Dr. Cai is currently a postdoctoral fellow (level B) on corporate regulation at the Graduate School of Business and Law, RMIT University.
Dr. Cai received his doctorate from the Faculty of Law, University of Hong Kong. His research interests are in company law and corporate governance, corporate social responsibility and law, financial law, and competition law.
In addition to qualitative methods, he has also used basic quantitative research methods. His articles have appeared in reputable journals published by Oxford University Press, Cambridge University Press and Thomson Reuters as well as SSCI-sourced journals, among others.
He received the Ryoichi Sasakawa Young Leaders Fellowship in 2006, the Endeavour Australia Cheung Kong Award in 2010, a Highly Commended Paper Award by Emerald Publishing Group in 2011, a best paper award (ranked second among all submissions) at a highly ranked Chinese National Securities Law Academic Association 2013 Annual Conference, and an excellent paper award (first prize) at Guangdong Province Financial Law Association 2013 Annual Conference.
He was also a former practising lawyer for the Chinese securities market and has published several articles in leading Chinese journals.
He received a highly competitive research grant jointly sponsored by the Chinese Education Ministry and Renmin University in 2013, and the Alfred Deakin postdoctoral fellowship in 2014. He was also selected to the RMIT College of Business Developing Research Leaders program in 2016.
He is currently supervising a PhD student, and welcomes potential candidates to discuss research supervision.
Before coming to Australia, Dr Cai practiced law in a leading law firm and financial institutions in China.
- Cai, W. (2016). Use of preference shares in Chinese companies as a viable investment/financing tool In: Capital Markets Law Journal, 11, 1 - 19
- Cai, W.,Xu, Y. (2016). State-owned enterprises' endeavours to attain legitimacy through corporate social responsibility In: The Company Lawyer, 37, 90 - 95
- Cai, W. (2016). Debt-to-equity swaps in China: The bank-led model and deregulation approach In: The Journal of Banking and Finance Law and Practice, 27, 348 - 354
- Cai, W. (2013). Re-examine the system of mandatory tender offer [An efficiency approach to the mandatory bid rule (in Chinese)] In: Foreign law [Peking University Law Journal], 25, 847 - 859
- Cai, W. (2012). Hostile takeovers and takeover defences in China In: Hong Kong Law Journal, 42, 901 - 938
- Cai, W. (2011). Anti-takeover provisions in China: How powerful are they? In: International Company and Commercial Law Review, 22, 311 - 317
- Cai, W. (2011). The mandatory bid rule in China In: European Business Organization Law Review, 12, 653 - 680
- Cai, W. (2011). Compliance cost and protection on small and medium shareholders In: Jingji yu Guanli [Economy and Management], 25, 1 - 35
- Cai, W. (2011). Civil liability immunity for the stock (futures) exchanges in China: A financial innovation perspective (in Chinese) In: Securities Market Herald [Zhengquan Shichang Daobao], , 57 - 62
1 PhD Current Supervisions