Dr Grant’s research is focused on geodesy, cadastral systems and international boundaries.
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), University of New South Wales, 1990
- Diploma in Land Surveying, Otago University, 1977
- Bachelor of Science with Honours (Physics), University of Canterbury, 1975
Member of professional associations
- Member of the New Zealand Institute of Surveyors
- Member of the Institution of Surveyors, Victoria
- New Zealand Representative for Commission 7, Cadastre and Land Management, International Federation of Surveyors (FIG)
- 2004-2014: Surveyor-General of New Zealand
- 2004-2014: Chair New Zealand Geographic Board
- 2004-2014: Member New Zealand Cadastral Surveyors Licensing Board
- 2012: Specialist Advisor - Surveying, Performance Based Research Fund 2012 Quality Evaluation, New Zealand Tertiary Education Commission
- 2010-2012: Chair Intergovernmental Committee on Surveying & Mapping
- 1991-2010: New Zealand National Correspondent to the International Association of Geodesy representing New Zealand.
- 2010: Appointed by NZ Ministry of Foreign Affairs & Trade to review the design of an NZAid project in support of the Vietnam Land Administration Project (VLAP).
- 1996-2004: Deputy Surveyor-General of New Zealand
- 1995-2004: Member of the Continental Shelf Technical Experts Working Group providing advice and quality assurance on the New Zealand / Australia boundary
- 2002: Appointed to provide quality assurance to the United Nations Eritrea Ethiopia Boundary Commission (EEBC)
- 1991-1993: Appointed Chief Geodesist of the United Nations Iraq - Kuwait Boundary Demarcation Commission (UNIKBDC).
Achievements and prizes
- 2007: Elected as a Fellow of the New Zealand Institute of Surveyors
- 2003: New Zealand Institute of Surveyors Award of Merit (jointly with 2 others) for the United Nations Ethiopia – Eritrea Boundary Commission project
- 2003: New Zealand Institute of Surveyors MacRae Award for services to the NZIS Council
- Ngo, M.,Mitchell, D.,Grant, D.,Chrisman, N. (2016). Accessibility to land administration by grassroots stakeholders in Vietnam: Case study of Vinh Long province In: Proceedings of the 3rd FIG Young Surveyors Network Conference, Christchurch, New Zealand, 2-6 May 2016
- Mitchell, D.,Myers, M.,Grant, D. (2015). Land valuation: a key tool for disaster risk management In: Land Tenure Journal, 1, 36 - 69
- Grant, D.,Dyer, M.,Haanen, A. (2014). A New Zealand Strategy for Cadastre 2034 In: Proceedings of FIG Congress2014: Engaging the Challenges-Enhancing the Relevance, Kuala Lumpur, Malayasia, 16-21 June 2014
- Grant, D.,Crook, C.,Donnelly, N. (2014). Managing the dynamics of the New Zealand spatial cadastre In: Proceedings of Research@Locate'14, Canberra, Australia, 7-9 April 2014
- Grant, D. (2013). The cadastral system: Realising Major Palmer's vision In: Survey Marks, New Zealand Institute of Surveyors, Dunedin, New Zealand
Geomatic Engineering, Physical Geography and Environmental Geoscience, Policy and Administration
Note: Supervision projects since 2004
3 PhD Current Supervisions
Geodesy, Cadastral Survey