- Sports Equipment: Design, Testing, Innovation, Solid Mechanics, Dynamics, Vibrations, Aerodynamics, Optimisation, Ergonomics, Safety, Injury Prevention, Energy Return and Transfer, Standards, Development of Novel Test Methods.
- Instrumentation: Mobile Technology, Sensors, Signal Processing, Visualisation Techniques, Performance Analysis, Biofeedback, Fractal Geometry of Signals.
- Visco-elasticity: Mathematical Modelling, Development of Test Methods with emphasis on Nonlinear Visco-elasticity, Identification of Time-dependent Phenomena, Classification of Nonlinear Visco-elastic Materials.
- Foam Mechanics: Nonlinear Visco-elasticity, Testing, Mathematical Modelling, Collapse Behaviour
- Tribology: Non-linear Friction, Sliding Friction, Rolling Friction, Sports Equipment Surfaces, Sports Floor Surfaces
- Bioengineering: Musculo-skeletal Biomechanics, 3D-Kinematics, Orthopaedic Implant Engineering, Spinal Implants.
The following contributions and developments are some of Professor Fuss’ innovative and new applied methods and products.
- Cruciate Ligament Mechanics: first time proof of the 4–bar linkage system of the knee joint (which so far existed only in theory without practical evidence) which had an impact on the success of isometric cruciate ligament surgery; discovery of the constraining efficiency of cruciate ligament fibres (“isokolyon” mapping)
- Popliteus Muscle Mechanics: first time proof that the popliteus muscle is a knee extensor (an no flexor as commonly assumed and stated in text books)
- Helical Axis Surface of Joints: development of method and software for measuring and visualising 4D helical axes and helical axis surfaces with application in joint kinematics and optimisation of ligament surgery
- ELIF Spine Surgery: development (together with R. Sabitzer) of ELIF (extra-foraminal lumbar interbody fusion for minimally invasive surgery of the spine) together with a spinal implant for intervertebral disc surgery
- Anti-Landmine Shoe: development (together with M. A. Tan) of the first electro-mechanical landmine shoe, particularly for humanitarian landmine clearance, which allows stepping on a mine without activating the trigger mechanism
- Instrumented Sports Equipment: development of the first fully instrumented climbing wall and the first instrumented bowling ball, leading to a) the definition of the key performance parameters in rock climbing and ten-pin bowling, and b) development the concept of 4D-force and -moment vector diagrams, which is an invaluable tool for optimisation of training and quantification of performance
- Quality of Cricket Balls: first time comparison of different cricket balls in terms of construction, hardness, impact force and consistency of manufacturing, proving that inconsistently produced balls result in unequal chances for both teams
- Foam Collapse Rate: first time analysis of the collapse rate of closed-cell foams, a foam performance criterion which has been overlooked so far, and which reveals that the “collapse stress”, an important design parameter, has been hitherto determined wrongly.
- Directional Energy Transfer Theory: development of the concept of directional energy transfer in sports shoes, for improvement of the athletes’ performance.
As Innovation Professor of Sports Engineering and Technology, and team leader of the SportzEdge Program, Professor F. K. Fuss is responsible for providing leadership and management of sports engineering research programs and teaching.
- PGDipBiomech, Strathclyde University, 1993
- PhD, Vienna University, 1992
- MD, Vienna University, 1987
- 2009 – present, Innovation Professor and team leader SportzEdge Program, School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, RMIT University
- 2008-2009, Associate Professor, Coordinator Sports Engineering, School of Mechanical Engineering, University of Adelaide, Australia
- 2005-2008, Associate Professor, Division of Bioengineering, School of Biomedical and Chemical Engineering, Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore
- 2003-2007, Deputy Director of the BioMedical Engineering Research Centre (BMERC) NTU, Singapore
- 2001-2005, Division of Engineering Mechanics, School of Mechanical and Production/Aerospace Engineering (MPE/MAE), Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore
- 1993-2001, Associate Professor, Division of Biomechanics, Medical Theoretical Institutes, Vienna University, Austria
- 1987-1992, Lecturer, Medical Theoretical Institutes, Vienna University, Austria
Professional academic service
Sports Technology (Vol. 1+2: www.sportstechjournal.com; Vol. 3 onwards: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/rtec)
Journal of Anatomy (receiving editor 2002-2006)
ISEA, International Sports Engineering Association
Reviewer: Journals, Publishers, Proposals, Organisations
- BIOMED2-Evaluator (Area 2 - Biomedical Engineering), European Commission, Brussels
- Swiss National Fund
- Research Foundation of the Italian Ministry of Universities and Research
- NMRC (National Medical Research Council), Singapore
- Journal of Anatomy
- Clinical Anatomy
- The Anatomical Record
- Acta Anatomica / Cells Tissues Organs
- Equine Veterinary Journal.
