Bernardo Figueiredo is a lecturer in the School of Economics, Finance and Marketing, at RMIT University in Australia. Dr. Figueiredo has worked in a variety of industry jobs including marketing manager at Procter and Gamble and Unilever, Science and Technology Analyst for a major research funding institution in the Brazilian Government and marketing director and entrepreneur in two SMEs in the art and culture industry.
He is especially interested in understanding how the globalization of markets and cultures shapes consumption and marketing practices. His main research interests include consumer culture, multiculturalism, cosmopolitanism, mobility, circulation of consumers, goods and technologies.
Dr Figueiredo has published in the Journal of Macromarketing, Journal of Marketing Management (forthcoming), Consumer Markets and Culture, Advances in Consumer Research and various conference proceedings on diverse themes such as development, transformative consumer research, temporal structuration of consumption, luxury brands and consumption in Latin America. He has supervised theses on consumer culture, place branding; marketing communications and branding, consumer acculturation, globalization of the markets and internationalization of firms and marketing in developing countries. He employs qualitative/interpretive methodological approaches, which are aligned with the CCT (Consumer Cutlure Theory) group.
Grants and Awards
- Winner of the people's choice award at Association for Consumer Research Film Festival (2013) - Film “A pen“ - with Anastasia Seregnina and Norah Campbell. Competitive film.
- Winner, The Susan P. Douglas Award – Best paper in international marketing across all tracks, 2012 EMAC – 41st European Marketing Academy Conference, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Winner, ACR/Sheth Foundation Dissertation Grant Competition – 2011 ($ 2000) Best dissertation Proposal - ACR Annual North American Conference in St. Louis, Missouri
- Postgraduate Research Support Scheme – 2010 and 2011 ($9,000) University of New South Wales
- UIPA Doctoral scholarship 2008-2012 $105,000) University of New South Wales
- PUC - VRAC Scholarship 2005-2007 ($10,000) Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro
- Academic Excellence Prize, best undergraduate thesis 1995 ($500) University of Sao Paulo
Other Conference Participation
- Organiser of ACR Special Session (with Eric P.H. Li), “Globalcityscapes: Re-Reading Ethnicity in Movement“, [with Markus Giesler, York University (Canada), Ela Veresiu, Witten/Herdecke University (Germany), Zuzana Chytkova, University of Pisa (Italy), Luca M. Visconti, Università Bocconi (Italy), Eric Ping Hung Li, York University (Canada)] - North American Association for Consumer Research (ACR), Jacksonville, USA, Oct 2010.
- Film “A pen“ - Winner of the people's choice award at ACR Film Festival (2013) - with Anastasia Seregnina and Norah Campbell. Competitive film.
- Served as research assistant for the paper published as “Ethnographic Stories for Market Learning“ in the Journal of Marketing (2013) by Julien Cayla and Eric Arnould.
- M.Sc. Thesis solo Supervisor of Ovidijus Voronkovas -“Branding Lithuania: an investigation of branding strategies in the post-communist era“ (successfully defended in 2013).
- M.Sc. Thesis solo Supervisor of John Tandukar and Shristi Shrestra -“Acculturation and consumption habits of Nepalese in Denmark“ (successfully defended in 2013).
- M.Sc. Thesis solo Supervisor of Mariya Mandulova -“ City branding, big business and citizens - a Bermuda triangle or a successful strategy for maintaining the city image“ (successfully defended in 2013).
- M.Sc. Thesis solo Supervisor of Milan Marysko -“The Westernization of South Korea: examining countervailing consumption discourses in Gangnam“. (successfully defended in 2013).
- M.Sc. Thesis solo Supervisor of Dipak “ Multinational Fast food companies (KFC and Pizza Hut) in Nepal“ (successfully defended in 2014).
- Service Quality
- International Marketing
- University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark, Postdoctoral, Marketing and Management, Consumption Studies Group (2012-204)
- University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia, PhD in Marketing, (2008 -2012)
- Schulich School of Management, York University, Toronto, Ontario, Visiting PhD Student (6 months) - Spring, 2010.
- Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Master in Business Administration, 2005-2007
- University of Sao Paulo, USP. Brazil, Bachelor in Business Administration, 1991-1994
- Amado Baptista De Figueiredo, B.,Scaraboto, D. (2016). The systemic creation of value through circulation in collaborative consumer networks In: Journal of Consumer Research, , 1 - 80
- Amado Baptista De Figueiredo, B.,Uncles, M. (2015). Moving across time and space: Temporal management and structuration of consumption in conditions of global mobility In: Consumption Markets and Culture, 18, 39 - 54
- Amado Baptista De Figueiredo, B.,Chelekis, J.,DeBerry-Spence, B.,Firat, F.,Ger, G.,Godefroit-Winkel, D.,Kravets, O.,Moisander, J.,Nuttavuthisit, K.,Penaloza, L.,Tadajewski, M. (2015). Developing markets? Understanding the role of markets and development at the intersection of macromarketing and Transformative Consumer Research (TCR) In: Journal of Macromarketing, 35, 257 - 271
- Chelekis, J.,Figueiredo, B. (2015). Regions and archipelagos of consumer culture: A reflexive approach to analytical scales and boundaries In: Marketing Theory, 15, 321 - 345
- Figueiredo, B. (2015). Home in mobility: an exercise in assemblage thinking In: Assembling Consumption: Researching Actors, Networks and Markets, Routledge, New York, United States
- Scaraboto, D.,Figueiredo, B. (2015). How to create value via object circulation in gift-systems In: Proceedings of the Ethnographic Praxis in Industry Conference (EPIC 2015), Sao Paulo, Brazil, 5-8 October 2015
- Chelekis, J.,Figueiredo, B. (2015). Critical regionalities: Re-thinking regions in CCT In: Consumer Culture Theory (Research in Consumer Behavior): Volume 17, Emerald Group Publishing Limited, United Kingdom
- Ourahmoune, N.,Amado Baptista De Figueiredo, B.,Rojas, P. (2014). The Cultural Construction of Brazilian Bodies and Status In: Luxury Brands in Emerging Markets, Palgrave Macmillan, United Kingdom
- Tadajewski, M.,Chelekis, J.,DeBerry-Spence, B.,Amado Baptista De Figueiredo, B.,Kravets, O.,Nuttavuthisit, K.,Penaloza, L.,Moisander, J. (2014). The discourses of marketing and development: Towards 'critical transformative marketing research' In: Journal of Marketing Management, 30, 1728 - 1770
- Amado Baptista De Figueiredo, B.,Ourahmoune, N.,Rojas, P.,Pereira, S.,Scaraboto, D.,Ferreira, M. (2014). The branded and gendered Brazilian body: material and symbolic constructions in an overlooked context In: Research in Consumer Behavior, Emerald Group Publishing, United Kingdom
- How Consumer Experiences Aggregate to Create Value in Collaborative Consumer Producer Networks. Funded by: Marketing Science Institute Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2016)
3 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions