Dr Benno Engels is a lecturer at the School of Global, Urban and Social Studies at RMIT.
Urban and regional restructuring
Victorian state politics
Australian political economy
Public sector restructuring
Benno is a committed teacher and supervisor who seeks to share his passion and interest in politics and public policy with his students. At the present time, he teaches in state politics, comparative social policy, social planning and economics. He also retains a keen interest in the media and politics, urban political economy and socio-spatial analysis.
In the past, Benno has conducted research on the operation of urban housing markets, the political economy of Victoria and the politicisation of language in public policy discourse. More recently, he has been doing research on urban poverty and emergency relief, plus a locational analysis of services for the elderly in select parts of Victoria.
BA (Hons), Sydney
- Engels, B. (2015). Re-thinking the relations between capitalism, urban development and historic shifts in planning practice In: Connections: Exploring Contemporary Planning Theory and Practice with Patsy Healey, Ashgate, United Kingdom
- Liu, G.,Engels, B. (2013). Determining the provision of resources for a spatially dispersed ageing population In: Progress in Geospatial Science Research, Melbourne, Australia, 12-14 December 2011
- Liu, G.,Engels, B. (2012). Accessibility to essential services and facilities by a spatially dispersed aging population in suburban Melbourne, Australia In: Advances in Location Based Services : 8th International Symposium on Location-Based Services, Vienna 2011 - Lecture Notes in Geoinformation and Cartography, Springer-Verglag, Germany
- Engels, B.,Nissim, R.,Landvogt, K. (2012). Financial hardship and emergency relief in Victoria In: Australian Social Work, 65, 54 - 72
- Engels, B.,Liu, G. (2012). Ageing in place: the out-of-home travel patterns of seniors in Victoria and its policy implications In: Urban Policy and Research, Online, 1 - 22
- Engels, B.,Liu, G. (2011). Social exclusion, location and transport disadvantage amongst non-driving seniors in a Melbourne municipality, Australia In: Journal of Transport Geography, 19, 984 - 996
- Engels, B.,Nissim, R.,Landvogt, K. (2009). Under pressure: costs of living, financial hardship and emergency relief in Victoria In: Victoria Council of Social Service and ER Victoria Melbourne, Australia
- Ahmad, S.,Liu, G.,Engels, B. (2009). A simple GIS-based method for transferring census data from CCDs to MBs In: Proceedings of the SSC2009: the Biennial International Conference of the Surveying and Spatial Sciences Institute (SSSI), Adelaide Convention Centre, Adelaide, Australia, 28 September - 2 October 2009
- Jones, S.,Jones, M.,Crist, G.,Engels, B.,Montague, A.,De Silva, S. (2008). Evaluating a multi-disciplinary virtual WIL project In: WACE/ ACEN Asia Pacific Conference 2008 E-Proceedings, Sydney, 30 September - 3 October 2008
- Engels, B. (2008). Food insecurity and children: An investigation of school breakfast clubs in Melbourne, Victoria In: Just Policy, 48, 4 - 15
- AHURI Postgraduate Top-up Scholarship - Cael Leskovec. Funded by: AHURI Top-Up Scholarship (part of the National Housing research Program) pre- 2014 from (2012 to 2015)
- Locational advantage and disadvantage for seniors in Victoria project. Funded by: Office of Seniors Victoria, Department of Victorian Communities Contract from (2006 to 2007)
1 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions1 PhD Current Supervisions