- Smart Grid Technologies and Applications
- Power Electronic Converter Modulation and Control
- Converter Current Regulation
- Active Power Electronic Filters
- Resonant Converters
- Current Source Converters
- Multilevel Converters
- Digital Control of Power Electronic Converters
- 25 years experience developing power electronic converters for specialist industrial applications.
- Established and managed Power Electronics Group at Monash University for 10 years to provide industry development and consulting services for power electronic converters in traction, power quality measurement, PV inverters
- Provide specialist consulting to solve industry problems with power electronic conversion systems
- Expert witness for electrical and electronic technology applications
Particular Industry Development Projects
- Development of a range of leading edge DSP based power electronic inverters and battery chargers for railway traction applications, ranging in power from 500W up to 30 KVA.
- Design of an intrinsically safe 12V power supply for mining applications.
- Development of a range of high accuracy CT and PT test systems, for use in the electrical power industry.
- Development of a range of DSP based inverter controller cards to control voltage source inverters over a power range of 5 kVA to 250 kVA. These controllers have been used both by other universities and in commercial inverter systems.
- “Optimum Control of Modular Multilevel Power Electronic Converters for Electrical Distribution Networks”, ARC Discovery Grant, 2006-2008, $325,000 total (sole Chief Investigator)
- “Improving Power Quality in Electrical Distribution Systems using Multiple and/or Distributed Power Electronics Converters”, ARC Large Grant 2000-2002, $224,000 total (co-Chief Investigator)
- “Development Design and Experimental Demonstration of a Power Electronic Fault Current Limiter for Electricity Distribution System - Stage 3”, Final Stage of ARC Linkage Grant, 1996-2002, $428,000 total funding over the project life, Industry Partner Funding $110,000 in 2002 for final stage.
- M.Eng. Sci
- PhD, Monash University
- 1975-1980: SECV, Power Systems Control Engineer
- 1981 – 1983: Lecturer, Electrical Engineering Dept, University of Melbourne
- 1984 – 2010: Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor, Dept of Electrical and Computer Systems Engineering, Monash University
- 2010 – present: Innovation Professor – Smart Energy, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, RMIT University
- Cpeng, IEAust
- Chartered Professional Engineer, Institution of Engineers Australia,
- Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers
- Member-at-large, Adcom, IEEE Power Electronics Society
- Teixeira, C.,McGrath, B.,Holmes, G. (2016). A state machine decoder for phase disposition pulsewidth modulation of three-phase coupled-inductor semi-bridge converters In: IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 52, 2378 - 2386
- Kabiridehkordi, R.,Holmes, G.,McGrath, B. (2016). Control of active and reactive power ripple to mitigate unbalanced grid voltages In: IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 52, 1660 - 1668
- Kabiridehkordi, R.,Holmes, G.,McGrath, B.,Meegahapola, L. (2015). LV grid voltage regulation using transformer electronic tap changing, with PV inverter reactive power injection In: IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, 3, 1182 - 1192
- Mohzani, Z.,McGrath, B.,Holmes, G. (2015). A generalized natural balance model and balance booster filter design for three-level neutral-point-clamped converters In: IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 51, 4605 - 4613
- McGrath, B.,Holmes, G.,Kong, W. (2014). A decentralized controller architecture for a cascaded H-bridge multilevel converter In: IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 61, 1169 - 1178
- du Toit Mouton, H.,McGrath, B.,Holmes, G.,Wilkinson, R. (2014). One dimensional spectral analysis of complex PWM waveforms using superposition In: IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 29, 6762 - 6778
- Davoodnezhad, R.,Holmes, G.,McGrath, B. (2014). A novel three-level hysteresis current regulation strategy for three-phase three-level inverters In: IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 29, 6100 - 6109
- Rodriguez, J.,Holmes, D.,McGrath, B.,Wilkinson, R. (2014). Maximum energy harvesting from medium voltage electric-field energy using power line insulators In: Proceedings of the Australasian Universities Power Engineering Conference (AUPEC 2014), Perth, Australia, 28 September - 1 October 2014
- Kabiridehkordi, R.,Holmes, D.,McGrath, B. (2014). Voltage regulation of LV feeders with high penetration of PV distributed generation using electronic tap changing transformers In: Proceedings of the Australian Universities Power Engineering Conference (AUPEC 2014), Perth, Australia, 28 September - 1 October 2014
- Awaja, N.,Holmes, G.,Wilkinson, R. (2014). Integrating high penetration renewable generation into an electrical grid network In: Proceedings of the Australasian Universities Power Engineering Conference (AUPEC 2014), Perth, Australia, 28 September - 1 October 2014
- Regulation of the Cell Bus Voltages of Large Scale Modular Multilevel Converters: Advanced Energy Converters for Future Electricity Grids. Funded by: ARC Discovery Grant 2014 from (2014 to 2016)
- Solid State Regulation of a Distribution Transformer to Rapidly Control Voltages of Low Voltage Distribution Feeders. Funded by: ARC Linkage Grant 2013 from (2014 to 2016)
- Practice-based Systematized Nomenclature (SNOMED) concept learning for drug-disease precaution early detection and refinement. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project Grant 2010 Round 2 from (2011 to 2015)
Note: Supervision projects since 2004
7 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions7 PhD Current Supervisions
Electrical energy conversion, Smart energy, Renewable energy, Power electronics, Electrical power generation, Transmission and distribution