Barbara is a senior lecturer at the School of Education, College of Design and Social Context at RMIT University.
Barbara’s research interests centre on outdoor play in schools and public open spaces. Her work links the pedagogies of learning with the principals of playspace design and she is particularly interested in promoting the value of children’s play in natural outdoor environments, both in schools and public places. A focus of her research is risk benefit analysis and how this relates with playspace design regulations in Australia, both in schools and public spaces.
Research projects, consultancy and projects
2011 Consultant, Development of Fitzroy Gardens Playspace Proposal, Melbourne City Council
2006–2009 Judge, Parks and Leisure Australia National Playground Innovation Awards
2007 Principal researcher , National Heart Foundation Scoping Study – Places to play
Barbara lectures into undergraduate and post graduate early childhood teacher education courses. Her roles at RMIT have included Program Director of the Early Childhood programs.
PhD, RMIT University
Med, RMIT University
Graduate Certificate of Early Childhood Teaching, RMIT University
Diploma of Teaching (Primary), Aquinas College Ballarat
- Elliot, S.,Chancellor, B. (2015). From Forest Preschool to Bush Kinder: An inspirational approach to preschool provision in Australia In: Australasian Journal of Early Childhood, 39, 45 - 53
- Hyndman, B.,Chancellor, B.,Lester, L. (2015). Exploring the seasonal influences on elementary school children's enjoyment of physical activity during school breaks In: Health Behaviour and Policy Review, 2, 182 - 193
- Crowhurst, M.,Chancellor, B.,Lemon, N. (2015). Documenting a collective arts-based methodology: an approach to working with and through complexity In: Journal of Artistic and Creative Education, 9, 100 - 129
- Hyndman, B.,Chancellor, B. (2015). Engaging children in activities beyond the classroom walls: a social-ecological exploration of Australian primary school children's enjoyment of school play activities In: Journal of Playwork Practice, 2, 117 - 141
- Chancellor, B.,Cevher-Kalburan, N. (2014). Comparing and contrasting primary school playgrounds in Turkey and Australia In: International Education Journal: Comparative Perspectives, 13, 41 - 59
- Chancellor, B. (2013). Primary school playgrounds: features and management in Victoria, Australia In: International Journal of Play, 2, 63 - 75
- Sellers, M.,Chancellor, B. (2013). Playing with play(ing): play-fully writing about play In: Global Studies of Childhood, 3, 297 - 309
- Chancellor, B. (2010). Cheonggyecheon: Streaming Currere In: Complicity: An International Journal of Complexity and Education, 7, 16 - 31
- Chancellor, B. (2008). Australian primary school playgrounds: Children's use of playspaces and equipment In: The International Journal of Humanities, 6, 97 - 104
- Wilks, A.,Nyland, B.,Chancellor, B.,Elliott, S. (2008). Analysis of Curriculum/Learning Frameworks for the Early Years (Birth to 8) In: Department of Education and Early Childhood Development East Melbourne, Victoria
1 PhD Current Supervisions