Dr Richard Harding is the Print Imaging Practice Studio Coordinator and Senior Lecturer within the Bachelor of Arts (Fine Art) and the Bachelor of Arts (Fine Art) (Honours) in the School of Art.
Richard Harding is an artist and educator with over 25 years experience. He specialises in combining industry and academic modes of teaching to deliver a visual research model that is adaptable and ongoing. His focus is the practice and theories of reproducible technologies through the mediums of photography and printmaking.
Harding has exhibited in Australia and internationally, with solo exhibitions and group exhibitions. His work is held in public and private collections in Australia and overseas. He exhibits in various modes, from public and commercial galleries, to artist run spaces and community-based environments.
Harding is part of The News Network Project, a Trans-Tasman network of artists that contributes to contemporary debate around current events and conflicts by exploring their representation through contemporary fine art practices.
Harding has worked in industry based print workshops, like the Australian Print Workshop (AWP) as a studio supervisor, a custom printer and access artist. He has been involved with the national print organisation; the Print Council of Australia Inc. (PCA) as a committee member, Vice President and is currently on the executive committee as the PCA Secretary.
Within a studio based art practice Richard Harding utilises printmedia's intrinsic qualities of sameness and difference to discuss sexual orientation, masculinity and codes of representation. His research is informed by architectural and queer theory utilizing analogue and digital mediums as vehicles for current events and conceptual concerns. He produces two-dimensional, installation, video and object based works.
2016: Associate Supervisor, Mohsen Meysami – Art against Violence: exploring contributions of contemporary arts to opposing violence.
2016: Associate Supervisor, Pia Siew Yee Johnson – An autoethnographic photography study: The Eurasian identity.
2016: Associate Supervisor, Joel Gailer - The copy as a paradox of change: Copying and mimicry in social interaction.
2016: Associate Supervisor, Tyler Payne - The Body + The Lens: Shrink, Wax, Purge, Bleach
2012: Senior Supervisor, Jon Riethmuller - Constructing Masculinity: How Perceived Camp and Homoeroticism in Italian Renaissance Painting Informs my Contemporary Images of Masculinity
The practice, theories and philosophies of print imaging with an emphasis on photography and printmaking, analogue & digital reproductive technologies, gender, identity, cryptology and archives.
City Campus – Appointment via email
Dip Electronic Design and Interactive Media, 2003
MA Fine Art, 1995
Grad Dipl Art Education, 1982
BA Fine Art, 1979
2014: Patterns of Behaviour, School of Art Gallery, RMIT University, Melbourne Australia
2012: this is not a drill, First Site Gallery, RMIT University, Melbourne Australia
2009: Scope3II, IMPACT6 UWE, Bristol England UK
2007: Scope3, Red Gallery, North Fitzroy, Victoria Australia
2005: Objects are closer than they appear, Westspace inc, Melbourne Australia
1999: Beat, Dianne Tanzer Gallery, Fitzroy, Victoria Australia
1997: Rehabbed, Dianne Tanzer Gallery, Fitzroy, Victoria Australia
1995: The Lounge Room, Linden Gallery, St Kilda, Victoria Australia
1993: Hierophants and Homos, Delbridge Gallery, Fitzroy Victoria Australia
1989: Parables, Realities Gallery, Toorak Victoria Australia
1987: Etchings, Prism Gallery, Fremantle, Western Australia
Selected Group Exhibitions
2016: Out of the Matrix - Artist Curator, RMIT Gallery, RMIT University Melbourne, Australia
2016: Eventide, MPRG, Mornington, Victoria Australia
2015: ON AIR-The News Network, Dunedin School of Art Gallery, Otago New Zealand
2014: SPEAK OUT, Counihan Gallery in Brunswick, Melbourne Australia
2013: 87th Annual International Print Competion, Print Center, Philidelphia USA
2013: Glitters Anonymous, PSSR Gallery, RMIT University, Melbourne Australia
2012: Artist As Curator, PSSR Gallery, RMIT University, Melbourne Australia
2012: It's a sign, Common Space, Curated by Prof. Kathryn Reeves, West Gallery, Rueff Galleries, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN USA
2012: Everybody Knows, Transparency Exchange Folio, Curated by Ventis & Holmes, Exhibition Space, University of Colorado Boulder USA
2012: Contemporary Australian Drawing 2, University of the Arts, London England UK
2012: ART AND STORIES, Curated by Helenmary Burnside, Joel Gallery. Louis Joel Arts and Community Centre, Altona Victoria Australia.
2011: FOLD, RMIT School of Art Gallery, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia
2011: Inside out/Outside in, Dolls House @ Hand Held Gallery, Melbourne, Australia
2011: FREAK of NATURE, Gippsland Centre for Art & Design, Monash University, Gippsland Campus, Churchhill, Australia
2010: Secret Files from the Working Men's College, Midsumma Festival, PSSR Gallery, School of Art, RMIT University, Australia
2009: Body – Curator, PSSR Gallery, School of Art, RMIT University
2009: Drawing the World, World of Drawing, Museum of Art, Seoul National University, Korea
2008: Secondary Sources, SOAG, School of Art, RMIT University, Melbourne
2007: Living Elvis, RMIT Gallery, RMIT University, Melbourne, Victoria
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, NSW Australia
- Australian Print Workshop inc., Victoria Australia
- Ballarat Art Gallery, Victoria Australia
- Comcare Australia inc. Victoria Australia
- Curtin University, Perth Western Australia
- Duroloid Foundation, Victoria Australia
- National Gallery Australia, Canberra Australia
- National Art School, NSW Australia
- Mornington Peninsula Art Gallery, Victoria Australia
- OCAD University Ontario Canada
- Tyler School of Art Philadelphia, USA
- Proyecto'ace Print Collection, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Richard F. Brush Art Gallery, St Lawerence University, Canton, NY
- RMIT University School of Art, Melbourne Australia
- University of West Sydney – Macarthur
- University of Southern Queensland - Toowoomba
- University of Colorado, Special Collections, Boulder Colorado
- Zayed University, Dubai, UAE
- Harding, R. (2016). OUT OF THE MATRIX (Curator of Exhibition) In: OUT OF THE MATRIX Melbourne, Australia
- Harding, R. (2016). Queer In: OUT OF THE MATRIX Melbourne, Australia
- Harding, R. (2014). WOOF: Champion In: The Moreland Summer Show: Speak Out Brunswick, Australia
- Harding, R. (2013). Print as other: the future is queer In: Intersections and Counterpoints: Proceedings of the IMPACT7 International Multi-disciplinary Printmaking Conference, Clayton, Australia, 27-30 September 2011
- Harding, R. (2013). this is not a drill In: this is not a drill Philadeliphia/USA
- Harding, R. (2012). �ber Freaks In: Freaks of Nature Churchill Gippsland/ Australia
- Harding, R. (2012). Who are you really fooling? In: Transparency Boulder Colorado, United States
- Harding, R. (2012). It's a sign! In: Common Space West Lafayette, IN / United States
- Harding, R. (2011). Measure twice cut once In: FOLD School of Art Gallery/ RMIT University
- Harding, R. (2010). Installations & Experimental Printmaking - Book Review In: IMPRINT Autumn 2010 Volume 45 Number 1 Melbourne, Australia
2 PhD Current Supervisions3 Masters by Research Completions