- Clinical Biomechanics.
- IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering
- IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics
- International Journal of Sports Medicine
- Journal of Mechanics in Medicine and Biology
- Sports Engineering
- Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part H, Journal of Engineering in Medicine
- Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology
- IBEC2004 Proceedings (Proceedings of the 1st International BioEngineering Conference 2004)
- The Engineering of Sport 8, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 2010
- The Impact of Technology on Sport III, RMIT Press, Melbourne, 2009
- The Engineering of Sport 7, Springer, Paris, 2008
- The Engineering of Sport 6, Springer, Munich, 2006
Organiser and Co-Organiser
- APCST2009 / 4th Asia-Pacific Congress on Sports Technology, Hawaii, September 09; Co-Chair and Co-organiser
- APCST2007 / 3rd Asia-Pacific Congress on Sports Technology, Singapore, 23-26/09/07; Chair and Organiser
- IBEC2004 / 1st International BioEngineering Conference, Singapore, 8-10/09/04; Member of the Organising Committee / Technical Program, Editor-in-Chief of the Proceedings.
- Fuss, F. (2015). The loss tangent of visco-elastic models In: Nonlinear Approaches in Engineering Applications, Springer, Switzerland
- Tan, A.,Fuss, F.,Weizman, Y.,Troynikov, O. (2015). Development of a smart insole for medical and sports purposes In: Procedia Engineering - Proceedings of the 7th Asia-Pacific Congress on Sports Technology (APCST 2015: Volume 112), Barcelona, Spain, 23-25 September 2015
- Wardiningsih, W.,Troynikov, O.,Fuss, F. (2015). Energy absorption and performance relevant to thermal wear comfort evaluation of existing impact protective pad and materials intended for impact protective pad In: Procedia Engineering - Proceedings of the 7th Asia-Pacific Congress on Sports Technology (APCST 2015: Volume 112), Barcelona, Spain, 23-25 September 2015
- Tan, A.,Fuss, F.,Weizman, Y.,Azari, M. (2015). Centre of pressure detection and analysis with a high-resolution and low-cost smart insole In: Procedia Engineering, London, United Kingdom, 23-25 September 2015
- Usma Alvarez, C.,Fuss, F.,Subic, A. (2014). User-centred design customisation of rugby wheelchairs based on the Taguchi method In: Journal of Mechanical Design, 136, 1 - 13
- Fard, M.,Subic, A.,Lo, L.,Fuss, F. (2014). Characterisation of vehicle seat rattle noise from seat structural dynamics In: International Journal of Vehicle Noise and Vibration, 10, 226 - 240
- Salim, F.,Belbasis, A.,Prohasky, D.,Houshyar, S.,Fuss, F. (2014). Design and evaluation of smart wearable undergarment for monitoring physiological extremes in firefighting In: Proceedings of the 2014 ACM International Symposium on Wearable Computers: Adjunct Program, Seattle, United States, 13-17 September 2014
- Fuss, F.,Smith, R. (2014). Accuracy Performance Parameters of Seam Bowling, Measured with a Smart Cricket Ball In: Procedia Engineering, 72, 435 - 440
- Fuss, F. (2014). Investigation and assessment of the edge grip of snowboards with laser vibrometry - A proposal of a standardised method In: Procedia Engineering, 72, 417 - 422
- Fuss, F.,Ferdinands, R.,Doljin, B.,Beach, A. (2014). Development of a smart cricket ball and advanced performance analysis of spin bowling In: Proceedings of the 1st International Conference in Sports Science and Technology: (ICSST 2014), Singapore, 11-12 December 2014
- Insoles for Diabetic Patients - based on Sensor Array System. Funded by: Wound Management Innovation CRC from (2014 to 2017)
- Venous Leg Ulcer Compression - based on Sensor Array System. Funded by: Wound Management Innovation CRC from (2014 to 2017)
- Development of a smart insole for diabetic patients. Funded by: Wound Management Innovation CRC from (2014 to 2017)
- Exercise tracking using motion sensors. Funded by: Enterprise Connnect - Researchers in Business 2014 from (2014 to 2014)
6 PhD Completions8 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions