Dr Jennifer Elsden-Clifton is a Senior Lecturer in the School of Education at RMIT University.
Grants, consultancy and funding
2013 Family Planning Victoria, Consultancy “Ready to Launch“ Professional Learning Package $3,000
2012 “Interteaching: Dissemination and Evaluation across three RMIT Colleges“ RMIT Learning and Teaching Investment Fund, $50, 000
2010-2011 Department of Education and Early Childhood Development. Beginning Teacher Program/Supporting New Teachers Practices $1.3M (No of CI: 3, Category 2)
Dr Elsden-Clifton was the Chief Investigator and principal researcher in the Supporting New Teachers’ Practice program, a Department of Education and Early childhood Development (DEECD) funded program of around $1.3 million, which aims to support beginning teachers as they face the challenges of being new to the profession. Using a blended learning design, the three year professional learning program involved up to 600 beginning teachers from across the state of Victoria.
2008 Latham G, Faulkner J, Elsden-Clifton J, Carr N, Crowhurst, M (2008) Building and Sustaining Critical Pedagogy and Effective Feedback Strategies within Communities of Practice. Learning and Teaching Communities of Practice Fund. $50,000
2007 Elsden-Clifton J (2007) Building a Community of Practice: A Modified Practicum Model. Early Researcher Grant. $5,000
Award: Doctor of Philosophy
Elsden-Clifton, J. (2004) The Transformative Potential of Art: Inviting Subjectivity into the Classroom. Unpublished Doctoral Thesis, CQUniversity, Australia.
Elsden, J (1999) Please Leave Your Body at the Door: Female Sexuality and Bodies in the Classroom. Unpublished Honours Thesis, CQUniversity, Australia.
As an experienced school teacher and university educator, Dr Elsden-Clifton teaches in teacher preparation programs in the areas of health education, professional issues in teaching, diversity and curriculum. Dr Elsden-Clifton also the Academic Director of Professional Placement is responsible for the role of professional experience in teacher education programs and developing school partnerships.
Awards and distinctions (e.g. fellowships, teaching awards)
2009: RMIT Teaching Award, Early Career Academic. For outstanding contributions to education students’ learning through innovative and engaging activities based on student centred reflective practice across courses and programs in the School of Education.
2009: ACSA award for Innovative Curriculum (Community of Practice: A Modified Practicum Model).
2000: Australian Post-Graduate Award Scholarship (with stipend)
- Elsden-Clifton, J.,Futter-Puati, D. (2015). Creating a health and sustainability nexus in food education: designing third spaces in teacher education? In: Australian Journal of Environmental Education, 31, 86 - 98
- Jordan, K.,Elsden-Clifton, J. (2015). The role of educational technology in third space practicum In: Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Computer Supported Education - (Volume 1) (CSEDU 2015), Lisbon, Portugal, 23-25 May 2015
- Elsden-Clifton, J.,Jordan, K. (2015). (In press) What's up DOCC? Creating third space courses in teacher education In: Proceedings of the annual conference of the Australian Teacher Education Association (ATEA), Darwin, Australia, 8-10 July 2015
- Dinh, H.,Jordan, K.,Elsden-Clifton, J. (2015). Measuring TPACK in Vietnam: Issues still remain In: Proceedings of EdMedia: World Conference on Educational Media and Technology 2015, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, 22-24 June 2016
- Jordan, K.,Elsden-Clifton, J. (2014). Through the lens of third space theory - possibilities for research methodologies in educational technologies In: Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Computer Supported Education, CSEDU 2014, Barcelona, Spain, 1-3 April 2014
- Jordan, K.,Elsden-Clifton, J. (2013). Rethinking web 2.0 learning via third space In: ePedagogy in Online Learning: New Developments in Web Mediated Human Computer Interaction, IGI Global, United States
- Jordan, K.,Elsden-Clifton, J. (2013). Enhanced ICT practicum partnership: Improving pre-service teachers' ICT toolkit In: Proceedings of 24th International Conference Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education, New Orleans, United States, 25 - 29 March 2013
- Elsden-Clifton, J.,Jordan, K. (2013). The pre-service teachers ICT toolkit: expertise and expectations In: Proceedings of World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications (EdMedia 2013), Victoria, Canada, 24-28 June 2013
- Elsden-Clifton, J. (2012). Negotiating disruption in visual arts education In: Disrupting Pedagogies in the Knowledge Society : Countering Conservative Norms with Creative Approaches, IGI, Hershey, PA, USA
- Jordan, K.,Elsden-Clifton, J. (2012). To come online or not: Factors influencing beginning teachers participation in a blended professional learning program In: Proceedings of Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference 2012, Austin, Texas, USA, 5-9 March 2012
- Is there a middle years issue within university courses . Funded by: RMIT Emerging Researcher Grants from (2009 to 2009)
4 PhD Completions5 PhD Current Supervisions