- Various aspects of static and dynamic structural analysis and modelling, including optimization, finite element methods, and CAE.
- Visualization of general engineering concepts.
- BSc (Hons)
- Regional Head of Engineering and Technical Specialist: QuEST Global Engineering, South Melbourne 3205, VIC, AUSTRALIA (Dec 2011 – Oct 2014).
- Oversight of Airbus A350-900 Composite Rear Spar stress analysis during Checkstress and type certification reporting.
- Technical Specialist: GKN Aerospace Engineering Services, Melbourne 3207, VIC, AUSTRALIA (March 2002 – Dec 2011)
- A400M Main Wingbox Outer Falsework and Inner Fixed Shroud for First Flight Clearance and Entry Into Service Certification. Level 2 static stress checking for the metallic and composite structure, in conjunction with GKN Isle of Wight, UK.
- A400M FTE Lower Shroud Panels - Design For Manufacture. Section Leader and analyst for the metallic structure (FEM, hand calculations, stress report preparation to Airbus standards).
- Lockheed-Martin / Northrop-Grumman F35 (STOVL & CV variants of the Joint Strike Fighter). Horizontal Integrator and subsequent Stress Checker for the centre fuselage structural layout, design, analysis and substantiation reports. Familiar with LM/NGC proprietary stress methods.
- Airbus A300/A310 Hi-Shear Bolt Investigation. Team Leader supervising 10 engineers and managing a project budget valued at AUD$1.25million. Static re-analysis of under-strength bolted joints.
- Principal Stress Engineer: Aerostructures Hamble Ltd, Southampton, UK (October 1998 – March 2002)
- U.K. MoD Future Offensive Air System evaluation programme. Conducted an in-depth feasibility study to recommend a suitable parent aircraft as a cruise missile launch platform. Section Leader responsible for developing aircraft payload-range and radius-of-action performance calculations, and optimizing the airframe-to-missile installation.
- Eurofighter 2000 Ground Power Unit towed trolley. Section leader responsible for the structural design, analysis, stress justification, and prototype fabrication to exacting customer specifications and NATO/STANAG military standards for Ground Service Equipment.
- CEng (Chartered Engineer).
- FRAeS (Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society). Member # 1192732.
- RPEQ (Registered Professional Engineer of Queensland). Member # 10018 (Aerospace).
- Reviewer for Australian Senior Mathematics Journal (ASMJ).
- Reviewer for the Technical Committee for the bi-annual Australian International Aerospace Congress.
- Bardell, N. (2015). Adding some perspective to de Moivre's theorem: visualizing the n-th roots of unity In: Australian Senior Mathematics Journal, 29, 40 - 50
- Bardell, N. (2014). Some comments on the use of de Moivre's theorem to solve quadratic equations with real or complex coefficients In: Australian Senior Mathematics Journal, 28, 7 - 14
- Bardell, N. (2014). Visualizing the roots of quadratic equations with complex coefficients In: Australian Senior Mathematics Journal, 28, 7 - 28
- Bardell, N.,Evans, G. (2013). Establishing the fully plastic torque capacity of various structural sections using a novel CAD method In: Proceedings of the15th Australian International Aerospace Congress (AIAC15), Melbourne, Australia, 25 -28 February 2013
- Bardell, N. (2012). Visualising the complex roots of quadratic equations with real coefficients In: Australian Senior Mathematics Journal, 26, 6 - 20
- Bardell, N.,Frazer, N. (2012). An exact static analysis of rigidly-jointed coplanar beam structures subject to distributed loading In: Australian Journal of Structural Engineering, 13, 111 - 138
- Bardell, N.,Evans, G. (2012). A simple CAD method for constructing sand-heap formations as an analogous means of determining the fully plastic torque capacity of various structural sections In: Australian Journal of Mechanical Engineering, 9, 113 - 132
- Bardell, N. (2011). Solution of structural interaction equations for the proportional reserve factor: A survey of present practice In: Australian Journal of Mechanical Engineering, 8, 55 - 66
- Bardell, N. (2011). Solving structural interaction equations in the digital age In: Proceedings of the Fourteenth Australian International Aerospace Congress (AIAC14), Melbourne, Australia, 28 February - 3 March 2011
- Dolan, G.,Bardell, N. (2011). Development of an infrared suppression system for CH-47D Chinook helicopters In: Proceedings of the Fourteenth Australian Aeronautical Conference (AIAC14), Melbourne, Australia, 28 February - 3 March 2011