Dr. Akram Hourani main research areas are: wireless communications, stochastic geometry, aerial networks, and radar systems.
- Engineering / Program Manager ICT (2006 - 2013)
- Research fellow, The university of Melbourne (2016)
- Lecturer, RMIT University (2016 - Current)
Honors and awards
- Senior member at the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (SMIEEE)
- High Achiever in the Student Choice Teaching Award for RMIT Collage of Science, Engineering and Health (2015).
- First Prize Award for the Best Presentation, RMIT Higher Degree Research Conference, (2014).
Research projects involvement
- ABSOLUTE: Europe-Union FP-7 Project. Public safety and disaster recovery communication solutions.
- Australian Research Council Discovery Project Grant “Cognitive Radars for Automobiles”, ARC grant number DP150104473
- Wireless communications
- Stochastic geometry
- Aerial networks (Air-to-Ground communications)
- Automotive Radar systems and interference
- Vehicular communications
- Millimeter-wave technology
- Bachelor of Engineering in Communication and Electronics, Beirut Arab University, Beirut, Lebanon (2006)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Wireless Communications), RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia (2016).
Dr. Hourani has more than 7 years of industry experience, worked as a radio and network planning engineer for mobile telecom industry, and then as an ICT Program / Engineering Manager for several projects spanning over different technologies including mobile networks deployment, satellite networks, and railway communication systems, in his roles Dr. Hourani combined both managerial and technical skills for excellent project delivery and business acquisition.
Industry technical skills
- ICT systems design and architecture (Wireless Networks, Indoor and outdoor RF Planning, Satellite Systems)
- Bidding and cost estimation
- Embedded systems research and development
Industry managerial skills
- Business development
- Program and project management
- Corporate strategic planning
- Hourani, A.,Evans, R.,Sithamparanathan, K.,Moran, W.,Eltom, H. (2017). Stochastic Geometry Methods for Modeling Automotive Radar Interference In: IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, , 1 - 12
- Hourani, A.,Chandrasekharan, S.,Sithamparanathan, K.,Jamalipour, A. (2017). Aerial platforms for public safety networks and performance optimization In: Wireless Public Safety Networks 3, Elsevier, London, United Kingdom
- Al-Hourani, A.,Sithamparanathan, K.,Arunthavanathan, S. (2016). Temporary cognitive small cell networks for rapid and emergency deployments In: Small Cell Networks: Design and Deployment, Cambridge University Press, Unnited Kingdom
- Hourani, A.,Sithamparanathan, K. (2016). On modeling coverage and rate of random cellular networks under generic channel fading In: Wireless Networks, 22, 2623 - 2635
- Al-Hourani, A.,Sithamparanathan, K.,Hossain, E. (2016). Relay-assisted device-to-device communication: A stochastic analysis of energy saving In: IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 15, 3129 - 3141
- Chandrasekharan, S.,Gomez Chavez, K.,Al-Hourani, A.,Sithamparanathan, K.,Rasheed, T.,Goratti, L.,Reynaud, L.,Grace, D.,Bucaille, I.,Wirth, T.,Allsopp, S. (2016). Designing and implementing future aerial communication networks In: IEEE Communications Magazine, 54, 26 - 34
- Hourani, A.,Evans, R.,Sithamparanathan, K. (2016). Nearest neighbor distance distribution in hard-core point processes In: IEEE Communications Letters, 20, 1872 - 1875
- Hourani, A.,Chandrasekharan, S.,Kaandorp, G.,Glenn, W.,Jamalipour, A.,Sithamparanathan, K. (2016). Coverage and rate analysis of aerial base stations In: IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, 52, 3077 - 3081
- Chandrasekharan, S.,Hourani, A.,Magowe, K.,Reynaud, L.,Sithamparanathan, K. (2015). Propagation measurements for D2D in rural areas In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communication Workshop (ICC 2015), London, United Kingdom, 8-12 June 2015
- Hourani, A.,Chandrasekharan, S.,Jamalipour, A.,Reynaud, L.,Sithamparanathan, K. (2015). Optimal cluster head spacing for energy-efficient communication in aerial-backhauled networks In: 2015 IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM), San Diego, United States, 6-10 December 2015
4 PhD Current Supervisions