David has been RMIT's MBA Director since March 2016. He teaches Corporate Governance and Regulation and Executive Consulting and has research interests across the fields of business ethics, organisational governance, alternative dispute resolution, economic torts and maritime law.
David joined RMIT after a successful international business career in which he was Head of Corporate Affairs for three large listed corporations and ran transport businesses, as well as working in government relations and as a corporate lawyer. David also has experience as a Sustainability Director, and consults in this area.
Prior to his current role David was Program Director for RMIT's Juris Doctor (postgraduate law) program.
He is also a practising Barrister, specialising in commercial law, international business, mediation and arbitration. David is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators.
David’s current research interests concern corporate governance, business ethics, the economic torts, alternative dispute resolution and maritime law.
- Corporate Governance and Regulation
- Executive Consulting
- International Business
- Law of Torts
- MBA Director
- Member, MBA EPAS (EFMD Programme Accreditation System) Steering Committee
- Master of Business (Logistics Management), RMIT University, 1997
- Graduate Diploma in Commercial Law, Monash University, 1989
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Queensland, 1985
- Graduate Certificate in International Arbitration, National University of Singapore, 2009
- Currently completing PhD studies, RMIT University Graduate School of Business and Law
- Vice President Corporate Affairs, Neptune Orient Lines Ltd, Singapore (2005-10)
- Executive Vice President Corporate Affairs, BlueScope Steel Ltd, Melbourne (2000-05)
- General Manager External Affairs and Investor Relations, OneSteel Ltd, Sydney (1999-2000)
- Manager Government Relations, BHP Ltd, Melbourne (1997-99)
- Principal Solicitor, BHP Steel, Melbourne (1994-97)
- General Manager New Zealand, ANL Ltd (Australian National Line), Auckland (1992-94)
- Legal Manager, ANL Ltd, Melbourne (1989-91)
- Corporate Lawyer, BHP Ltd, Melbourne (1985-89)
- Barrister, Victorian Bar (Young’s List), from 2010
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, from 2009
- Fellow, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators, from 2009
- Nationally Accredited Mediator, Australia, from 2010
- Member, Magistrates Court of Victoria Single List of External Mediators, from 2011
- Admitted to practise as a Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Victoria, 1988
- Douglas, K.,Goodwin, D. (2015). Artistry in mediator practice: Reflections from mediators In: Australasian Dispute Resolution Journal, 26, 137 - 145
- Goodwin, D. (2015). Exempting environmental protection boycotts from competition laws: Should purpose or public benefit be the test? In: Australian Journal of Competition and Consumer Law, 23, 260 - 282