- Research Excellence Award Recipients, Outstanding Journal Publication by an Academic, Business Research Showcase (2013)
- School of Economics, Finance & Marketing GTS Improvement Award (2012)
- Best HDR Supervisor Award, School of Economics, Finance and Marketing, RMIT Business Research Excellence (2012)
- Award for Best Paper in Qualitative Research in Financial Markets at the Behavioural Finance Working Group/M&A Research Centre Conference, Cass Business School, London (2012)
- Best HDR Supervisor Award, School of Economics, Finance and Marketing, RMIT Business Research Excellence (2011)
- Nominee for Outstanding Early Career Researcher, College of Business Research Awards (2011)
- Highly commanded award from Pearson Education 2008 Accounting/Finance Educator of the Year Award (2008)
- School of Economics, Finance & Marketing Teaching Award (2007)
- RMIT University Teaching Award (2007)
- Finding the Winning Formula Award at the Open Universities Australia, Provider Conference (2005)
- Industry-Link, BFIP Scholarship from RMIT (2004)
- Top three tutors at the University of Melbourne (2001)
- International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (2000)
- Thomas S., Ramiah V., Heaney R. and Mitchell H., 2005, Electricity Pricing, Melbourne Centre For Financial Studies for the amount of $29000.
- Ramiah V., Naughton T. and Tawadros G., 2006, An Exploratory Study in the Pricing of Credit Default Swaps, Melbourne Centre For Financial Studies for the amount of $12000.
- Naughton T., Heaney R., Hallahan T. and Ramiah V., 2006, The efficiency of the Buy Write Strategy, Australian Stock Exchange.
- Hallahan T., Di Iorio A., Heaney R. and, Ramiah V., 2007, Fundamental Indexation, Melbourne Centre For Financial Studies for the amount of $14000.
- Hallahan H., Ramiah V. and Thomas S., 2011, Sovereign Rating, School of EFM seed grants for the amount of $5000.
- Moosa I., and Ramiah V. , 2012, The effectiveness of Australian Green Policies, RMIT Business Research Grant Scheme for the amount of $10000.
- Ramiah V. and Moosa I., 2012, The Effects of Chinese Environmental Regulation on Corporations, School of EFM seed grants for the amount of $5000.
- Ramiah V., Moosa I. and Naughton T., 2012, Visiting Professor CF Lee , RMIT Foundation International Visiting Fellowship , $5000.
- Moosa I. and Ramiah V., 2012, The Effects of Environmental Regulation on Corporate Performance, ARC Development Grant, $5000.
- Moosa I. and Ramiah V., 2012, The effects of Multilateral Trading Systems on Financial Markets, ACFS, $10000.
- Ramiah V., 2013, The WikiLeak Effects, School of EFM seed grants, $4000.
- Moosa I. and Ramiah V., 2013, The WikiLeak Effects, ACFS, $6000.
- 2008, Miss Li Ding, Hons. in Finance. Explaining contrarian profits with finance fundamentals
- 2011, Dr Tafadzwa Mugwagwa, PhD in Economics and Finance, Can options be used to enhance equity returns? Evidence from Australia
- 2011, Dr Yilang Zhao, PhD in Economics and Finance, Contemporary working capital practices in Australia. Awarded the Best PhD Student Award in 2012.
- 2011, Dr Lixian Liu, PhD in Economics and Finance, Cross Listings in the Chinese Equity Market
- 2012, Dr Ashwin Madhou, PhD in Economics and Finance, Development of a risk adjusted working capital model: Empirical evidence on its contribution to profitability and credit ratings.
- 2012, Jacopo Pichelli, Masters Thesis at Politecnico Di Milano, The effects of environmental regulation on stock markets: Evidence from the United States and China
Current Research Students
- Mrs Xiaoming Xu, PhD in Economics and Finance, Explaining Noise Trader Risk in the Chinese Stock Market.
- Mrs Girija Chowk, PhD in Economics and Finance, Understanding the behaviour of Australian Financial Planners.
- Mr Nguyen Anh Huy Pham, PhD in Finance, The effects of carbon tax on capital markets.
- Miss Min Lui, Master by Research in Finance, Does the stock market overreact or underreact to announcements of environmental regulation?
- Miss Roksana Hematizadeh, Master by Research in Finance, Controlling for macroeconomics factors in the green effects.
- Mr Guang Ping Huang Master by Research in Finance, The use of derivatives in Australia
- Miss Minhua Yang, PhD in Finance, Are narcissistic leaders more effective in enforcing environmental regulation.
- Mr Matteo Nappi, Masters Thesis at Politecnico Di Milano, The effects of environmental regulation on stock markets: Evidence from South Africa and Brasil.
