Areas of research and consulting experience
- Water Engineering
- Water and Wastewater Management
- Stormwater Management
- UNDP Fellowship for a duration of 8 weeks in 1999/2000 to investigate rainfall-runoff-landuse relationships in the Nilwala Basin, in Sri Lanka and to develop a course module in Flood Estimation for the Agricultural Engineering Course at University of Ruhuna in Sri Lanka.
- G.N. Alexander Medal – Awarded by the Institution of Engineers, Australia in 1997 for the best research paper published. The title of the paper was ’The Estimation of Monthly Yield in Ungauged Catchments Using a Lumped Conceptual Model’.
- W.H. Warren Medal - Awarded by the Institution of Engineers Australia, Civil Engineering Branch in 1998 for the above paper as the best research paper published in the Civil Engineering discipline.
Active research areas
- Development of a toolkit to minimise water use in small to medium scale food processing industry
- Investigating stormwater recycling using pervious pavements
- Estimating flood peaks from ungauged catchments
- Evaluating the impact on river health due to sewer overflows
- Water conservation and alternative water reuse
- B.Sc.Eng. (Hons) Civil Engineering, 1978, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
- M.Eng., Soil and Water Engineering, 1980, Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, Thailand
- Ph.D., (Water Resources), 1990, Melbourne University
- Corporate Member, Institution of Engineers, Australia, (1995)
- Certified, Chartered Professional Engineer, (1995)
- Rahmat, S.,Jayasuriya, N.,Adnan, M.,Bhuiyan, M. (2016). Analysis of spatio-temporal trends using Standardised Precipitation Index (SPI) In: Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 11, 2387 - 2392
- Bhuiyan, M.,Jayasuriya, N.,Schneider, M. (2016). Bushfires and its implication on water supplies in Victoria, Australia In: International Journal of Civil Engineering and Architecture, 2, 1 - 11
- Rahmat, S.,Jayasuriya, N.,Bhuiyan, M. (2016). Short-term droughts forecast using Markov chain model in Victoria, Australia In: Theoretical and Applied Climatology, (), 1-13, , 1 - 13
- Rahmat, S.,Jayasuriya, N.,Bhuiyan, M. (2015). Assessing droughts using meteorological drought indices in Victoria, Australia In: Hydrology Research, 46, 463 - 476
- Rahmat, S.,Jayasuriya, N.,Bhuiyan, M. (2015). Precipitation trends in Victoria, Australia In: Journal of Water and Climate Change, 6, 278 - 287
- Rahmat, S.,Jayasuriya, N.,Bhuiyan, M. (2015). Development of drought severity-duration-frequency curves in Victoria, Australia In: Australian Journal of Water Resources, 19, 31 - 42
- Dissanayake Mudiyanselage, C.,Jayasuriya, N.,Bari, M.,Bhuiyan, M. (2015). Hydrological drought assessment in Northern Victoria, Australia In: Proceedings of the 36th Hydrology and Water Resources Symposium (HWRS 2015), Hobart, Tasmania, 7-10 December 2015
- Ab Aziz, N.,Jayasuriya, N.,Fan, L. (2015). Application of Moringa oleifera seeds and Musa cavendish as coagulants for lead, nickel and cadmium removal from drinking water In: Proceedings of the Asia Pacific Confederation of Chemical Engineering Congress 2015: APCChE 2015, incorporating CHEMECA 2015, Melbourne, Australia, 27 September - 01 October 2015
- Matamala, M.,Jayasuriya, N. (2015). Investigating the performance of WSUD assets in relation to design, construction and maintenance practices In: Proceedings of the 9th International Water Sensitive Urban Design (WSUD 2015), Sydney, Australia, 19 - 23 October 2015
- Illangasinghe, W.,Rathnayake, N.,Manatunge, J.,Jayasuriya, N. (2014). Evaluation of the performance of a sludge blanket clarifier in water treatment In: Proceedings of the Institution of Engineers, Sri Lanka Transactions 2014, Volume 1 - Part B - Technical Papers, Colombo, Sri Lanka,
- A Toolkit to Minimise Water Use in Small Scale Food Processing Industry. Funded by: Smart Water Fund from (2007 to 2008)
Note: Supervision projects since 2004
12 PhD Current Supervisions8 PhD Completions and 10 Masters by Research Completions
Surface water modelling.