The prediction of diffuse field sound insulation, the directivity of sound insulation, the directivity of the radiation of sound from openings, , reverberant and anechoic sound fields, microphone turbulence screens, urban noise, building acoustics measurements.
Associate Professor John Davy is a member of the Acoustics research group.
- Acoustic and Vibration Measurement Technical Advisory Committee of the National Association of Testing Authorities, Australia, Chairman since 2007, member since 2004.
- Member of the Measurement Science and Technology Accreditation Advisory Committee of the National Association of Testing Authorities, Australia since 2007.
- Member of European Cooperation in the Field of Scientific and Technical Research (COST) Action FP0702: “Net-acoustics for Timber based Lightweight Buildings and Elements“ since 2009.
- Australian representative on the International Standards Organisation working group ISO/TC 43/SC 2/WG 26 "Measurement of sound absorption in a reverberation room" since 2009.
- Member of the Scientific Committees for the Sixth to Seventeenth International Congresses on Sound and Vibration from 1999 to 2010.
- Member of the advisory committee for the Second International Symposium on Fan Noise, Senlis, France, 2003.
Acoustics, Noise, Sound, Insulation, Absorption, Directivity, Reverberation, Anechoic, Reverberant, Radiation Acoustics, Noise and Sound
- Adjunct Professor of RMIT University, building acoustics research
- BSc(Hons) La Trobe, PhD ANU
- Member, Australian Mathematical Society
- FELLOW, Australian Acoustical Society
- MEMBER, American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers
- MEMBER, Acoustical Society of America
Recent Journal Publications
- Davy, J.L. (2010). The improvement of a simple theoretical model for the prediction of the sound insulation of double leaf walls. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 127(2):841:849.
- Davy, J.L. (2009). Predicting the sound insulation of single leaf walls – extension of Cremer's model. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 126(4), 1871-1877.
- Davy, J.L. (2009). The variance of the discrete frequency transmission function of a reverberant room. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 126(3):1199-1206.
- Davy, J.L. (2009). The forced radiation efficiency of finite size flat panels which are excited by incident sound. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 126(2):694-702.
- Davy, J.L. (2009). The directivity of the sound radiation from panels and openings. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 125(6):3795-3805.
- Davy, J.L. (2009). Predicting the sound insulation of walls. Journal of Building Acoustics 16(1):1-20.
- Davy, J.L. (2007). The modal and flow velocity corrections of microphone turbulence screens. Journal of Sound and Vibration 306(1-2):172-191.
- Cambridge, J.,Davy, J.,Pearse, J. (2017). The influence of finite and infinite wall cavities on the sound insulation of double-leaf walls In: Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 141, 207 - 218
- Wareing, R.,Davy, J.,Pearse, J. (2016). The sound insulation of single leaf finite size rectangular plywood panels with orthotropic frequency dependent bending stiffness In: Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 139, 520 - 528
- Davy, J.,Irwin, A. (2016). The transmitted and reflected waves due to the incidence of a forced wave on a junction In: Building Acoustics, 23, 3 - 16
- Larner, D.,Davy, J. (2016). Predicting the absorption of perforated panels backed by resistive textiles In: Noise Control Engineering Journal, 64, 259 - 267
- Liu, Z.,Zhan, J.,Fard, M.,Davy, J. (2016). Acoustic properties of a porous polycarbonate material produced by additive manufacturing In: Materials Letters, 181, 296 - 299
- Davy, J.,Wareing, R.,Pearse, J. (2016). The sound insulation of plywood sheets In: Proceedings of Twenty-Third International Congress on Sound and Vibration, Athens, Greece, 10-14 July 2014
- Liu, Z.,Fard, M.,Davy, J. (2016). Acoustic properties of the porous material in a car cabin model In: Twenty-Third International Congress on Sound and Vibration, Athens, Greece, 10-14 July 2016
- Davy, J.,Irwin, A. (2016). The transmission of forced waves at a junction In: Proceedings of the 45th International Congress and Exposition on Noise Control Engineering (INTER-NOISE 2016), Hamburg, Germany, 21-24 August 2016
- Liu, Z.,Fard, M.,Davy, J. (2016). (In Press) Prediction of the effect of porous sound-absorbing material inside a coupled plate cavity system In: International Journal of Vehicle Noise and Vibration, 12, 314 - 330
- Larner, D.,Davy, J. (2015). The prediction of the diffuse field sound absorption of perforated panel systems In: Proceedings of the 44th InterNoise Congress and Exposition on Noise Control Engineering, San Francisco, CA, United States, 9-12 August 2015
- Novel sound absorbing and sound insulating systems. Funded by: Atkar Group Pty Ltd Contract from (2013 to 2016)
1 PhD Completions and 3 Masters by Research Completions1 PhD Current Supervisions