- Mr Jassim Aladwani, PhD in Finance, The profitability of fundamental and technical stock trading: a GCC perspective.
Current Teaching and Coordination
- Research students and Financial Markets
- School Certificate, Higher School Certificate, London Chamber of Commerce
- Diploma of Management, B. Sc. (Hons) Economics, Master of Finance program & Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) at RMIT University
- First Aid Level I
- Managing Cultural Differences
- Conflict Resolution Workshop
- Managing Research Projects
- Advanced Electricity Derivatives Workshop
- Working Capital Management in Australia
- Junior auditor at H&A Consultant
- Manager at Intergate PTY Limited
- Quantitative Analyst at ANZ, Investment Banking Division
- Financial consultant for a number of private clients
- Elected board member of the RMIT University Business Board
- Program Director of Open Universities Australia (OUA) for the Bachelor of Business (Financial Planning)
- Supervision of research projects
- Coaching of junior academic staffs
- Founder of the Undergraduate Finance Conference in 2006
- Industry engagement with ASX, ANZ, FTA and the ACFS
- Acting board member for ACFS
- Founder of the Researchers Sans Frontier Network
- Environmental Finance advocate
- Editorial Board Members of Finance Journals
- Member of the ACFS- Funds Management Research Reference Group
I have carried out almost every administrative duty that an academic has to perform. It ranges from academic progress interviews, exclusion interviews, exemption officer, selection officer and so on.
- University of Melbourne
- La Trobe University
- Australian Catholic University
- International House
- Medley College
- Trinity College.
- Lecturer, senior lecturer and Associate Professor at RMIT University
Editorial Advisory Board
- Qualitative Research in Financial Markets
- Accounting and Finance Research
- Journal of Business Theory and Practice
Reviewer for the following journals and authorities
- Quantitative Finance
- Journal of Emerging Market Finance
- University of Mauritius Research Journal
- Emerging Markets Finance & Trade
- Managerial Finance
- Management Research Review
- International Journal of Accounting and Information Management
- Journal of International Financial Market, Institution and Money
- Journal of Asia Business Studies
- International Journal of Managerial Finance
- Mauritius Research Council
- International Journal of Educational Administration and Policy Studies
- Journal or Risk Finance
- Bora Ramiah, V.,Thomas, S.,Heaney, R.,Mitchell, H. (2015). Seasonal aspects of Australian electricity market In: The Handbook of Financial Econometrics and Statistics, Springer, United States
- Bora Ramiah, V.,Pichelli, J.,Moosa, I. (2014). Environmental regulation, the Obama effect and the stock market: some empirical results In: Applied Economics, 47, 725 - 738
- Cam, M.,Bora Ramiah, V. (2014). The influence of systematic risk factors and econometric adjustments in catastrophic event studies In: Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, 42, 1 - 19
- Bora Ramiah, V.,Zhao, Y.,Moosa, I.,Graham, M. (2014). A behavioural finance approach to working capital management In: The European Journal of Finance, online, 1 - 26
- Bora Ramiah, V. (2013). Effects of the Boxing Day tsunami on the world capital markets In: Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting , 40, 383 - 401
- Bora Ramiah, V.,Graham, M. (2013). The impact of domestic and international terrorism on equity markets: evidence from Indonesia In: International Journal of Accounting and Information Management, 21, 91 - 107
- Bora Ramiah, V.,Martin, B.,Moosa, I. (2013). How does the stock market react to the announcement of green policies? In: Journal of Banking and Finance, 37, 1747 - 1758
- Mugwagwa, T.,Bora Ramiah, V.,Naughton, A.,Moosa, I. (2012). The efficiency of the buy-write strategy: evidence from Australia In: Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, 22, 305 - 328
- Bora Ramiah, V. (2012). The impact of international terrorist attacks on the risk and return of Malaysian equity portfolios In: Review of Pacific Basin Financial Markets and Policies, 15, 1 - 26
- Bora Ramiah, V.,Moosa, I.,o'Neill, B.,Backulja, M.,Jacoub, A.,Hallahan, T.,Vaz, J. (2012). Tournament behavior in Malaysian managed funds In: International Journal of Managerial Finance, 8, 381 - 399
Banking, Finance and Investment, Applied Economics, Accounting, Auditing and Accountability, Other Commerce, Management, Tourism and Services, Econometrics
- The WikiLeaks Effect. Funded by: Australian Centre for Financial Studies pre-2014 from (2013 to 2015)
- An exploratory study in the pricing of credit default swaps. Funded by: Academic Research Grant from (2007 to 2007)
- Electricity Pricing. Funded by: Academic Research Grant from (2006 to 2006)
Note: Supervision projects since 2004
10 PhD Current Supervisions4 PhD Completions
Behavioural finance, momentum trading strategies, electricity derivatives, pricing models.