Professor Robin Goodman is the Interim Dean, School of Global, Urban and Social Studies.
Robin assumed the position of Acting Dean of the School of Global, Urban and Social Studies at the start of 2017. Prior to this she led the team of Sustainability and Urban Planning academics as the Deputy Dean since 2013. Robin was the Director of RMIT's Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute (AHURI) for four years and the inaugural Director of the Centre for Urban Research. She was also Deputy Dean, Research and Innovation in 2012.
Robin is an urban planner with broad interests in many aspects of planning, housing and public policy. Robin's research interests centre on various aspects of urban planning and public policy. Her current research projects focus on: the nexus between urban research and policy making; the state of the art of planning in Australia and New Zealand; climate change and planning decisions; and, conflict and local government planners. Other recent projects and publications have focused on: the forms of private collective ownership of community assets in master planned estates; the planning for activity and retail centres in growth areas on the urban fringe; and, a comparison of retail form in the various Australian capital cities.
Robin has taught undergraduate and postgraduate courses on: planning history; strategic planning; comparative international planning systems; transport planning and retail planning. She has led study tours to China, Vietnam and Germany and supervised PhD students on topics related to planning and governance; housing; transport policy and provision; and, environmental performance at suburban scale.
Robin is co-author of the book Planning Melbourne – Lessons for a Sustainable City, along with Michael Buxton and Susie Moloney, which was published by CSIRO in 2016.
- Doctor of Philosophy, University of Melbourne, 2002
- Master of Urban Planning, University of Melbourne, 1994
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours), majoring in Politics, La Trobe University, 1982
- Kenna, T.,Goodman, R.,Stevenson, D. (2017). (In Press) Privatising the suburbs: examining the trends and implications of 20 years of private residential development in Sydney, Australia In: Geographical Research, , 1 - 20
- Ruming, K.,Goodman, R. (2016). Planning system reform and economic development: unpacking policy rhetoric and trajectories in Victoria and New South Wales In: Built Environment, 42, 72 - 89
- Buxton, M.,Goodman, R.,Moloney, S. (2016). Planning Melbourne: Lessons for a Sustainable City, CSIRO Publishing, Melbourne, Australia
- Maginn, P.,Goodman, R.,Gurran, N.,Ruming, K. (2016). What's so strategic about Australian metropolitan plans and planning reform? The case of Melbourne, Perth and Sydney In: Situated Practices of Strategic Planning: An International Perspective, Routledge, United Kingdom
- Martin, S.,Goodman, R. (2016). Living on the edge: New forms of poverty on the urban fringe In: Social Work and the City: Urban Themes in 21st-Century Social Work, Palgrave MacMillan, United Kingdom
- Gurran, N.,Phibbs, P.,Yates, J.,Gilbert, C.,Whitehead, C.,Norris, M.,McClure, K.,Berry, M.,Maginn, P.,Goodman, R. (2015). Housing markets, economic productivity, and risk: international evidence and policy implications for Australia - Volume 1: Outcomes of an investigative panel In: Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute (AHURI), 1, 1 - 101
- Gurran, N.,Phibbs, P.,Yates, J.,Gilbert, C.,Whitehead, C.,Norris, M.,McClure, K.,Berry, M.,Maginn, P.,Goodman, R.,Rowley, S. (2015). Housing markets, economic productivity, and risk: international evidence and policy implications for Australia - Volume 2: Supplementary papers In: Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute (AHURI), , 1 - 116
- Buxton, M.,Goodman, R. (2014). The impact of planning 'reform' on the Victorian land use planning system In: Australian Planner, 51, 132 - 140
- Ruming, K.,Gurran, N.,Maginn, P.,Goodman, R. (2014). A national planning agenda? Unpacking the influence of federal urban policy on state planning reform In: Australian Planner, 51, 108 - 121
- Goodman, R.,Maginn, P.,Ruming, K. (2013). Simpler, faster, cheaper - Australia's urban aspirations and the planning reform agenda In: Proceedings of State of Australian Cities Conference 2013: Refereed Proceedings, Sydney, Australia, 26-29 November 2013
- Postgraduate Scholarship top-up (Leanne Hodyl). Funded by: AHURI National Housing Research Program Grants 2016 from (2016 to 2019)
- Housing markets, economic productivity, and risk: International evidence and policy implications for Australia -- Administered by University of Sydney. Funded by: AHURI National Housing Research Program Grants 2014 from (2014 to 2015)
- Support the Implementation of the Policy Development Research Model. Funded by: AHURI Research Grants (generic AHURI fund scheme - CAT3) from (2014 to 2014)
- Evaluating housing and health outcomes at Lakewood (PRO/444). Funded by: AHURI National Housing Research Program Grants pre-2014 from (2012 to 2015)
- Marginal rental housing and marginal renters: a typology for policy. Funded by: AHURI National Housing Research Program Grants pre-2014 from (2011 to 2013)