Dr de Silva is an applied economist/econometrician specialising in the analysis of the property (including housing) sector, natural resources, credit & financial markets and government policy. He has published papers in leading international academic journals as well as written several reports for key industry bodies.
He has a strong record of attaining grants, industry research contracts as well as Government funding to investigate areas of household finances and broader economic policy. Representatives from industry and the popular press regularly contact him for his perspectives and insights.
- Subject Area: Econometrics and Economics
Level: Undergraduate, Postgraduate and (E)MBA.
- BCom(Hons), PhD (Econometrics) Monash University
- Wood, G.,Sommervoll, D.,De Silva, A. (2016). Do urban house prices converge? In: Urban Policy and Research , 34, 102 - 115
- Sharam, A.,McShane, I.,Bryant, L.,De Silva, A. (2016). The barriers to re-purposing not-for-profit real property assets In: Property Management, 34, 247 - 261
- Sharam, A.,McShane, I.,Bryant, L.,De Silva, A. (2016). Are not-for-profit organisations a source of land for affordable housing? An Exploratory Study In: Proceedings of the 22nd Annual Pacific-Rim Real Estate Society Conference 2016, Sunshine Coast, Australia, 17-20 January 2016
- De Silva, A.,Sinclair, S.,Angelopoulos, S. (2016). Retirees, creatives and housing market complexity: challenges for policy-makers In: Australian Economic Review, 49, 340 - 351
- Liu, B.,Di Iorio, A.,De Silva, A. (2016). Equity fund performance: Can momentum be explained by the pricing of idiosyncratic volatility? In: Studies in Economics and Finance, 33, 359 - 376
- De Silva, A.,Thomas, S.,Sinclair, S.,Alavi Fard, F. (2016). Home Equity Release: Challenges and opportunities In: Australian Centre for Financial Studies Melbourne, Australia
- Wong, W.,De Silva, A. (2015). House price convergence: a Melbourne case study In: Proceedings from the 21st Pacific-Rim Real Estate Society Conference - 2015, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 18-25 January 2015
- Angelopoulos, S.,Boymal, J.,De Silva, A.,Potts, J. (2015). Does residential diversity attract workers in creative occupations? In: Australasian Journal of Regional Studies, 21, 202 - 230
- Banks, M.,De Silva, A.,Russell, R. (2015). Trends in the Australian small loan market In: Australian Centre for Financial Studies Melbourne, Australia
- Dobele, A.,McMurray, A.,Robinson, L.,Gupte, P.,De Silva, A. (2015). Traditional PhD vs. Contemporary PhD: have we lost our way? In: Proceddings of The Art and Science of Marketing Education: Marketing Management Association Fall Educators' Conference, Puerto Rico, United States, 14-16 September 2015
- Evidence-based inquiry into property transfer methodologies (RCP105). Funded by: AHURI National Housing Research Program Grants 2016 from (2016 to 2017)
- Harnessing housing policy for economic productivity: A multilevel governance and spatial perspective. Funded by: AHURI National Housing Research Program Grants 2015 from (2015 to 2016)
- The Australian Small Amount Credit Contract Market: Risks and Opportunities. Funded by: Australian Centre for Financial Studies Research Grants 2014 from (2014 to 2015)
- Are Reverse Mortgages a Pathway to a Deeper Annuities Market?. Funded by: Australian Centre for Financial Studies Research Grants 2014 from (2014 to 2015)
- Who Started the Fire: Has Residential Mortgage Innovation Fuelled a Housing Affordability Crisis?. Funded by: Australian Centre for Financial Studies Grant pre-2014 from (2013 to 2015)
6 PhD Completions7 PhD Current Supervisions