Chris Cottrell is an associate lecturer in Interior Design at RMIT.
Chris's creative research practice aims to suspend, prolong and disrupt the decision-making processes at work in a relational or distributed construction of the world, leading to a heightened awareness of these processes. Interiors co-ordinate and amplify the particular relations between bodies, spaces and materials which can trigger this attentiveness, and thereby open up possibilities for thinking and experiencing the world differently.
He makes use of ephemeral qualities, such as sunlight, weather phenomena, sound and air movement to create ambiguous spatial situations where these amplified relationships can take place. His current projects are exploring ideas of breath, a bodily commonplace that holds a level of complexity in its spatial and energetic implications.
First year studio tutor
Fourth year studio tutor
Coordinator of INDEX 13, Interior Design graduate exhibition.
PhD in progress (Architecture/Interior Design), by project, Affective Environments research stream, RMIT University
MA with Distinction (Fine Art), Edinburgh College of Art, 2009
BArch with honours, University of Auckland, 2004
- Cottrell, C.,Pintos-Lopez, O.,Elliott, S. (2015). Bhubble (Building Movements #4) In: 'Architecture of the Occasion' Melbourne, Australia
- Cottrell, C.,Pintos-Lopez, O.,Elliott, S. (2015). Building Movements #2 In: 'Architecture of the Occasion' New Jersey, United States
- Cottrell, C.,Pratt, S. (2015). With Fluidity artists' book In: With Fluidity Christchurch, New Zealand
- Cottrell, C.,Pratt, S. (2015). With Fluidity audio walk In: With Fluidity Christchurch, New Zealand
- Cottrell, C. (2014). Interior turbulence and the thresholding of atmospheres In: Interstices: Journal of Architecture and Related Arts, 15, 59 - 68
- Cottrell, C.,Hannam, J. (2014). Breath Clouds In: THISNESS Collingwood, Australia
- Cottrell, C. (2012). Kissing the sky: James Turrell's skyspaces In: IDEA Journal - Writing/Drawing: Negotiating the Perils and Pleasures of Interiority, , 88 - 97
- Cottrell, C. (2012). Cloud Sound In: Cloudy Sensoria Melbourne, Australia
- Cottrell, C. (2012). Glacier tracer In: Atlas Newcastle, Australia
- Cottrell, C. (2012). kitset 2.0 In: Edinburgh International Science Festival Edinburgh, Scotland