Associate Professor Jared Cole is a senior research fellow in the School of Applied Sciences. He is a theoretical physicist, specialising in quantum theory and its application in electronics, computing and condensed-matter physics. Jared has extensive collaborations with both theoretical and experimental researchers overseas and within Australia. He has also taught various physics subjects at undergraduate and graduate level, both in Australia and Germany. His current research interests include quantum circuit theory, spin physics, decoherence, measurement and entanglement theory, quantum information and computing.
- Quantum coherence in low-temperature electronics and spin systems.
- Quantum computing and quantum information, especially in a solid-state context.
- The use of quantum circuits for applications in quantum computing and quantum metrology.
- Quantum sensing and using induced decoherence as a probe of dissipative environments.
- The interplay between atom-photon interactions and many-body physics.
The latest publications, including those currently under peer-review, are available on the arXiv.
View Associate Professor Jared Cole's full publication and ORCID.
Previous Academic Experience
- 2009 – 2010 Faculty Researcher, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Karlsruhe, Germany
- 2008 – 2009 Alexander von Humboldt Fellow, University of Karlsruhe, Karlsruhe, Germany
- 2006 – 2007 Research Fellow, ARC Centre for Quantum Computer Technology, University of Melbourne
- 2006 PhD, School of Physics, University of Melbourne
- 2002 B. App. Phys. / B. Comm. Eng. (Hons) RMIT University
- Jeske, J.,Cole, J.,Greentree, A. (2016). Laser threshold magnetometry In: New Journal of Physics, 18, 1 - 9
- Dubois, T.,Cyster, M.,Opletal, G.,Russo, S.,Cole, J. (2016). Constructing ab initio models of ultra-thin Al-AlOx-Al barriers In: Molecular Simulation, 42, 542 - 548
- Vogt, N.,Cole, J.,Shnirman, A. (2016). De-pinning of disordered bosonic chains In: New Journal of Physics, 18, 1 - 14
- Jeske, J.,Ing, D.,Plenio, M.,Huelga, S.,Cole, J. (2015). Bloch-Redfield equations for modeling light-harvesting complexes In: AIP Journal of Chemical Physics, 142, -
- Lisenfeld, J.,Grabovskij, G.,Muller, C.,Cole, J.,Weiss, G.,Ustinov, A. (2015). Observation of directly interacting coherent two-level systems in an amorphous material In: Nature Communications, 6, 1 - 6
- Dubois, T.,Russo, S.,Cole, J. (2015). Atomic delocalization as a microscopic origin of two-level defects in Josephson junctions In: New Journal of Physics, 17, 1 - 17
- Cole, J.,Heimes, A.,Duty, T.,Marthaler, M. (2015). Parity effect in Josephson junction arrays In: Physical Review B, 91, 1 - 6
- Cedergren, K.,Kafanov, S.,Smirr, J.,Cole, J.,Duty, T. (2015). Parity effect and single-electron injection for Josephson junction chains deep in the insulating state In: Physical Review B - Condensed Matter and Materials Physics, 92, 1 - 7
- Smith, J.,Drumm, D.,Budi, A.,Vaitkus, J.,Cole, J.,Russo, S. (2015). Electronic transport in Si:P delta-doped wires In: Physical Review B, 92, 1 - 12
- Walker, K.,Vogt, N.,Cole, J. (2015). Charge filling factors in clean and disordered arrays of tunnel junctions In: Scientific Reports, 5, 1 - 8
- Understanding and eliminating dissipation in superconducting devices: the origin of two-level defects. Funded by: ARC Discovery Grant 2014 from (2014 to 2016)
5 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions6 PhD Current Supervisions