Main present research interests: lighter-than-air aircraft technology and flight (performance) analysis; aerospace propulsion systems.
Emerging interests: aerobiology, biological flight.
I am interested in supervising PhD students in all areas of aerospace design, flight performance analysis and flight dynamics, including natural flight and bio-inspired systems.
Current awards: AMSI Aerochute Pty Ltd project to develop alternative powered parawing-trike.
Other research-related project websites: Dendronautics.
Graham Dorrington has participated in several documentaries:
- Teaching and coordinating this semester:
- AERO2360 Aerospace Propulsion
- AERO2366, Aerospace Group Project (Critical Design)
- AERO2423, Aerospace Special Project (UFAV).
- Supervising individual 4th year projects.
- Ph.D., University of Cambridge, UK (1989)
Previous employment with: European Space Agency (ESA-ESTEC) Noordwijk (the Netherlands); RAE Farnborough and Bedford (UK), British Aerospace (Space and Communications. Div); British Aerospace Aircraft Division (Chester and Hatfield UK); Monarch Airlines (UK); Hamilton Airship Company (South Africa); Southampton University (UK); Queen Mary, University of London (UK).
Formerly: Alexander von Humboldt Fellow, ESA Research Fellow
Designed, built and flew two ultra-light (battery-electric motor powered) airships over tropical rain forest, Sabah (1995), Guyana (2004).
- Dorrington, G. (2016). Heavily loaded flight and limits to the maximum size of dragonflies (Anisoptera) and griffenflies (Meganisoptera) In: Lethaia, 49, 261 - 274
- Dorrington, G. (2016). Certification and performance: What is needed from an aviation fuel? In: Biofuels for Aviation, Elsevier, Amsterdam
- Herringer, J.,Lester, D.,Dorrington, G.,Rosengarten, G.,Mitchell, J. (2016). Hydrodynamic Drift Ratchet Scalability In: American Institute of Chemical Engineers Journal, , 1 - 9
- Michael, C.,Ogawa, H.,Dorrington, G. (2015). Thrust augmentation through after-burning in scramjet nozzles In: Advances in aircraft and spacecraft science, 2, 183 - 198
- Herringer, J.,Dorrington, G.,Rosengarten, G. (2014). Effective diffusion coefficient and average drift velocity for a bioinspired drift ratchet In: Proceedings of the19th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference 2014, Melbourne, Australia, 8-11 December 2014
- Michael, C.,Ogawa, H.,Dorrington, G. (2014). Thrust augmentation by after-burning in a scramjet nozzle In: Proceedings of the 19th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference 2014, Melbourne, Australia, 8-11 December 2014
- Burston, M.,Conroy, T.,Spiteri, L.,Spiteri, M.,Bil, C.,Dorrington, G. (2013). Conceptual design of sustainable liquid methane fuelled passenger aircraft In: 20th ISPE International Conference on Concurrent Engineering, IOS Press, Netherlands
- Parker, A.,Dorrington, G. (2013). Are synthetic liquid hydrocarbon fuels the future of more sustainable aviation in Australia? In: International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 38, 14832 - 14836
- Dorrington, G. (2013). Buoyancy estimation of a montgolfiere in the atmosphere of Titan In: The Aeronautical Journal, 117, 943 - 957
- Dorrington, G. (2013). Preliminary evidence for drizzle in the middle cloud layer of Venus In: Advances in Space Research, 52, 505 - 511
1 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions2 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions