Professor Amanda Berry joins RMIT from Leiden University, the Netherlands. Her research focuses on science teacher education, teacher learning and teacher educators' knowledge of practice.
Professor Amanda (Mandi) Berry is an experienced teacher educator and researcher from Leiden University, the Netherlands. She has both 'lived' and studied the journey of many teacher educators in transitioning from school-based teacher to university teacher educator and academic. Amanda's PhD study was inspired by the challenges of this transition and her ongoing research program is concerned with the acquisition and development of teacher educators' knowledge of practice and how such knowledge can inform and enhance learning and teaching about teaching. As a former high school science teacher, Amanda has continued her interest in researching science teacher learning and development of science teachers' pedagogical content knowledge (PCK). Amanda has extensive experience working with teachers at all levels of schooling, and in different countries around the world, in designing, supporting and researching their professional learning.
- Berry, A., Friedrichsen, P., & Loughran, J. (eds.) (2015). Re-examining Pedagogical Content Knowledge in Science Education. New York: Routledge.
- Loughran, J.J., Berry, A.K., Mulhall, P., (2012). Understanding and Developing Science Teachers' Pedagogical Content Knowledge, Dordrecht: Sense publishers.
- Loughran, J.J., Smith, K., & Berry, A. (Eds.) (2011). Scientific literacy under the microscope: A whole school approach to science teaching and learning. Dordrecht: Sense publishers.
- Berry, A. (2007). Tensions in Teaching about Teaching: Understanding Practice as a Teacher Educator. Dordrecht: Springer.
- Berry, A. (2015). Teacher Educators’ Professional Learning: A necessary case of ‘on your own’? In, A. Aelterman, B. De Wever, M. Tuytens & R. Vanderlinde (Eds.). Professional learning of teacher educators, teachers, and student teachers: Research-based practices. Academia Press, Ginkgo-imprint.
- Van Driel, J., Berry, A., & Meirink, J. (2014) Research on science teacher knowledge. In N. G. Lederman & S. K. Abell (Eds.), Handbook of research on science education (pp. 848–870). New York: Routledge.
- Berry, A., & Loughran, J.J. (2012). Developing science teacher educators’ pedagogy of teacher education. In, B. Fraser, K. Tobin and C. McRobbie (Eds.), Second International Handbook of Science Education. Dordrecht: Springer. Pp. 401-415
- Admiraal, W., & Berry, A. (2015). Video narratives to assess student-teachers’ competence as new teachers. Teachers and Teaching: Theory and Practice, 22(1). DOI:10.1080/13540602.2015.1023026.
- Hume, A., & Berry, A.K. (2013). Enhancing the Practicum Experience for Pre-service Chemistry Teachers Through Collaborative CoRe Design with Mentor Teachers. Research in Science Education, 43(5), 2107-2136.
- Berry, A. & van Driel, J.H. (2012). Teaching about teaching science: Aims, strategies and backgrounds of science teacher educators. Journal of Teacher Education. 64(2), 117-128.
- Van Driel, J.H., & Berry, A. (2012). Professional development of teachers focusing on pedagogical content knowledge. Educational Researcher. 41, 26-28.
- Special Commendation: Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Team Based Teaching Development (2003).
- Mollie Holman medal for most outstanding doctoral thesis, Faculty of Education, Monash University, (2006).
- Dean’s award for Research Excellence for an Early Career Researcher, Faculty of Education, Monash University (2009).
- Monash University Researcher Accelerator Award (2010 – 2012).
- Bachelor of Education, Melbourne College of Advanced Education/ Melbourne University (1982)
- Master of Educational Studies, Monash University (1987) Thesis: Navigating the web: An exploration of the developing pedagogy of four student teachers.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Monash University (2005) Thesis: Teaching about teaching, learning about teaching: A self-study of my practice as a teacher educator.
- 2016 - ongoing Professor in Education, School of Education, RMIT University, Melbourne.
- 2012 - 2016 Associate Professor, ICLON, Leiden University, The Netherlands.
- 2011- 2012 Associate Professor, Faculty of Education, Monash University, Australia.
- 2004 - 2010 Senior Lecturer in Science Education and Classroom Practice, Faculty of Education, Monash University, Australia.
- 1997 - 2003 Lecturer in Science Education and Classroom Practice, Faculty of Education, Monash University, Australia.
- 1995 -1996 Sessional Lecturer in Science Education, 0.5 research Assistant, Faculty of Education, Monash University, Australia.
- 1987 - 1997 Science Co-ordinator, Biology/Science Teacher, Presentation Girls’ College, Windsor, Victoria, Australia.
- Admiraal, W.,Berry, A. (2016). Video narratives to assess student teachers' competence as new teachers In: Teachers and Teaching: Theory and Practice, 22, 21 - 34
- van Kampen, E.,Admiraal, W.,Berry, A. (2016). Content and language integrated learning in the Netherlands: teachers' self-reported pedagogical practices In: International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, , 1 - 16
- Berry, A. (2016). Teacher educators' professional learning: A necessary case of 'on your own'? In: Professional Learning in Education: Challenges for Teacher Educators, Teachers and Student Teachers, Academia Press, Gent, Belgium
- Moses, I.,Admiraal, W.,Berry, A. (2016). Gender and gender role differences in student-teachers' commitment to teaching In: Social Psychology of Education, 19, 475 - 492
- Williams, J.,Berry, A. (2016). Boundary crossing and the professional learning of teacher educators in new international contexts In: Studying Teacher Education: A Journal of Self-Study of Teacher Education Practices, , 1 - 17
- Geursen, J.,Berry, A.,Hagebeuk, E.,Peters, C.,Lunenberg, M. (2016). Learning together as teachers and researchers: Growing shared expertise in a self-study community of inquiry. In: Enacting self-study as methodology for professional inquiry, University of Auckland, New Zealand, Auckland, New Zealand
- McDonough, S.,Forgasz, R.,Berry, A.,Taylor, M. (2016). All brain and still no body: Moving towards a pedagogy of embodiment in teacher education In: Enacting self-study as methodology for professional inquiry, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
- Berry, A.,Depaepe, F.,Van Driel, J. (2016). Pedagogical content knowledge in teacher education In: International Handbook of Teacher Education DOI 10.1007/978-981-10-0366-0, Springer, Netherlands
- Friedrichsen, P.,Berry, A. (2015). Science teacher PCK learning progressions: promises and challenges In: Re-examining pedagogical content knowledge in science education, Routledge, New York, United States
- Cooper, R.,Loughran, J.,Berry, A. (2015). Science teachers' PCK: Understanding sophisticated practice In: Re-examining pedagogical content knowledge in science education, Routledge, New York, United States
4 PhD Current Supervisions