Dr. Akram Hourani main research areas are: wireless communications, stochastic geometry, aerial networks, and radar systems.
- Engineering / Program Manager ICT (2006 - 2013)
- Research fellow, The university of Melbourne (2016)
- Lecturer, RMIT University (2016 - Current)
Honors and awards
- Senior member at the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (SMIEEE)
- High Achiever in the Student Choice Teaching Award for RMIT Collage of Science, Engineering and Health (2015).
- First Prize Award for the Best Presentation, RMIT Higher Degree Research Conference, (2014).
Research projects involvement
- ABSOLUTE: Europe-Union FP-7 Project. Public safety and disaster recovery communication solutions.
- Australian Research Council Discovery Project Grant “Cognitive Radars for Automobiles”, ARC grant number DP150104473
- Wireless communications
- Stochastic geometry
- Aerial networks (Air-to-Ground communications)
- Automotive Radar systems and interference
- Vehicular communications
- Millimeter-wave technology
- Bachelor of Engineering in Communication and Electronics, Beirut Arab University, Beirut, Lebanon (2006)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Wireless Communications), RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia (2016).
Dr. Hourani has more than 7 years of industry experience, worked as a radio and network planning engineer for mobile telecom industry, and then as an ICT Program / Engineering Manager for several projects spanning over different technologies including mobile networks deployment, satellite networks, and railway communication systems, in his roles Dr. Hourani combined both managerial and technical skills for excellent project delivery and business acquisition.
Industry technical skills
- ICT systems design and architecture (Wireless Networks, Indoor and outdoor RF Planning, Satellite Systems)
- Bidding and cost estimation
- Embedded systems research and development
Industry managerial skills
- Business development
- Program and project management
- Corporate strategic planning
- Chandrasekharan, S.,Gomez Chavez, K.,Al-Hourani, A.,Sithamparanathan, K.,Rasheed, T.,Goratti, L.,Reynaud, L.,Grace, D.,Bucaille, I.,Wirth, T.,Allsopp, S. (2016). Designing and implementing future aerial communication networks In: IEEE Communications Magazine, 54, 26 - 34
- Hourani, A.,Sithamparanathan, K.,Lardner, S. (2014). Optimal LAP altitude for maximum coverage In: IEEE Wireless Communication Letters, 3, 569 - 572
- Hourani, A.,Chandrasekharan, S.,Sithamparanathan, K. (2014). Path loss study for millimeter wave device-to-device communications in urban environment In: Proceedings of the 2014 International Conference on Communications Workshops (ICC), Sydney, Australia, 10-14 June 2014
- Tang, C.,Sithamparanathan, K.,Hourani, A.,Munari, A.,Berioli, M. (2014). Spectrum sensing for cognitive maritime VHF networks In: Proceedings of IEEE OCEANS 2014 - TAIPEI, Taipei, Taiwan, 7-10 April 2014
- Hourani, A.,Sithamparanathan, K.,Jamalipour, A. (2014). Modeling air-to-ground path loss for low altitude platforms in urban environments In: Proceedings of the 2014 IEEE Global Communications Conference (Globecom 2014), Austin, United States, 8 - 12 December 2014
- Hourani, A.,Sithamparanathan, K. (2013). Temporary cognitive femtocell network for public safety LTE In: Proceedings of the 2013 IEEE 18th International Workshop on Computer Aided Modeling and Design of Communication Links and Networks (CAMAD) IEEE, Berlin, Germany, 25-27 September 2013
- Hourani, A.,Sithamparanathan, K. (2013). Cognitive relay nodes for airborne LTE emergency networks In: Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication Systems (ICSPCS), Gold Coast, Australia, 16 - 18 December, 2013