Guillermo is an Associate Professor in Property, Construction and Project Management at RMIT University and currently a Visiting Professor at the University of Applied Sciences and Arts Northwestern Switzerland.
Guilermo operates under the principle of research-driven design where practice informs research and research informs practice. His teaching is informed by both industry and research knowledge and experiences. He has participated as an external advisor on small, medium and large-scale planning, design and construction projects. At a higher level, he has conducted government and industry sponsored research on areas of Architecture and Planning, Sustainability, Construction and Building Information Modelling (BIM) – including the Australian National Guidelines for Digital Modelling.
He holds a Masters of Science in European Construction Engineering from Loughborough University and a PhD in Construction Management from The University of Reading, both in the United Kingdom (1996–2003). His undergraduate studies in Architecture were carried out in Mexico and Spain (1992–1996). More recently, he completed a professional certificate in Virtual Design and Construction at Stanford University, California, Centre for Integrated Facility working under the supervision of Professor Martin Fischer (2008–2010).
Internationally Guillermo has continued an active design and research agenda with Stanford University, California; TU Delft, Holland; National University of Singapore; and currently working with the University of Applied Sciences and Arts Northwestern Switzerland and the Politecnico di Milano, Italy (2012–2013).
Guillermo is a well-published scholar and Regional Editor for 'Facilities' – Australasia, Emerald Scientific Publishers.
Architecture and Planning
Architecture: BIM (Building Information Modelling)
Design/Construction Process: VDC (Virtual Design and Construction)
Planning: GIS (Geographic Information Systems)
Guillermo is a registered PhD research supervisor in the areas of
Architecture and Sustainable Design
Building Information Modelling
Public Private Partnerships.
Associate Professor in Property, Construction and Project Management.
BUIL1154 Advanced Construction – Strategic Planning, Design and Management
BUIL1215 Research Project – Sustainable Architecture Studio
BUIL1256 Construction Planning and Design – Building Information Modelling StudioPost Graduate:
BUIL1005 Building Systems – Sustainable Architecture & Building Studio
PHIL1008 Research Project – Sustainable Architecture StudioSingapore:
BUIL1213: Advanced Construction – Strategic Planning, Design and Management
BUIL1222: Research Project – Sustainable Architecture Studio
Professional Certificate in Virtual Design and Construction.
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. Stanford University, California, 2010
PhD in Construction Management and Engineering
School of Construction Management and Engineering. The University of Reading, United Kingdom, 2003
MSc in European Construction Engineering
European Inter-University Programme. Loughborough University of Technology, United Kingdom, 1997
UNESCO Fellowship in Architecture
Urban and Architectural Interventions. Escuela Tecnica Superior de Arquitectura.Universidad de Sevilla, Spain, 1996
Bachelor of Science in Architecture
Thesis title: Urban and Architectural Regeneration of San Miguel de Belen District Guadalajara, Mexico. 3Univa Guadalajara, Mexico, 1995
2003–2009 Applied Research Cooperative Research Centre for Construction Innovation including: Development of the Australian National Guidelines for Digital Modelling.
Member of Emerald Academic Publishing Group – UK.
Member of BuildingSMART Schweiz - Switzerland
Member of the Institute of Project Management
Member of Architects Without Frontiers – Australia.
2013 Awarded Senior Research Fellowship at the Politecnico di Milano, Milano, Italy.
2012–2013 Awarded Visiting Professorship at the University of Applied Sciences and Arts Northwestern Switzerland.
2012 Awarded Australian Citizenship. Scored 100% at the official test.
2010 Awarded Australian Permanent Residency under the Distinguished Talent category (29 April 2010).
2010 Awarded Golden Key Honorary Membership by Professor Margaret Gardner, Vice-Chancellor of RMIT.
2008 Awarded Scholarship to Stanford University (awarded by the ‘Cooperative Research Centre for Construction Innovation’) to undertake the Certificate Program in “Virtual Design and Construction” under the supervision of Professor Martin Fischer (2008–2010).
2007 Awarded RMIT Emerging Researcher Grant by RMIT University.
2006 Appointed Conjoint Academicto the School of Architecture, University of Newcastle, Australia.
2006 Awarded ‘Sigma Lambda Chi Society’Honorary Membership. Awarded by SLCS Melbourne Chapter.
1997 Awarded ‘PhD Endowment Trust Fund’from The University of Reading, United Kingdom.
- McCann, S.,Aranda-Mena, G.,Edwards, P. (2014). Delivering value-for-money in the operating phase of public private partnerships: interview findings In: International Public Management Review, 15, 91 - 110
- McCann, S.,Aranda-Mena, G.,Edwards, P. (2014). Managing partnership relations and contractual performance in the operating phase of Public Private Partnership: Interview Findings In: International Public Management Review, 15, 111 - 132
- Chevez, A.,Aranda-Mena, G.,Edwards, P. (2014). People, space and technology: A dynamic model In: Corporate Real Estate Journal, 4, 70 - 80
- Senescu, R.,Aranda-Mena, G.,Haymaker, J. (2013). Relationships between project complexity and communication In: Journal of Management in Engineering, 29, 183 - 197
- Pallett, J.,Aranda-Mena, G.,Alhadidi, S.,Pena De Leon, A.,Williams, M. (2013). Design trade off In: Designing the dynamic : high-performance sailing and real-time feedback in design, Melbourne Books, Melbourne, Australia
- McCann, S.,Aranda-Mena, G.,Edwards, P. (2013). Public private partnerships: Achieving better value-for-money operational phase outcomes through improved partnership, risk and performance management practices In: Proceedings of the PPP International Conference 2013 - Body of Knowledge, Preston, UK, 18-20 March 2013
- Aranda-Mena, G.,D'Amico, V.,Vines, M. (2013). CLUB: Innovative ways for learning and teaching PPPs In: Proceedinsg of the 2013 International Conference on Public Private Partnership (PPP) Body of Knowledge, Preston, United Kingdom, 18-20 March 2013
- McCann, S.,Aranda-Mena, G.,Edwards, P. (2013). Investigating partnership, risk and performance management in the operational phase of public private partnerships: choosing a research methodology and methods In: Proceedings of the Innovation in Public Finance Conference (IPF 2013), Milan, Italy, 17-19 June 2013
- Burry, J.,Goscinski, W.,Aranda-Mena, G.,Alhadidi, S.,Pena De Leon, A.,Williams, M. (2012). Trade off and real time analysis feeback for designers: Sailing as a research vehicle for developing systems and skills In: Proceedings of the 30th eCADDe Conference - Digital Physicality: Volume 2, Prague, Czech Republic, 12-14 September, 2012
- Aranda-Mena, G.,Yum, K.,Froese, T. (2012). BIMbased estimation for civil structures In: Proceedings of the1st IBEA Conference on Innovation and integration: Science, technology and policy in the built environment, London, United Kingdom, 7-9 October 2011
- Transnational teaching for learning. Funded by: RMIT Learning and Teaching Investment Fund from (2010 to 2010)
- Building Information Modelling: Methods and Applications to link Post Occupancy Evaluation to Architectural Programming.. Funded by: RMIT Emerging Researcher Grants from (2008 to 2009)
- National guidelines and case studies. Funded by: CRC Construction & Innovation Research Project from (2007 to 2009)
2 PhD Completions5 PhD Current Supervisions