Arch. Dermatol. Res. 210, 5-17.
- Muthusamy, V. and PIVA, T.J. (2011) Melanoma cell signaling: Looking beyond RAS-RAF-MEK. in Skin Cancers - Risk Factors, Prevention and Therapy. (La Porta, C.A.M., Ed), pp87-108. Intech Publishers, Rijeka (Croatia).
- Muthusamy, V., Hodges, L.D., Macrides, T.A., Boyle, G.M. and PIVA, T.J. (2011) Effect of novel marine neutraceuticals on the inflammatory response of UVB-irradiated human melanocyte-derived cells. Oxidative Med. Cell. Long. 2011, Article ID 728645, 11 pages, 2011. doi:10.1155/2011/728645
- Burchall, G., Linden, M.D., Teede, H. & PIVA T.J. (2011) The hemostatic system in Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. Trends Cardiovasc. Med. 21, 6-14.
- PIVA, T.J., Davern, C.M., Hall, P.M., Winterford, C.M. & Ellem, K.A.O. (2012) The increased activity of cell surface peptidases in HeLa cells undergoing UV-induced apoptosis is not mediated by caspase 3. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 13, 2650-2675.
- Feltis, B.N., O’Keefe, S.J., Harford, A.J., PIVA, T.J., Turney T.W. & Wright, P.F.A. (2012) Independent cytotoxic and inflammatory responses to Zinc Oxide nanoparticles in human monocytes and macrophages. Nanotoxicol. 6, 757-765.
- Turney, T.M., Duriska, M.B., Jayaratne, V., Elbaz, A., O’Keefe, S.J., Hastings, A., PIVA, T.J., Wright, P.F.A. & Feltis, B.N. (2012) Formation of Zinc-containing nanoparticles from Zn2+ ions in cell culture media: Implications for the nanotoxicology of ZnO. Chem. Res. Toxicol. 25, 2057-2066.
- Ravi, R. & PIVA, T.J. (2013) The role of furin the development of skin cancer in “Highlights in Skin Cancer”, (Vereecken, P., Ed), pp271-299. InTech publishers, Rijeka (Croatia)