Dr Takele Soboka Bulto was previously an Australian Research Council Laureate Postdoctoral Fellow in the Centre for International Governance and Justice at Australian National University and Assistant Professor of Law in the University of Canberra’s School of Law and Justice.
A former judge of Oromia State Supreme Court in Ethiopia, and former practitioner before the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights, Dr. Bulto has ample national and international experience as a human rights lecturer, researcher, practitioner and consultant.
He received his PhD from Melbourne Law School, where his PhD Thesis, Rights, Wrongs and the River between: Extraterritorial Application of the Human Right to Water in Africa, won the Melbourne Law School’s Harold Luntz Prize and University of Melbourne Chancellor’s Prize for Excellence in the PhD Thesis. Dr. Bulto has published extensively in international journals and edited collections on human rights, water and environmental law topics.
Some of his works include, The Extraterritorial Application of the Human Right to Water in Africa (Cambridge University Press, 2014); Extraterritoriality and International Human Rights Law: The Spatial Reach of African Human Rights Treaties (Forthcoming 2017, Routledge) ; and Justice beyond Borders: The Extraterritorial Reach of African Human Rights Instruments (Forthcoming 2016, Intersentia; co-edited with Professor Lilian Chenwi).
Dr Bulto’s current research focusses on the human right to water; extraterritorial application of international and regional human rights laws; regional human rights systems with a particular focus on the African human rights system; bill of rights, economic, social and cultural rights; human rights law and the environment; the law of international law watercourses and associated international law topics.
- International Law
- Human Rights Law in Austria
- Legal Research Project
- PhD: University of Melbourne
- LL.M: University of Pretoria
- M.A: Addis Ababa University
- LL.B: Addis Ababa University
- Bulto, T. (2015). The Human Right to Water at the Global Level: Too Familiar to Ignore, Too New to Recognise? (Muito familiar para ignorar, muito novo para reconhecer: a situação do direito humano à água em nível global) In: The Right to Water as Public Policy: a Theoretical and Empirical Exploration (O Direito à Água como Política Pública na América Latina), Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada, Brasil
- Bulto, T. (2014). Africa's engagement with the universal periodic review: commitment or capitulation? In: Human Rights and the Universal Periodic Review, Cambridge University Press, United Kingdom
- Bulto, T. (2014). Public duties for private wrongs: regulation of multinationals In: Litigating Transnational Human Rights Obligations: Alternative Judgments, Routledge, United Kingdom
- Bulto, T. (2014). The environment and human rights In: SAGE Handbook of Human Rights, SAGE Publications, United Kingdon
- Bulto, T. (2014). Extraterritorial application of the human right to water in Africa, Cambridge University Press, United Kingdom
- Bulto, T. (2013). Wolf in sheep's clothing? The interpretation and application of the equality guarantee under the Ethiopian constitution In: Afrika Focus, 26, 11 - 35
- Bulto, T. (2012). Exception as norm: the local remedies rule in the context of socio-economic rights in the African human rights system In: The International Journal of Human Rights, 16, 555 - 576
- Bulto, T. (2011). Towards rights-duties congruence: Extraterritorial application of the human right to water in the African human rights system In: Netherlands Quarterly of Human Rights, 29, 491 - 523
- Bulto, T. (2011). Patching the 'Legal Black Hole': The extraterritorial reach of states' human rights duties in the African human rights system In: South African Journal on Human Rights, 27, 249 - 278
- Bulto, T. (2011). The emergence of the human right to water in international human rights law: Invention or discovery? In: Melbourne Journal of International Law, 12, 1 - 25
2 PhD Current Supervisions