Vanessa has taught a wide range of information systems and management courses at the University of Tasmania, Deakin University and RMIT University. She brings her industry experience as a systems engineer within the finance and insurance industries in Australia and the United Kingdom to her teaching activities. Vanessa has won numerous prestigious teaching awards from multiple institutions including the RMIT Vice Chancellor’s Distinguished Teaching Award and a citation from the Australian Government’s Office of Learning and Teaching.
Vanessa’s research in information systems centres on the application of knowledge management and organisational learning theory in the environmental sustainability and disaster management contexts. For example, as part of RMIT’s
Scholarship of Learning and Teaching
Vanessa’s focus in the scholarship of learning and teaching centres on inclusive teaching via the design and implementation of communities of inquiry. She also concentrates on developing industry relevant, research-informed curricula which combines her industry experience and expertise in information systems, knowledge management, sustainability and disaster management. For example, she is currently partnering with academics at the University of Newcastle on a project funded by a grant the Office of Learning and Teaching that will develop the conceptual model for a virtually distributed computer-based teaching and learning tool RES-SIM. This project will provide students across disciplines the opportunity to learn via dynamic disaster system simulations.
Current Teaching Responsibilities
- INTE2397 Knowledge Management
Internal Academic Roles and Responsibilities
- Director, Centre for People, Organisation and Work
External Academic Roles and Responsibilities
- Editorial roles and Associate Editor roles: Green IS tracks at international conferences including the Australasian Conference on Information Systems, Americas Conference on Information Systems, European Conference on Information Systems, International Conference on Information Systems and the International Conference on Sustainability, Technology and Education.
- Conference reviewer: Australasian Conference on Information Systems, European Conference on Information Systems, Americas Conference on Information Systems, International Conference on Information Systems
- Journal reviewer: Communications of the Association of Information Systems, Decision Support Systems, Journal of Association of Information Systems
- Bachelor Applied Computing (UTAS)
- Bachelor Information Systems (hons) (UTAS)
- Master of Education (RMIT University)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Deakin University)
- Member of the Australian Computer Society (MACS)
- Member of the Association of Information Systems (MAIS)
Invited Industry Presentations
- ‘Knowledge management education and research’, Invited Presentation at the Strategic Industry Research Foundation’s KM Roundtable, Melbourne, 3 September 2014.
- ‘Green IT organisational learning’, Workshop for Green IT Master Class, National Science and Technology Development Agency, Ministry of Science and Technology (Thailand), Melbourne, 30 July 2014.
- ‘Knowledge management’, Invited Presentation at National Australia Bank, Melbourne, 28 February 2013.
- Akama, Y.,Cooper, V.,Mees, B. (2016). Beyond transmission: alternative communication frameworks in Australian bushfire preparedness In: International Journal of Disaster Resilience in the Built Environment, 7, 49 - 62
- Cooper, V.,Molla, A. (2016). Information systems absorptive capacity for environmentally driven IS-enabled transformation In: Information Systems Journal, , 1 - 47
- Molla, A.,Cooper, V.,Karpathiou, V. (2015). IT Managers' Perception and Response to Digital Disruption: An Exploratory Study In: The 26th Australasian Conference on Information Systems, Adelaide, 30 November-4 December 2015
- Molla, A.,Cooper, V.,Abareshi, A.,Pittayachawan, S. (2015). Demystifying personal cloud services - An Investigation of Australian consumer expectations and experience In: Australian Communications Consumer Action Network Sydney, Australia
- Nurdiana, A.,Smith, R.,Cooper, V.,Noraizah, A. (2014). Feedback mechanisms to evaluate Australian government education website as vehicles for knowledge transfer In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Advances in Social Science, Economics and Human Behavior - SEH 2014, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 8-9 March 2014
- Fairbrother, P.,Mees, B.,Tyler, M.,Phillips, R.,Akama, Y.,Toh, K.,Cooper, V.,Chaplin, S. (2014). Effective Communication: Communities and Bushfire In: Bushfire Cooperative Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
- Cooper, V.,Molla, A. (2014). Absorptive capacity and contextual factors that influence green IT assimilation In: Australasian Journal of Information Systems, 18, 271 - 288
- Teo, L.,Singh, M.,Cooper, V. (2014). A contingent model for evaluating enterprise systems' benefits using competing value approach In: Proceedings of the 25th Australasian Conference on Information Systems (ACIS 2014), Auckland, New Zealand, 8-10 December 2014
- Teo, L.,Singh, M.,Cooper, V. (2014). An investigation of contingent factors for ES benefits realisation In: Proceedings of the 25th Australasian Conference on Information Systems, ACIS 2014, Auckland, New Zealand, 8-10 December 2014
- Yew, M.,Cooper, V. (2014). An exploratory study of the intention to use information systems to manage electricity consumption: A theme analysis of influencing factors In: Proceedings of the 25th Australasian Conference on Information Systems (ACIS2014), Auckland, New Zealand, 8 - 10 December 2014
- Personal Cloud Use in Australia: Consumers expectations, experience and impact on communications consumption. Funded by: Australian Communications Consumer Action Network (ACCAN) Grants Scheme 2014 from (2014 to 2015)
- Green IT Organisational Learning: Issues, Challenges and Opportunities. Funded by: RMIT Emerging Researcher Grants from (2010 to 2011)
2 PhD Completions3 PhD Current Supervisions