Emily hails from Walsall, UK and is a lecturer in Education Studies at RMIT’s School of Education.
Her interests within both research and teaching are interdisciplinary and include sociology, cultural studies and education. She is particularly interested in questions of gender and sexuality and with how understandings these identity categories are lived by individuals and experienced within social institutions. Her key research interests therefore lie with questions related to gender, social justice, student and teacher identity work within educational policy and practice and with wider social justice issues within educational discourse and practice. She is also concerned with popular culture, public pedagogies and audience studies, particularly with online ’fandom’ and with media and popular culture as pedagogical tools.
- Course coordinator Imagining Social Futures, Grad. Dip. (Secondary)
- Course coordinator Education Theory and Practice, B.Ed (Primary)
- Course coordinator Understanding Diversity and Difference, B.Ed (Primary)
- PhD Educational Research, 2010, Lancaster University, UK.
- MA Social Research Methods (Cultural Studies & Sociology), 2005, University of Birmingham, UK.
- BA (Hons.) Sociology, 2002, University of Birmingham, UK.
- Black, R.,Gray, E.,Leahy, D. (2016). Zombies, monsters and education: The creation of the young citizen In: Generation Z: Zombies, Popular Culture and Educating Youth, Springer, The Netherlands
- Gray, E.,Harris, A.,Jones, T. (2016). Australian LGBTQ teachers, exclusionary spaces and points of interruption In: Sexualities, 19, 286 - 303
- Gray, E.,Harris, A. (2015). Queer superheroes: the impossibility of difference, a neoliberal promise of equal (teacher) love In: Continuum: Journal of Media and Cultural Studies, 29, 97 - 108
- Gray, E. (2015). Writing `lesbian, gay-type lovers': Buffy, postmodern gothic and interruptions to the lesbian clich� In: New Directions in 21st-Century Gothic, Routledge, New York, United States
- Leahy, D.,Gray, E.,Cutter-Mackenzie, A.,Eames, C. (2015). Schooling food in contemporary times: taking stock In: Australian Journal of Environmental Education, 31, 1 - 11
- Gray, E. (2015). There, here and back again: The search for middle earth in Birmingham In: Fan Phenomena: The Lord of the Rings, Intellect, United Kingdom
- Jones, T.,Gray, E.,Harris, A. (2014). GLBTIQ teachers in Australian education policy: Protections, suspicions, and restrictions In: Sex Education: sexuality, society and learning, 14, 338 - 353
- Gray, E. (2014). In/between places: Connection and isolation in the bridge In: Aeternum: The Journal of Contemporary Gothic Studies, 1, 73 - 85
- Gray, E.,Harris, A. (2014). Introduction: Marked presence/unremarkable absence: Queer teachers, 'identity' and performativity In: Queer Teachers, Identity and Performativity, Palgrave Macmillan, London, United Kingdom
- Gray, E. (2014). LGBTQ teachers and the location of difference in English schools In: Queer Teachers, Identity and Performativity, Palgrave Macmillan, London, United Kingdom
- Developing arts-based interventions into everyday sexism in the academy . Funded by: Australian Association for Research in Education Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2016)
1 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions2 PhD Completions