Postgraduate degree by research
- Check the program entry requirements and confirm that you are eligible.
- Review potential research scholarships.
- Refer to the application dates for Scholarship applications.
- Find a potential supervisor to support your application.
- Determine from the table below how you need to apply.
- Check and complete the selection tasks (if applicable) by the relevant closing date-these tasks are listed in the program entry requirements.
- Complete and submit your application.
- Your application will then go through the admission to candidature and/or scholarship selection process as outlined below.
- Applications for 2014 postgraduate scholarship closed at 5.00pm Thursday 31 October, 2013.
- Applications for admission to Postgraduate Research Programs for 2014 are now open.
Method of application
2014 Admission Application
a) Australian citizens and Permanent Residents
b) New Zealand citizens
c) Holders of permanent refugee and humanitarian visas
d) Internationals applying to study outside Australia (offshore)
Internationals applying to study in Australia (onshore)
Depending on your circumstances, the following forms and information may also be required to support your application.
It is a compulsory requirement that all RMIT higher degree by research students complete a research methods course. You can apply for an exemption if you have completed a research methods course at RMIT or another institute using this form.
Current RMIT students who are seeking credit for previous RMIT studies do not need to submit transcripts or statements of results. Students who are seeking credit for study at other institutions must supply certified copies of these documents with the application form.
Complete and submit this form with your application if you wish to be considered for a Postgraduate Research Equity Place under the designated equity group of Disability or Long-term Medical Condition.
Alternatively, provide a certified copy of a medical or psychological report from your health care provider.
Research selection process
Scholarship method and ranking
All applications will be ranked based on a model that has been approved by RMIT’s Research Committee. Ranking applications is necessary as the number of scholarships RMIT have to offer are fewer than the number of applications we receive.
Admission to candidature
All applications will be assessed against the entry criteria for higher degrees by research. For further details on the entry criteria for the research program you are seeking admission to, please refer to the academic entry requirements web page.
Communication of selection decision
The School of Graduate Research will notify you about the outcome of your application in writing via email. Response time will vary depending on your nominated program and school, and the time of year you apply. Please refer to the 2014 Admissions and Scholarships Timeline (PDF, 377 KB, 2 pages) for an estimate of how long it will take for an outcome of your application.
HDR Admissions Officer
Phone: +(61 3) 9925 4980
Fax: +(61 3) 9925 4089