Dr Cvetkovic is contributing to teaching and learning research in the following areas:
- design engineering education
- cooperative learning
- student-centred learning
- reflective learning
- self and peer assessment
Dr Cvetkovic’s overall research achievements over the last 16 years have included:
- collaborating with industry in the areas of biomedical engineering and design engineering education;
- conducting clinical research studies on sleep disorders where he collaborates with several local and international hospitals and research institutions;
- publishing 75 peer-reviewed edited book, book chapters, journals, conference and abstract papers;
- successfully attracting various competitive international, national, RMIT-internal and industry grants, totalling AU$1.28M+.
Some of the more specific biomedical engineering research areas which Dr Cvetkovic and his team are currently involved include:
- FMRI, EEG, ECG and PSG signal processing and analysis;
- online and offline PSG signal interaction, synchronisation, sleep onset, sleep arousal and sleep micro/macro detection;
- brain computer interface (BCI), biofeedback and neurofeedback;
- embedded programming and electronics for biosignal and bioinstrumentation;
- classification of sleep (insomnia) and psychiatric (schizophrenia) disorders
- electromagnetic field interaction with human EEG.
- Associate member (2014-present) - Science, Health and Engineering Education Research (SHEER) Centre, RMIT University
- Associate member (2009-present) - Health Innovations Research Institute (HIRi), RMIT University
- Research Investigator (2006-2009) - Australian Centre for Radio Frequency Bioeffects Research (ACRBR), NHMRC Centre of Research Excellence, RMIT University
In the media
Dr Cvetkovic’s research appeared in various media (2006-present):
- Radio: RMIT podcast, 3RRR's Radio Live Science show (Einstein a Go Go), ABC Adelaide Radio, 3AW Radio, Fox FM Radio, ABC Melbourne Radio
- TV: RTS (Serbian TV)
- Newspaper: The Age, The Australian, Herald Sun, ‘Serbian Voice’ Newspaper
- Other media: RMIT Postgraduate Program Guide, RMIT Open-line and SECE Research News
Full publication lists (including conference papers, journals, book and book chapters) are available on Dr Cvetkovic’s following profiles:
Dr Dean Cvetkovic is a Senior Lecturer in Biomedical and Electronics Engineering at School of Electrical and Computer Engineering (RMIT University).
At RMIT University, Dr. Cvetkovic is an:
- Associate member of Health Innovations Research Institute (HIRi);
- Associate member of Science, Health and Engineering Education Research (SHEER) Centre.
- Member of Science, Health and Engineering College Human Ethics Advisory Network (CHEAN);
Dr. Cvetkovic’s research at RMIT University spans over the last 16 years in the engineering areas of biomedicine, electronics, mechatronics and design engineering education.
Dr Cvetkovic’s last 7 years of teaching duties as a course coordinator, senior lecturer and tutor include undergraduate (year 2 and 3) and postgraduate courses: engineering design 2, engineering design 3, biomedical engineering design 3, biomedical signal analysis, electronics 2, audio engineering and, bioelectromagnetism.
Past and current teaching duties at RMIT University for the following roles, courses and year(s) taught:
- (2015) Coordinator, lecturer and tutor for 3rd year Undergraduate “Biomedical Engineering Design 3” (OENG1101/1102)
- (2015) Coordinator, lecturer and tutor for 3rd year Undergraduate “Biomedical Signal Analysis” (EEET1417)
- (2012, 2014) Coordinator, lecturer and tutor for 2nd year Undergraduate “Electronics” (EEET2255)
- (2012) Lecturer for 2nd year Undergraduate “Engineering Design 2” (EEET2257)
- (2008-2014) Coordinator and lecturer for 3rd year Undergraduate and Postgraduate “Engineering Design 3A and 3B” (EEET2258/2259 and EEET2346/2347)
- (2007-2014) Coordinator and lecturer for 3rd year Undergraduate and Postgraduate “Bioelectromagnetism” (EEET2160/2331)
- (2008) Coordinator and lecturer for 3rd year Undergraduate and Postgraduate “Audio Engineering” (EEET1412/1462)
- (2002) Lecturer for Undergraduate “Engineering in Sports”
- Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching and Learning, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia, Jul 2009.
- Ph.D. in Engineering (Biomedical), RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia, Nov 2005.
- Masters in Engineering by Research (Mechanical), RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia, Oct 2002.
- Bachelor in Engineering (Electronic and Electrical), Victoria University of Technology, Melbourne, Australia, May 1998.
- (Dec 2011-present) Senior Lecturer, RMIT University, Electrical and Computer Engineering
- (Jan 2008-2011) Lecturer,RMIT University, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- (Nov 2005-Dec 2007) Postdoctoral Research Fellow, RMIT University, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- (Apr-Nov 2005) Research Associate, RMIT University, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- (Jan 2001-Apr 2005) Tutor, RMIT University, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- (Jun-Dec 2000) Research Assistant, RMIT University, School of Aerospace, Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering (Grant: Ansoft Corporation, Pittsburgh, USA)
Book editorial (proposal)
- Springer – Physics
- IEEE Transactions in Biomedical Engineering, IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Circuits and Systems, IET/IEE Circuits, Devices & Systems, Digital Signal Processing, Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, Biomedical Signal Processing and Control, Expert Systems-Journal of Knowledge Engineering, International Journal of Systems Science, Electromagnetic Biology and Medicine, Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications Progress in Electromagnetic Research, Journal of Neural Engineering, Brain Research Bulletin, Experimental Brain Research, Behavioral and Brain Functions, Clinical EEG and Neuroscience, International Journal of Psychophysiology, International Journal for Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics.
