The research interests of Dr Fernando include investigation of electric machines, drives and control systems in general. He is particularly interested in the design of rare-earth free electric machine structures in addition to investigation of new permanent magnet based concepts such as magnetic gearing. Dr Fernando has also experience with the design of electrical machines and drives for high-speed applications such as aero-engine embedded generators and control design for electric drives for high efficiency.
More information on Dr Fermando's past research
Lecturer in the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- PhD Manchester 2012
- BSc (Hons) Moratuwa 2008
Member of the IEEE and the following societies within this body:
- Vehicular Technology Society (VTS)
- Power Electronics Society (PELS)
- Industrial Electronics Society (IES)
- June 2013 – present, Lecturer : School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, RMIT University
- Dec 2011 – May 2013, Research Fellow at the Power Electronics, Machines and Control Group, University of Nottingham, UK.
- Sept 2008 – July 2011, Teaching Assistant at the Power Conversion Group, University of Manchester, UK.
- Nov 2007 – July 2008, Lecturer (temp) : Dept. of Electrical Engineering, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka.
Recipient of the “Overseas Research Students Award and Research Scholarship“ 2008. Awarded by the University of Manchester.
Recipient of the best Electrical Engineering graduand Award 2007. Awarded by the Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Moratuwa.
- Jayasinghe, S.,Meegahapola, L.,Fernando, N.,Jin, Z.,Guerrero, J. (2017). Review of Ship Microgrids: System Architectures, Storage Technologies and Power Quality Aspects In: Inventions, 1, 1 - 19
- Fernando, W.,Vakil, G.,Arumugam, P.,Amankwah, E.,Gerada, C.,Bozhko, S. (2016). Impact of soft magnetic material on design of high speed permanent magnet machines In: IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, , 1 - 9
- Thilakarathne, C.,Meegahapola, L.,Fernando, N. (2016). Improved P-type synchrophasor model based on IEEE C37.118.1 reference architecture In: Proceedings of the 2016 IEEE International Conference on Power System Technology (POWERCON 2016), Wollongong, Australia, 28 September.-1 October 2016
- Dey, P.,Datta, M.,Fernando, W. (2016). Comparisons of PI and PR current controllers based flux weakening to limit DC-link capacitor overvoltage in PMSG based wind energy system In: 2016 IEEE Innovative Smart Grid Technologies - Asia, Melbourne, Australia, 28 Nov - 1 Dec 2016
- Dey, P.,Datta, M.,Fernando, W.,Senjyu, T. (2016). A method to reduce DC-link overvoltage of PMSG based WECS during LVRT In: Region 10 Conference (TENCON), 2016 IEEE, Singapore, 22-25 November 2016
- Dey, P.,Datta, M.,Fernando, W.,Senjyu, T. (2016). Comparison of synchronous and stationary frame pi based flux weakening controls for DC-link overvoltage minimisation of WECS under grid fault In: Region 10 Conference (TENCON), 2016 IEEE, Singapore, 22-25 November 2016
- Fernando, W.,Gamage, K. (2015). A rare-earth free SHEV powertrain and its control In: Proceedings of the IEEE17th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, Geneva, Switzerland, 8-10 September 2015
- Fernando, W.,Kumarawadu, S. (2015). A multirate controller-observer scheme for fully automatic vehicle control In: International Journal of Automation and Logistics, 1, 117 - 139
- Degano, M.,Arumugam, P.,Fernando, W.,Yang, T.,Zhang, H.,Bartolo, J.,Bozhko, S.,Wheeler, P.,Gerada, C. (2014). An optimized bi-directional, wide speed range electric starter-generator for aerospace application In: Proceedings of the 7th IET International Conference on Power Electronics, Machines and Drives (PEMD 2014), Manchester, United Kingdom, 8 - 10 April 2014
- Fernando, W. (2014). Control of switched reluctance generators in continuous conduction mode In: Proceedings of the 6th Annual IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE 2014), Pittsburgh, United States, 14-18 September 2014
7 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions