- Orchidaceae, mycorrhizal fungi
- Environmental changes and impacts (fire, climate change)
- Medicinal plants
- Cancer and photobiology
- Cardiovascular diseases (diabetes, obesity)
- Gene expression
- Protein expression
- Molecular biology
Building design competition
Design a building to inspire learning and plants and win a trip to Malaysia (includes accommodation and transfers up to the value of $5000) by 31 May 2017 - contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further info.
Design requirements include:
- Must include a picture or drawing of your building and detailed descriptions
- Designs can be for exterior facades or interior spaces for a commercial building
- Designs must be innovative, sustainable and energy efficient
- Suitable for Malaysian tropical climate
- Inspire learning about plants and the environment
Competition is sponsored by Gain-Green.
- Fire impact on orchid and mycorrhizal fungi regeneration, growth and diversity.
- Environmental impacts on orchids and mycorrhizal fungi.
- Seasonal impacts on mycorrhizal fungi and orchids.
- Mycorrhizal fungi and orchid diversity using qPCR base pair substitution analysis.
- Detection and characterisation of orchid viruses in industry and nature.
- Varietal evaluation of commercially available Momordica cochinchinensis (Lour.) Spreng. from Northern and Southern Vietnam.
- Effect of tree growth stages and extraction methods on olive (Olea europaea) leaf extracts.
- Changes in gene expression for orchid flower colour.
- Quantification of beneficial bacteria in biosolids using qPCR.
- Cellular apoptotic and stress inflammation pathways involved in skin cancer (carcinoma and melanoma).
- Neuronal nitrergic transcription and expression arising from cardiovascular diseases.
- Antioxidant, anticancer, antimicrobial and anti-inflammation properties of medicinal plants.
Considering joining? Contact Tien for a lab tour or discussion.
- Cell and Tissue Culture (BIOL2264)
- Cell Structure and Function (BIOL2333)
- Earth’s Life Support Systems (ENVI1142)
- Environmental Science Project (ENVI1144)
- Functional Genomics and Proteomics (BIOL2267)
- Plant Diversity (BIOL2344)
- Scientific Skills and Communication (ONPS2334, ONPS2375)
- Scientific Skills and Tools (BIOL2310)
- Bachelor of Applied Sciences (Biology Biotechnology) Hons, RMIT University, Australia.
- Doctorate of Philosophy (Institute of Land and Food Resources), The University of Melbourne, Australia.
- Postdoctorate (Jodrell and Micropropagation Laboratory) Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew England.
- Postdoctorate (Department of Structural and Functional Biology) University of Naples, Italy.
- Postdoctorate (Cancer and Tissue Repair Research), RMIT University, Australia.
- Postdoctorate (Neuropharmacology and Neuroinflammatory Research), RMIT University, Austalia.
- Wimalasiri, D.,Piva, T.,Urban, S.,Huynh, T. (2016). Morphological and genetic diversity of Momordica cochinchinenesis (Cucurbitaceae) in Vietnam and Thailand In: Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution: an international journal, 63, 19 - 33
- Fong, S.,Piva, T.,Dekiwadia, C.,Urban, S.,Huynh, T. (2016). Comparison of cytotoxicity between extracts of Clinacanthus nutans (Burm. F.) Lindau leaves from different locations and the induction of apoptosis by the crude methanol leaf extract in D24 human melanoma cells In: BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 16, 1 - 12
- Wimalasiri, D.,Piva, T.,Huynh, T. (2016). Diversity in nutrition and bioactivity of Momordica cochinchinensis In: International Journal on Advanced Science, Engineering and Information Technology, 6, 378 - 380
- Fong, S.,Piva, T.,Urban, S.,Huynh, T. (2014). Genetic homogeneity of vegetatively propagated Clinacanthus nutans (Acanthaceae) In: Journal of Medicinal Plants Research, 8, 903 - 914
- Huynh, T.,Chan, K.,Piva, T. (2009). Effect of ultraviolet radiation on the expression of pp38MAPK and furin in human keratinocyte-derived cell lines In: Photodermatology Photoimmunology and Photomedicine, 25, 20 - 29
- Huynh, T.,Thompson, R.,Mclean, C.,Lawrie, A. (2009). Functional and genetic diversity of mycorrhizal fungi from single plants of Caladenia formosa In: Annals of Botany, 104, 747 - 765
- Wright, M.,Cross, R.,Dixon, K.,Huynh, T.,Lawrie, A.,Nesbitt, L.,Pritchard, A.,Swarts, N.,Thompson, R. (2009). Propagation and reintroduction of Caladenia In: Australian Journal of Botany, 57, 373 - 387
- Is fire a friend or foe to our native Victorian orchids?. Funded by: Helen Macpherson Smith Grant pre-2014 from (2009 to 2011)
- Fire-induced morphological and functional differences in orchid mycorrhizal fungi. Funded by: Australian Orchid Foundation Educational Projects from (2008 to 2009)
2 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions2 PhD Current Supervisions