- (2014) 5th ISSNIP Biosignals & Biorobotics Conference, Salvador, Brazil
- (2014) IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, Chicago, IL, USA
- (2013) Australasian Association for Engineering Education Annual Conference (AAEE2013)
- (2013) IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society Conference on Neural Engineering
- (2009-2013) IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS)
- (2009) International Symposium on Bioelectronics and Bioinformatics
- (2009) Asia Pacific Conference on Defense & Security Technology
- (Nov 2013) RWTH Aachen (Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy), Aachen, Germany.
- (Nov 2013) Charité – University of Medicine Berlin (Interdisciplinary Center of Sleep Medicine), Berlin, Germany.
- (Sep 2006) Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT), Computer Science Department, Rochester, NY, USA.
- (2014-present) - Science, Engineering & Health College Human Ethics Advisory Network (CHEAN), RMIT University
- (2013) Panel Chair, ACIS 2013, 24th Australasian Conference in Information Systems (ACIS)
- (2015) Advisory Committee Member, International Conference on BioSignal Analysis, Processing and Systems (ICBAPS15) in collaboration with IEEE Signal Processing Society (Malaysia Section), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- (2013) Technical Committee Member, IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society Conference on Neural Engineering
- (2012) Technical Program Committee Member, IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Sensors, Sensor Networks and Information Processing (ISSNIP)
- (2009) Committee Member Organiser, International Symposium on Bioelectronics and Bioinformatics, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- (2008-present) Technical Committee Member, IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS) International Conferences
- (2008) Conference Session Organiser/Chairman, HIC Australian’s Health Informatics Conference, Melbourne, Australia
- (2007) Technical Program Chairman, International Workshop on Mobile Computing Technologies for Pervasive Healthcare, Phillip Island, Australia
- (2004) Conference Session Organiser/Chairman, 10th Mediterranean Conference on Medical and Biological Engineering (MEDICON), Italy
Member of societies
- (2014-2015) Australian Chronobiology Society (ACS)
- (2008-present) IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology
- (2009) IEEE Education Society
- Chaparro, R.,Schilling, C.,Schredl, M.,Cvetkovic, D. (2016). Sleep electroencephalography and heart rate variability interdependence amongst healthy subjects and insomnia/schizophrenia patients In: Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing, 54, 77 - 91
- Chaparro Vargas, R.,Ahmed, B.,Wessel, N.,Penzel, T.,Cvetkovic, D. (2016). Insomnia Characterisation: From Hypnograms to Graph Spectral Theory In: Biomedical Engineering, IEEE Transactions on, PP, 1 - n/a
- Dissanayaka Manamperi, P.,Abdullah, H.,Ahmed, B.,Penzel, T.,Cvetkovic, D. (2015). Classification of Healthy Subjects and Insomniac Patients Based on Automated Sleep Onset Detection In: International Conference for Innovation in Biomedical Engineering and Life Sciences, IFMBE Proceedings 56, Putrajaya, Malaysia, 6-8 December 2015
- Dissanayaka Manamperi, P.,Cvetkovic, D.,Patti, C.,Salary Shahrbabaki, S.,Ahmed, B.,Schilling, C.,Schredl, M. (2015). Sleep Onset Detection with Multiple EEG Alpha-Band Features: Comparison Between Healthy, Insomniac and Schizophrenic Patients In: Proceedings of IEEE BioCAS 2015, Atlanta, United States, 22-24 Oct 2015
- Salary Shahrbabaki, S.,Dissanayaka Manamperi, P.,Patti, C.,Cvetkovic, D. (2015). Automatic Detection of Sleep Arousal Events from Polysomnographic Biosignals In: 2015 IEEE Biomedical Circuits and Systems Conference (BioCAS), Atlanta, GA, USA, 22-24 October 2015
- Patti, C.,Salary Shahrbabaki, S.,Dissanayaka Manamperi, P.,Cvetkovic, D. (2015). Application of Random Forest Classifier for Automatic Sleep Spindle Detection In: 2015 IEEE BioCAS Proceedings, Atlanta, United States, 22-24 October 2015
- Malaekah, E.,Salary Shahrbabaki, S.,Cvetkovic, D. (2015). Automatic sleep stage detection and classification: distinguishing between patients with periodic limb movements, Sleep Apnea Hypopnea Syndrome, and healthy controls using electrooculography (EOG) signals In: Journal of Bioprocessing and Biotechniques, 5, 1 - 6
- Patti, C.,Penzel, T.,Cvetkovic, D. (2015). Automated Sleep Spindle Detection using IIR filters and a Gaussian Mixture Model In: EMBC's 2015 Proceedings, Milan, Italy, 25-29 August 2015
- Chaparro Vargas, R.,Ahmed, B.,Penzel, T.,Cvetkovic, D. (2015). Characterising Insomnia: A Graph Spectral Theory Approach In: EMBC's 2015 Proceedings, Milan, Italy, 25-29 August 2015
- Chaparro Vargas, R.,Ahmed, B.,Penzel, T.,Cvetkovic, D. (2015). Searching arousals: A fuzzy logic approach In: EMBC's 2015 Proceedings, Milan, Italy, 25-29 August 2015
- Automated electronic diary, actigraphy and GSR tool to monitor and track psychomotor, locomotor, psychological and psycho-social activity and stressors of schizophrenia. Funded by: Connecting Australian-European Science and Innovation Excellence (CAESIE) Grant pre-2014 from (2014 to 2014)
- The development of a clinician's aide to monitor and screen insomnia. Funded by: Texas Engineering Experiment Station Grant pre-2014 from (2013 to 2016)
- Investigation of Human Sleep Disorders: Design of Sleep Depth Estimator and Sleep Aid. Funded by: RMIT Emerging Researcher Grants from (2007 to 2010)
3 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions7 PhD Current Supervisions