Francis has been an active researcher for the last twenty years. His research interests lie primarily in the qualitative area both in the consumption and management domain. He has published widely in leading journals and his research encompasses marketing strategy, branding, consumer culture, sport marketing and sponsorship, and product design. Francis has been invited to speak on his research institutions such as at the Harvard Business School, the London School of Economics, and the University of Oregon, Ecole Supe´rieure de Commerce de Paris (ESCP), EM Lyon, and several Universities in Australia.
Research Projects and Funding
Francis has been the recipient of numerous external research grants. Some of these grants are noted below.
- 2010: Vic Health – ($190, 000) – Drinking-Related Lifestyles: Development and implementation of lifestyle segmentation model (with Reid, Fry and Farrell).
- 2008: Australian Research Council (ARC) Discovery – ($35, 000) – Developing a Brand Authenticity Scale (with Beverland, Napoli and Dickson).
- 2005: Australian Research Council (ARC) Discovery ($100,500) – Sharing values / Brands and Co-creation (with Quester and Beverland).
- 2004: Australian Research Council (ARC) Linkage Grant ($238,000) – (CI) - A Model of Sport Fan Involvement and Loyalty (with Quester and Beverland).
Francis has had a long and distinguished teaching career. Francis teaching interests include strategic marketing, marketing principles and consumer behaviour. He has published widely on teaching quality, published numerous teaching materials including a Harvard Business School case on iSnack (the new vegemite), and secured in excess of $500,000 in teaching grants including national competitive grants. He has been the recipient of several teaching awards including the Pearson Australia and New Zealand Distinguished Marketing Educator of the Year Award.
- PhD in Marketing, University of Adelaide, 2002.
- Master of Business/Marketing, Monash University, 1996.
- Bachelor of Business/Marketing, Monash University, 1990.
Francis has consulted on marketing projects for numerous organisations both in Australia and in international markets over a twenty-year period ranging from one-off projects to long-term strategic plans over a period of years. This includes work with Australian Football League (AFL), the National Basketball League (NBL) and several professional sports teams, as well as numerous other organisations such as Rip Curl, the TAC and World Vision. He more recently worked on a project relating to sponsorship of the London 2012 Olympics with the Lane 4 Group. He has also acted as a research leader of the food innovation hub/network, an extension of the Prime Ministers task force working toward building Australia’s innovation capacity in the Asian Century.
- Chung-Moya, E.,Beverland, M.,Farrelly, F. (2016). Exploring voids and consumer addiction In: Rediscovering the Essentiality of Marketing, Springer International Publishing, Switzerland
- Beverland, M.,Micheli, P.,Farrelly, F. (2016). Resourceful sensemaking:overcoming barriers between marketing and design in NPD In: Journal of Product Innovation Management, 33, 628 - 648
- Conduit, J.,Karpen, I.,Farrelly, F. (2016). Student engagement: A multiple layer phenomenon In: Making a Difference Through Marketing, Springer, Singapore
- Stavros, C.,Meng, M.,Westberg, K.,Farrelly, F. (2014). Understanding fan motivation for interacting on social media In: Sport Management Review, 17, 455 - 469
- Napoli, J.,Dickinson, S.,Beverland, M.,Farrelly, F. (2014). Measuring consumer-based brand authenticity In: Journal of Business Research, 67, 1090 - 1098
- Mccauley, B.,Kopanidis, F.,Farrelly, F. (2013). Towards an understanding of the motivations to play games on smartphones In: Proceedings of the16th Biennial World Marketing Congress Volume XVI, Melbourne, Australia, 17-20 July, 2013
- Farrelly, F.,Greyser, .,Rogan, M. (2012). Sponsorship linked internal marketing (SLIM): A strategic platform for employee engagement and business performance In: Journal of Sport Management, 26, 506 - 520
- Farrelly, F.,Beverland, M. (2011). Designers and marketers: toward a shared understanding In: Design Management Review, 22, 62 - 70
- Beverland, M.,Farrelly, F.,Quester, P. (2010). Authentic subcultural membership: Antecedents and consequences of authenticating acts and authoritative performances In: Psychology and Marketing, 27, 698 - 716
- Lindgreen, A.,Beverland, M.,Farrelly, F. (2010). From strategy to tactics: Building, implementing, and managing brand equity in business markets In: Industrial Marketing Management, 39, 1223 - 1225
- Surfing or Diving? An exploration of student's practices and attitudes towards technology for learning. Funded by: HERDSA Office of Learning and Teaching Grant from (2013 to 2014)
- Drinking-Related Lifestyles: Development and implementation of lifestyle segmentation model for problem drinking interventions through improved media and message targeting. Funded by: VicHealth Innovation Grant Pre-2014 from (2010 to 2013)
1 PhD Completions1 PhD Current Supervisions