Dr Lauren Gurrieri is a marketing academic whose research focuses on the socio-cultural aspects of consumption and issues at the nexus of marketing and society. She is a qualitative researcher with particular expertise in ethnography, netnography and visual methods.
Stocky Bodies image library
Stocky Bodies is a library of stock photos available as a free resource to the media, educators, health professionals, the general public and others. The image library was created in response to the stigmatised representations of overweight and obese people in the media and popular culture. It offers positive and diverse representations to break down the typecasting that heightens weight stigma.
Consumer culture theory, gender studies, macromarketing, transformative consumer research, social marketing.
- Gender, consumption and marketing
- Social media and body idealisation
- Ethical representations in advertising and marketing
- Inequalities in consumer culture
- Consumer activism and resistance
- Consumer well being and social change
- PhD, University of Melbourne
- GradCertLearn&Teach (Higher Education), Swinburne University of Technology
- BCom (Hons), University of Melbourne
- BA, University of Melbourne
- Gurrieri, L.,Grave-Govan, J.,Cherrier, H. (2016). Controversial advertising: Transgressing the taboo of gender-based violence In: European Journal of Marketing, 50, 1448 - 1469
- Gordon, R.,Gurrieri, L.,Chapman, M. (2015). Broadening an understanding of problem gambling: The lifestyle consumption community of sports betting In: Journal of Business Research, 68, 2164 - 2172
- Previte, J.,Gurrieri, L. (2015). Who is the biggest loser? Fat news coverage as a barrier to healthy lifestyle promotion In: Health Marketing Quarterly, 32, 330 - 349
- Cherrier, H.,Gurrieri, L. (2014). Framing social marketing as a system of interaction: A neo-institutional approach to alcohol abstinence In: Journal of Marketing Management, 30, 607 - 633
- Gordon, R.,Gurrieri, L. (2014). Towards a reflexive turn: Social marketing assemblages In: Journal of Social Marketing, 4, 261 - 278
- Gurrieri, L.,Grave-Govan, J.,Previte, J. (2014). Neoliberalism and managed health: Fallacies, fa�ades and inadvertent effects In: Journal of Macromarketing, 34, 532 - 538
- Gurrieri, L.,Cherrier, H. (2013). Queering beauty: Fatshionistas in the fatosphere In: Qualitative Market Research, 16, 276 - 295
- Cherrier, H.,Gurrieri, L. (2013). Anti-consumption choices performed in a drinking culture: normative struggles and repairs In: Journal of Macromarketing, 33, 232 - 244
- Gurrieri, L. (2013). Stocky bodies: Fat visual activism In: Fat Studies: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Body Weight and Society, 2, 197 - 209
- Gurrieri, L.,Previte, J.,Grave-Govan, J. (2013). Women's bodies as sites of control: Inadvertent stigma and exclusion in social marketing In: Journal of Macromarketing, 33, 128 - 143