- Role of fibroblasts and endothelial cells in wound repair.
- Wound healing in diabetes and ageing.
- Mechanisms controlling apoptosis (programmed cell death).
- Tumour Stroma and cancer associated fibroblasts.
- Pathophysiology of renal and hepatic fibrosis.
- My main research interest is in the role of growth factors and cytokines in regulating tissue repair and wound healing and the importance of tumour stroma in cancer.
Summary of responsibilities
I am currently selection officer for the Biomedical Science program. I am a member of the Cell Biology and Anatomy discipline within the School of Medical Sciences. I have a research laboratory with an NHMRC-funded post-doctoral fellow and postgraduate students carrying out research into cancer and tissue repair.
I am mainly involved in the teaching of cell biology to Biomedical Sciences students and students in Chinese Medicine, Chiropractic, Osteopathy, Medical Radiation and Human Movement courses. In addition, I teach advanced histopathology techniques and cell biology to students in Biomedical Sciences and Laboratory Medicine courses. At the postgraduate level, I have acted as supervisor to Honours, Masters and PhD students doing degrees by research.
- Bachelor of Science (Honours), University of Melbourne, 1983
- PhD, University of Melbourne, 1987
Industry, profession and community involvement
- Invited speaker at national and international conferences on wound healing research.
- Reviewer for numerous international journals.
- Member of the editorial advisory board of International Wound Journal
- Assessor for the Heart Foundation of Australia, Diabetes Australia Research Trust, National Health & Medical Research Council.
- Member of European Tissue Repair Society, Australasian Wound and Tissue Repair Society and Australian Society for Medical Research.
- Member of the board of the Australasian Wound and Tissue Repair Society.
Projects and consultancies
- Diabetes Australia Research Trust – Role of non-enzymatic glycosylation in diabetes-impaired wound healing
- NHMRC – Biology of the renal myofibroblast
- Sir Edward Dunlop Foundation – Role of Sox transcription factors in angiogenesis
- ARC – Mechanism of skeletal muscle (myocyte) apoptosis induced by lipids
- Australian Academy of Science – Cancer Associated Fibroblasts
- ARC – Mathematical modelling of the role of hypoxia and contraction in wound healing
- Darby, I.,Zakuan, N.,Billet, F.,Desmouliere, A. (2016). The myofibroblast, a key cell in normal and pathological tissue repair In: Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, 73, 1145 - 1157
- Al Matroodi, S.,McDonald, C.,Darby, I.,Pouniotis, D. (2016). Characterization of M1/M2 tumour-associated macrophages (TAMs) and Th1/Th2 cytokine profiles in patients with NSCLC In: Cancer Microenvironment, 9, 1 - 11
- Al Matroodi, S.,McDonald, C.,Collins, A.,Darby, I.,Pouniotis, D. (2015). Quantitative proteomics of bronchoalveolar lavage fluid in lung adenocarcinoma In: Cancer Genomics and Proteomics, 12, 39 - 48
- Kopecki, Z.,Yang, G.,Jackson, J.,Melville, E.,Caley, M.,Murrell, D.,Darby, I.,O'Toole, E.,Samuel, M.,Cowin, A. (2015). Cytoskeletal protein Flightless I inhibits apoptosis, enhances tumor cell invasion and promotes cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma progression In: Oncotarget, 6, 36426 - 36440
- Flegg, J.,Kasza, J.,Darby, I.,Weller, C. (2015). Healing of venous ulcers using compression therapy: Predictions of a mathematical model In: Journal of Theoretical Biology, 379, 1 - 9
- Al Matroodi, S.,McDonald, C.,Collins, A.,Darby, I.,Pouniotis, D. (2014). Blood classical monocytes phenotype is not altered in primary non-small cell lung cancer In: World Journal of Clinical Oncology, 5, 1078 - 1087
- Darby, I.,Laverdet, B.,Bonte, F.,Desmoulière, A. (2014). Fibroblasts and myofibroblasts in wound healing In: Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigational Dermatology, 7, 301 - 311
- White, J.,Werkmeister, J.,Bisucci, T.,Darby, I.,Ramshaw, J. (2014). Temporal variation in the deposition of different types of collagen within a porous biomaterial implant In: Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 102, 3550 - 3555
- Musyoka, J.,Liu, M.,Pouniotis, D.,Wong, C.,Bowtell, D.,Little AM, P.,Getachew, R.,Moller, A.,Darby, I. (2013). Siah2-deficient mice show impaired skin wound repair In: Wound Repair and Regeneration, 21, 437 - 447
- Micallef, L.,Vedrenne, N.,Billet, F.,Coulomb, B.,Darby, I.,Desmoulière, A. (2012). The myofibroblast, multiple origins for major roles in normal and pathological tissue repair In: Fibrogenesis and Tissue Repair, 5, 1 - 5
- Clinical effectiveness of aspirin in healing chronic venous leg ulcers: a randomised double-blinded placebo-controlled trial. Administered by Monash University. Funded by: National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Project Grant 2014 from (2014 to 2017)
- A Fast-Scanning Spectral Confocal Microscope for RMIT Bundoora for use in cardiovascular, diabetes, cancer and neuroscience research. Funded by: Ramaciotti Foundation Equipment Grant pre-2014 from (2009 to 2009)
- A Mathematical Model of the Roles of Contraction and Oxygen in Human Wound Healing. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects via other University Grant pre-2014 from (2008 to 2010)
- Stromal Reaction in Hepatic Cancers: Characterisation and Identification of Fibrogenic Cells and Mediators. Funded by: AAS (Australian Academy of Science) Scientific Visits to Europe from (2007 to 2007)
- Molecular basis of skeletal muscle lipoapoptosis. Funded by: ARC Discovery 2006 from (2006 to )
6 PhD Completions6 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions