Areas of expertise
- Abstract algebra
- Combinatorial design theory
- Coding theory and information security
- Biometrics and complex networks
- Fellow, Australian Mathematical Society, 2001
- Life Member, Combinatorial Mathematics Society of Australasia, 1993
- Fellow, Institute of Combinatorics and its Applications, 1991
- Director and Lead Researcher of national competitive and internal research projects awarded more than AUD 2.9M in funding since 2003. Professor Horadam has held 3 ARC Large/Discovery Grants and 2 ARC Linkage Grants.
Computers - Information security; Information - Biometrics; Information - Coding and cryptology; Information - Information security
- Honours Advanced Topics in Discrete Mathematics
- Professor of Mathematics
- Application of finite group cohomology to combinatorial design theory and to reliable and secure digital communications. Professor Horadam is an originator of the theory of cocyclic Hadamard matrices and the originator of the theory of cocyclic error-correcting codes.
- Information Security, specialising in nonlinearity of data and digital sequences used for cryptographic purposes, and authentication and identification problems, particularly biometrics.
- Complex spatial and information networks.
- Author of over 90 research publications; keynote speaker and session chair at numerous national and international conferences.
- Senior or sole supervisor of 9 Postdoctoral Research Fellows (8 completed) and of 14 Postgraduate Research Students (8 PhD and 3 MSc completed) and second supervisor of 5 PhD students (3 completed).
- Supervisor of 9 Honours student theses (9 completed).
- Doctor of Philosophy, Pure Mathematics, Australian National University, 1977
- Bachelor of Science (Honours 1st class), Pure Mathematics, Australian National University, 1972
- Cox, S.,Horadam, K.,Rao, A. (2017). The spread of ideas in a weighted threshold network In: Proceedings of the 5th International Workshop on Complex Networks and their Applications (Complex Networks 2016), Milan, Italy, 30 November - 2 December 2016
- Alzahrani, T.,Horadam, K. (2016). Community detection in bipartite networks: Algorithms and case studies In: Complex systems and networks : Dynamics, controls and applications, Springer, Berlin, Germany
- Kotzerke, J.,Hao, H.,Davis, S.,Hayes, R.,Spreeuwers, L.,Veldhuis, R.,Horadam, K. (2016). Identification performance of evidential value estimation for ridge-based biometrics In: EURASIP Journal on Information Security, 2016, 1 - 10
- Arakala, A.,Hao, H.,Davis, S.,Horadam, K. (2015). The Palm Vein Graph: Feature Extraction and Matching In: 1st International Conference on Information Systems Security and Privacy (ICISSP 2015), Rome, Italy, 19-21 February 2016
- Hecker, A.,Carstens, J.,Horadam, K. (2015). Neighbourhood distinctiveness: An initial study In: Proceedings of the 6th Workshop on Complex Networks Complex Networks VI (CompleNet 2015), New York, United States, 25-27 March 2015
- Kotzerke, J.,Davis, S.,Hayes, R.,Spreeuwers, L.,Veldhuis, R.,Horadam, K. (2015). Discriminating fingermarks with evidential value for forensic comparison In: Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Biometrics and Forensics (IWBF 2015), Gj�vik, Norway, 3-4 March 2015
- Arakala, A.,Hao, H.,Davis, S.,Horadam, K. (2015). The Palm Vein Graph for Biometric Authentication In: Information Systems Security and Privacy, Springer, Switzerland
- Kotzerke, J.,Davis, S.,Hayes, R.,Spreeuwers, L.,Veldhuis, R.,Horadam, K. (2015). Identification performance of evidential value estimation for fingermarks In: Proceedings of the 14th International Conference of the Biometrics Special Interest Group (BIOSIG 2015), Darmstadt, Germany, 9-11 September 2015
- Alzahrani, T.,Horadam, K. (2014). Analysis of two crime-related networks derived from bipartite social networks In: Proceedings of the 2014 IEEE/ACM International Conference on Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining, Beijing, China, 17 - 20 August 2014
- Mayson, S.,Davis, S.,Horadam, K.,McVernon, J. (2014). Happy Feet - Foot Biometric scaning In: The Future is Here Melbourne, Australia
- Secure User Authentication With Continuous Adaptive Risk Evaluation. Funded by: ARC Linkage Grant 2014 Round 1 from (2015 to 2018)
- Multimodal Biometrics Platform. Funded by: Enterprise Connnect - Researchers in Business 2014 from (2014 to 2015)
- Novel Dissimilarity Techniques for Characterising Noisy Spatial Networks. Funded by: ARC Discovery 2012 from (2012 to 2014)
- A Fast and Effective Automated Insider Threat Detection and Prediction System. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project 2011 Round 2 from (2011 to 2014)
- Happy Feet: Novel footprint recognition to support childhood vaccination. Funded by: Gates Foundation Grant pre-2014 from (2011 to 2013)
Note: Supervision projects since 2004
11 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions2 PhD Current Supervisions
Information security, particularly biometrics; applied algebra and combinatorics, particularly cocyclic matrices, error-correcting codes and nonlinear cryptographic functions; and complex networks.