Research Interests and Projects
John’s research fields include equity, trusts, tax, tax policy, commercial fraud and insolvency. He has written two sole-authored monographs and over 60 chapters in books and refereed journal articles and been awarded a number of research grants including the following two ARC grants:
- 2005-2006 ARC Linkage Grant (with S Barkoczy of Monash University) involving a comparative examination of venture capital tax expenditure programs in 13 countries.
- 2001-2003 ARC Strategic Partnerships with Industry – Research & Training Grant (with B Tran-Nam of UNSW) involved an assessment of the effects of tax reform on small business taxation. Research findings have now been considered by the Australian Treasury and a Senate Inquiry.
John is currently responsible for teaching Equity and Trusts within RMIT’s Juris Doctor program, and previously taught a wide range of law related topics at RMIT and Monash Universities.
- Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Victoria
- Doctor of Philosophy (Monash University) - 1997
- Bachelor of Civil Law (University of Oxford) - 1982
- Rhodes Scholar for Victoria – 1979
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours) (University of Melbourne) – 1978
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) (University of Melbourne) – 1976
- Professor of Law
- Barrister, Victorian Bar
Affiliations / Professional Memberships
- Taxation Institute of Australia
- Fellow – since 2004
- Victorian Education Committee member – 2006 to 2007
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Taxation and Revenue Committee, 2005-.
- State Taxes Committee, 2005-.
- Glover, J. (2016). Property rights, restitution and fraud: disciplining wrongdoing in capitalist systems In: Facta Universitatis, 14, 143 - 158
- Glover, J. (2014). Taxing trust income by "entitlement": The end of the road? In: Australian Tax Review, 43, 101 - 117
- Glover, J. (2013). The trust in common law systems: functions and philosophical correspondences In: Facta Universitatis: Series Philosophy, Sociology and Psychology, 12, 145 - 159
- Glover, J. (2012). Public officials, public trusts and fiduciary obligations In: Fiduciary Duty and the Atmospheric Trust, Ashgate Publishing, United Kingdon
- Glover, J. (2012). Nominal or 'dummy' settlors: Is it time to reform the law of trusts? In: Journal of Equity, 6, 19 - 43
- Glover, J. (2012). A Serbian Law of Trusts? In: Development of the Serbian Legal System and its Alignment with the Law of the European Union, Dosije Studio, Belgrade, Serbia
- Glover, J. (2011). Wills, water law and the family farm In: Law Institute Jounal, 85, 40 - 43
- Glover, J. (2011). Prevara, Insolventnost I Gradanski Delikt: Pravo Vlasnistva U Sistemima Obicajnog Prava, Dosije Studio and Mali Nemo, Belgrade, Serbia and Pancevo, Serbia
- Glover, J. (2010). Are the lights changing for discretionary trusts? In: Law Institute Journal, 84, 34 - 37
- Glover, J. (2009). Dissatisfied beneficiaries: Challenging discretionary trustees In: Law Institute Journal, 83, 54 - 57
5 PhD Current Supervisions
- Trust Taskforce: Taxpayer response to Trust Tax System (Work Order No: 14.155.20). Funded by: Australian Taxation Office Contract from (2016 to 2017)